Clutch switch...again?

4.2 V8 32v Naturally Aspirated - 414 bhp
RS4Guy
1st Gear

Clutch switch...again?

Post by RS4Guy » Thu Sep 04, 2014 10:44 am

Morning,

Couldn't start the car this morning, have walked to the office instead.

Pressed the start button (foot firmly on the clutch), nothing happened. Lately, after depressing the button and releasing it, it has taken a few seconds before it begins turning over and starting. Now, completely nothing. Tried holding the start button down rather than releasing and still nothing.

I am assuming it is the clutch switch again. Unless anyone thinks otherwise, views welcome.

Looking on previous threads, I have obtained the part numbers for the two clutch switches as 6Q0 927 189 and 7H0 927 189. Audi do not recognise these numbers. Anyone know the current part number or alternatively if it is the 4-pin switch that I need. I changed the switch 2 years ago on this car and cannot remember how many pins it had, 2 or 4. :audibash:

Many thanks.
Current: 2007 B7 RS4 Avant sprint blue
Current: 2004/04 TT V6 DSG dolomite with BBS LM.
Gone list: 2018 C7 RS6 Performance in Nardo, 2007 B7 RS4 Avant Phantom Black (should never have sold it), 2003/03 8N TT 225 Black, 2002 8L S3 in Silver, Renaultsport Clio 172 - x2

MikeFish
Cruising

Re: Clutch switch...again?

Post by MikeFish » Thu Sep 04, 2014 3:27 pm

Mine does this and VCDS showed a couple of errors that looked like a low battery so I changed that and it still does it (not plugged it in to VCDS again though).
I don't think it's the clutch switch becuase I can hear a relay clicking when I press it and more importantly I can press the button, release it, then a few seconds later it starts, which it wouldn't do if it was the clutch switch.
This takes me back to my first thought and that is that the starter motor is toast. I bet that is your problem.

MikeFish
Cruising

Post by MikeFish » Thu Sep 04, 2014 3:33 pm

From Stoke Audi:
A starter motor at our price :£315.17, however you can exchange the old part and the cost would then be: £224.65

MikeFish
Cruising

Post by MikeFish » Thu Sep 04, 2014 3:37 pm

Eurocarparts show it as £180 and there's a 30% discount floating around too. Unfortunately out of stock.

RS4Guy
1st Gear

Post by RS4Guy » Thu Sep 04, 2014 5:08 pm

Got home this afternoon, thought I'd give it another try before removing the panels to get at the switch and get the part number. Damn thing started, but it took about 10 seconds of listening to clicking sounds from relays before anything happened. Definitely not the starter motor - phew!

Besides, for a £15 clutch switch i think I'd try that first before worrying that it might be something more serious like the starter motor. To be fair if you can get a starter motor for £180 , that seems almost reasonable compared to the price of other consumables on this car, such as discs and pads.

One happy RS4 owner again.
Gone list: 2018 C7 RS6 Performance in Nardo, 2007 B7 RS4 Avant Phantom Black (should never have sold it), 2003/03 8N TT 225 Black, 2002 8L S3 in Silver, Renaultsport Clio 172 - x2

MikeFish
Cruising

Post by MikeFish » Thu Sep 04, 2014 6:03 pm

Sounds even more like a starter motor to me. Why did you think that eliminated the starter motor? If the relays are clicking it's not the clutch switch but by all means change it first. The starter motor might be reasonably priced but then you need to add labour to it too. Pretty sure you can't just jack the car up and swap It out like you could in the old days; probably need to remove half a dozen but to get to it and still scrape all the skin off your knuckles.

RS4Guy
1st Gear

Post by RS4Guy » Thu Sep 04, 2014 6:38 pm

Thanks Mike, i really do hope you are wrong. As you say, getting to the starter motor is no easy job without the right tools and equipment. As modern cars get ever more complicated, these jobs are less easy to do oneself. Not like the good ol days.

Time will tell, I'll see how things are tomorrow...

MikeFish
Cruising

Post by MikeFish » Thu Sep 04, 2014 8:05 pm

I've got my fingers crossed for you.

PetrolDave
Cruising

Post by PetrolDave » Fri Sep 05, 2014 2:49 pm

MikeFish wrote:Sounds even more like a starter motor to me. Why did you think that eliminated the starter motor? If the relays are clicking it's not the clutch switch but by all means change it first.
+1

If you hear clicking then the relays/solenoid are being energised, which to me all but eliminates the clutch switch and points at the starter motor.
Gone: 2006 B7 RS4 Avant (Phantom Black)

adsgreen
Cruising

Post by adsgreen » Fri Sep 05, 2014 5:08 pm

worth checking the battery. If there is insufficient amps to engage the start motor relay it'll click out and abort the starting.
It'll sound a bit like a machine gun when it's doing it.

RS4Guy
1st Gear

Post by RS4Guy » Sat Sep 06, 2014 8:24 pm

Update: clutch switch changed, car starts as it should again on the first press and release of the button. I will keep an eye on the starter motor, but if it ain't broke, don't fix it!

Anyway, 2 days without being able to drive my car did give me the excuse (as if needed) to give it a proper good run this afternoon! Still smiling.

andyg72
4th Gear

Post by andyg72 » Thu Nov 26, 2015 12:34 am

Still ok ?
I'm experiencing similar issues had mine plugged in and flagged up a faulty relay so ordered one and to find there's 2 ?
Any way replaced the one and seemed OK for a while but problem is back I'm guessing other relay or clutch switch ?
Did you get the part number to the clutch switch I've also read there's an upper and lower blue & white which one is it more likely to be ?

Failing failing that I'll be looking at starter ... To add seems the problem is only there when the car is cold ?

Thanks

MikeFish
Cruising

Post by MikeFish » Thu Nov 26, 2015 1:59 am

Andy, sounds just like my problem. I have replaced both clutch switches and it made no difference. Changed the battery and made no difference. I can hear the relays clicking away so I don't think it is those. It has started to get worse now, so I have a new starter motor waiting to be fitted next week.

andyg72
4th Gear

Post by andyg72 » Thu Nov 26, 2015 7:46 pm

MikeFish wrote:Andy, sounds just like my problem. I have replaced both clutch switches and it made no difference. Changed the battery and made no difference. I can hear the relays clicking away so I don't think it is those. It has started to get worse now, so I have a new starter motor waiting to be fitted next week.

Oh right well I've only replaced one relay at this stage but there's 2 as you know and the vcds is flagging a relay issue so for now I'll replace the other fingers crossed

What did you pay for the starter and where from I'm guessing you don't really need to pay dealer prices

MikeFish
Cruising

Post by MikeFish » Thu Nov 26, 2015 8:44 pm

andyg72 wrote:
MikeFish wrote:Andy, sounds just like my problem. I have replaced both clutch switches and it made no difference. Changed the battery and made no difference. I can hear the relays clicking away so I don't think it is those. It has started to get worse now, so I have a new starter motor waiting to be fitted next week.

Oh right well I've only replaced one relay at this stage but there's 2 as you know and the vcds is flagging a relay issue so for now I'll replace the other fingers crossed

What did you pay for the starter and where from I'm guessing you don't really need to pay dealer prices
It was about £180 from Euro Car Parts. Plus I used a 10% discount code. And you get about £35 back if you send your old one to them after you change them.

I was reading that it is easier (necessary?) to remove one of the engine mounts to change the starter so I am now thinking about changing the engine mounts while it is out (maybe even do both). Also need load of nuts / bolts beause some of the ones you need to remove (i.e. from the anti-roll bar) are use once bolts. This means by the time I collect the right bolts and mounts it will probably be 2 weeks before it gets done.

Return to “RS4 (B7 Typ 8E) 2006–2008”