Standard airbox versus aftermarket

4.2 V8 32v Naturally Aspirated - 414 bhp
frank
1st Gear

Standard airbox versus aftermarket

Post by frank » Mon Aug 25, 2014 7:02 pm

Hi chaps after doing some searches on the forum the consensus seems to be keep standard airbox? Would just like someone to clarify please
MRC-TTS Supercharged B7 RS4.

adsgreen
Cruising

Re: Standard airbox versus aftermarket

Post by adsgreen » Mon Aug 25, 2014 7:17 pm

"depends"

If you want a pretty engine bay with great induction noise then the aftermarket boxes sounds great.

If you want ultimate top output then the standard seems to do the job better.

docurley
5th Gear

Post by docurley » Mon Aug 25, 2014 7:32 pm

Audi tend to make a great performing air boxes for all their cars.
Avus Audi RS4 2076|Black optic |Carbon Airbag surround|LED'S inside|RNS-E style Android Stereo with DAB+ dongle|

MikeFish
Cruising

Post by MikeFish » Mon Aug 25, 2014 8:11 pm

adsgreen wrote:"depends"

If you want a pretty engine bay with great induction noise then the aftermarket boxes sounds great.

Spot on advice.

Deano_123
3rd Gear

Post by Deano_123 » Mon Aug 25, 2014 8:49 pm

adsgreen wrote:"depends"

This. The revolution kit sounds awesome

KGRS4
2nd Gear

Post by KGRS4 » Mon Aug 25, 2014 9:42 pm

My view is - car manufacturers don't spend hundreds of thousands researching, designing and developing the air box and exhausts for aftermarket companies to make better ones or the car manufacturer would have made those ones to start with :beerchug:
Red B7 RS4 Saloon......That is all!!

MikeFish
Cruising

Post by MikeFish » Mon Aug 25, 2014 10:24 pm

KGRS4 wrote:My view is - car manufacturers don't spend hundreds of thousands researching, designing and developing the air box and exhausts for aftermarket companies to make better ones or the car manufacturer would have made those ones to start with :beerchug:
I could argue that they sometimes they get it wrong. Need I mention carbon cleaning and oil cooler pipes? Yes in this instance the air box and exhaust were spot on but that's not always the case and without trying aftermarket items we wouldn't know how good the originals are. Some cars have not got the best possible part because it will be built to price, some have lesser performing parts because they don't want to over stress other components and keep things working nicely to minimise warranty claims etc. Some will be made in a particular way because the majority of buyers don't want a noisy air box or exhaust too or it will fail TUV approval or other regulations that aftermarket components are not.bound by.

KGRS4
2nd Gear

Post by KGRS4 » Mon Aug 25, 2014 10:37 pm

MikeFish wrote:
KGRS4 wrote:My view is - car manufacturers don't spend hundreds of thousands researching, designing and developing the air box and exhausts for aftermarket companies to make better ones or the car manufacturer would have made those ones to start with :beerchug:
I could argue that they sometimes they get it wrong. Need I mention carbon cleaning and oil cooler pipes? Yes in this instance the air box and exhaust were spot on but that's not always the case and without trying aftermarket items we wouldn't know how good the originals are. Some cars have not got the best possible part because it will be built to price, some have lesser performing parts because they don't want to over stress other components and keep things working nicely to minimise warranty claims etc. Some will be made in a particular way because the majority of buyers don't want a noisy air box or exhaust too or it will fail TUV approval or other regulations that aftermarket components are not.bound by.
But on an air box and exhaust point of view for high performance cars, i mean you wouldn't go putting a K&N on a Ferrari and it should be the same for our cars (driver dependent on what he wants of course, noise over power etc) unfortunately every car has problems and that's what the re-call system is good for (but not for the carbon problem!!!!!!! :audibash: :audibash: :audibash: )

frank
1st Gear

Post by frank » Tue Aug 26, 2014 7:50 am

Thanks for the replys lads.

I would prefer the standard airbox in terms of looks. Keep trying to work out this aux rad delete and cold air feed but I can't quite get me head round how it works. I have, however, already fitted a non res Milltek which in my opinion finishes the car. I don't think it was, dare I say, 'lairy enough'. Some of your comments there make me wonder if I have made a mistake.

I have a health check at MRC on friday although I am fairly confident that it is not running down on power. The car was OEM when I bought it and had a new engine only 9k ago under warranty so this leads me to believe it is pretty fresh. Oh, and that it was comfortably ahead of a new shape RS4 at a 1/4mile day recently at north weald.

The old search button does throw up alot of answers but isn't always perfect for clarity. Seems alot of you lads prefer different things to the bloke next to you.

KGRS4
2nd Gear

Post by KGRS4 » Tue Aug 26, 2014 8:02 am

Any reason given why the previous owner got a new engine fitted?

frank
1st Gear

Post by frank » Tue Aug 26, 2014 11:41 am

I have the documents from audi here and in their words it says...

Caryr out diag, found engine locked up. Removed plugs and inspected bores found damage to piston crown on cyl, requires engine removal and inspection.

Out of curiosity the engine was... £8542 done under warranty. At the same time had new clutch, flywheel etc. The car had ignition coils replaced (all cars before 2007) two front shockers.

Basically when i Bought it i thought hmmm its had a new engine thats not good. but then look at the work done its 'ooo its had a new engine' its like a new car.

TonyHayers
5th Gear

Post by TonyHayers » Tue Aug 26, 2014 12:30 pm

The argument that manufacturers have designed and tested all parts of a vehicle in a utopian vacuum before it hits the forecourt just doesn't make sense. There are plenty of reasons why development and manufacturing costs are impinged upon and lead to a less than perfect solution. As for recalls, there are a whole bunch of other reasons why they don't happen for a given fault e.g. fault doesn't affect safety and therefore reduced legal impact, low production numbers on road means less chance of bad PR etc.

That said, I don't think there are any major issues with the airbox on the b7. Some people mod for sound, some for performance and some for looks. Revolution and GruppeM intakes look and sound good, but will make it harder to retain power due to sucking in hot engine bay air.

For performance alone, I reckon the best bet would be CAF from aux rad delete into stock airbox with flap removed and possibly enlarged intake. Replace paper filter with less restrictive K&N or similar, then cover the entire airbox unit and intake pipe with reflective material.
06 Phantom Black Saloon:
DONE: Water Meth Injection, Carbon clean at 64k, CAI, Gutted Precats, Non-res x-pipe, H&R 8mm spacers, H&R springs
^ GONE :cry:

frank
1st Gear

Post by frank » Tue Aug 26, 2014 12:43 pm

Thanks Tony.

Would you have any pictures of the cold air feed and aux rad delete?

Am I right in saying the aux rad is only another part of the actual cooling system and is just blanked or looped off?

docurley
5th Gear

Post by docurley » Tue Aug 26, 2014 12:55 pm

Here's my write-up on the Aux Rad delete after mine stated leaking and I went the CAI route to sort the problem and I have to say it was quite easy if you dont mind messing with cars.

viewtopic.php?f=35&t=110875&start=75
Avus Audi RS4 2076|Black optic |Carbon Airbag surround|LED'S inside|RNS-E style Android Stereo with DAB+ dongle|

TonyHayers
5th Gear

Post by TonyHayers » Tue Aug 26, 2014 2:41 pm

frank wrote:Thanks Tony.

Would you have any pictures of the cold air feed and aux rad delete?

Am I right in saying the aux rad is only another part of the actual cooling system and is just blanked or looped off?
There's a pretty good write-up in the FAQs...
viewtopic.php?t=98322

Yeah, that's pretty much it - there are two aux rads (one on each side) the driver side one only comes into play in certain conditions and frankly is surplus to requirements in our climate, you just loop it out.
06 Phantom Black Saloon:
DONE: Water Meth Injection, Carbon clean at 64k, CAI, Gutted Precats, Non-res x-pipe, H&R 8mm spacers, H&R springs
^ GONE :cry:

Return to “RS4 (B7 Typ 8E) 2006–2008”