Track tires and rims

4.2 V8 32v Naturally Aspirated - 414 bhp
leadfoot
1st Gear

Track tires and rims

Post by leadfoot » Thu Aug 28, 2014 1:33 am

I am interested to hear what people are using as dedicated track tires and rims.

I know an 18 inch rim would be ideal, and the choices in tires are far greater, but I already have an extra OEM set, and am looking for tire choices. The only problem is I can find any in the 255/35/19 sizing.

The closest I can find is a Toyo R888 in 265/35/19. The diameter is 26.2 vs OEM 26 and with a little wider, which shouldn't be an issue as I am running 275/30/19s on the street.

Thanks
Mark

adsgreen
Cruising

Re: Track tires and rims

Post by adsgreen » Thu Aug 28, 2014 8:10 am

Iirc the load rating is a fair whack lower.

The extra width may be an issue. You can generate much higher corner loads with semi slick so whilst a road tyre may not rub, a similar sized semi slick may. Also on track depending on your line you generally benefit from a larger sidewall to absorb the bumps (wheels are lighter too)
Worth searching sonny ' s posts as he ran r888's on track but in 18" size

Personally with a road car I'd put the hardest cheapest tyres on. The reasons are:
-track tyres won't last long on a 1700 km car
-expensive
-are faster but not by a huge part
-operating envelope is harsher so if you are relatively new to track driving they let go pretty sharpish.
-road tyres are more progressive, slide easily and can be more fun
-wear n tear on suspension, brakes etc is alot higher with sticky tyres. You will probably kill the pads at a high speed circuit like Silverstone.
-if it rains then you are fecked (both on track and getting to and from there)

stu
5th Gear

Post by stu » Thu Aug 28, 2014 12:58 pm

Interesting, Ads.

Here's what I'm doing with two sets of 19" wheels for my first track day. As suggested by the fellas I'm buying the tyres from - possible conflict of interest on their part but I follow their logic :lol:

Dependant on tread depths it might work for you.

- I purchased a new set of Goodyear F1 AS2s earlier than usual. They're going on the car straightaway.
- the current (~3.5mm) F1s will go to Spa in the boot. I'll swap into them for the day.
- the newer ones will go back on for the way home.

If the track's really wet (it's Spa) I might even keep the new ones on.

adsgreen
Cruising

Post by adsgreen » Thu Aug 28, 2014 5:30 pm

That seems pretty sensible to me - it's exactly what I'd do to be honest.

The new tyres will be nicely run in so no release agents left in. As you say great backup if wet 'cause spa is a dangerous place when anything more than damp. As an old classic track there are a few car breaker corners waiting for you if you screw up.

3.5mm is more than enough for a day probably be near but not quite slick by the end of the day. Might just even be legal but still not advisable to drive on under 3 mm.

J130YCE
3rd Gear

Post by J130YCE » Thu Aug 28, 2014 8:51 pm

Mmm interesting, I'm just considering a spare set for ADI and unsure of the next set of tyres. Going to do my research over the next few weeks. I'm considering going for a set of twenties for looks and street driving and getting the originals shod with ...well not sure yet?

I'll watch this space.
BMW M2 Comp
RS4 Supercharged
Current Abarth 500c Two tone Grey and Mint - a modified go-cart.
Current T5 180 bi-turbo - modified, Reimo pop top, ABT kit, Caravelle 7 seats, going on 'air' this summer
Gone RS4 B7 Avant MRC, MK5 R32, 205 GTI, Mk1 golfs... plus some other poor souls

Return to “RS4 (B7 Typ 8E) 2006–2008”