Bring forth the FON's!****UPDATE****

4.2 V8 32v Naturally Aspirated - 414 bhp
okstRS
Neutral

Bring forth the FON's!****UPDATE****

Post by okstRS » Fri Aug 22, 2014 7:08 pm

Evening everybody,

1st time poster, long time lurker!

Ive been the proud owner of my daytona B7 saloon for just over a year and a half now and its safe to say ive had a couple of the 'standard' problems!

Without the wealth of knowledge on here i probably would have sold her by now... but im glad i stuck with it! What an amazing machine :D

Picked it up with 49k on the clock and in immaculate condition, inside and out. Came from a MKIV Golf R32 so quite a big change to say the least!

First thing on the list was a non res miltek, what a glorious noise that is! Thats all i have got round to doing atm but ive got a few more bits id like to do. Spacers is top of the list right now!

OK, rule number 1, heres some pics!
IMG_8110.jpg
RS 4 4.2 V8 Saloon 029.jpg
RS 4 4.2 V8 Saloon 043.jpg
RS 4 4.2 V8 Saloon 056.jpg
RS 4 4.2 V8 Saloon 066.jpg
RS 4 4.2 V8 Saloon 071.jpg
Anyway, Problems ive hit so far are....

DRC - Had a nasty clunking noise/banging every time i hit a speed bump or on the dreaded full lock. Took her down to Poole Audi for them to diagnose what the problem was (even though i knew what the outcome would be). During the call i was told that the cam BELT was due to be chaged as well!!! You can imagine what my reponse was! :audibash: Recieved a call 2 hours later to say that they found that a valve on the OSF shock had gone, and that they were in the process of replacing it (even though i asked them to call me BEFORE starting any work). When i asked the cost, the very friendly reply was...."that will be £900.00 inc VAT and labour sir". I politely replied that i asked them to confirm any costs etc before starting any work and to return the car to the state it was in when i dropped it off! To cut a long story short, managed to get some goodwill as i had FASH and got the price down to £250.00. They ended up just recharging the pressure, not replacing the valve, and all has been good so far....

Oil cooler
- I noticed the tell tale signs of drops of oil on the driveway so jacked her up and my concerns were confirmed. Serious corrosion!! Looked up on here about other owners ways of dealing with it and thought i would try getting the pipes off the cooler instead of going for the complete pipe/cooler replacment. Whipped the bumper off and luckily enough managed to get the pipes off the cooler (with the help from a GRINDER!) with no major issues. New pipes fitted, and again, all seem OK so far...Result!

Had a couple of rear parking sensors replaced as well, and thats about it....BUT...

I do have a bit of a worring problem atm that im really hoping someone can help me out with before i take her over to MRC.

Ive had the EPC light intermittently showing its ugly face over the past 3 or 4 weeks. I have VCDS so have run a scan and came up with the following codes...

001169 - Secondary Air Injection System: Bank 1
P0491 - 002 - Insufficient Flow - Intermittent
Freeze Frame:
Fault Status: 00100010
Fault Priority: 0
Fault Frequency: 1
Mileage: 118727 km
Time Indication: 0

Freeze Frame:
RPM: 1570 /min
Load: 55.3 %
Speed: 50.0 km/h
Temperature: 42.0°C
Temperature: 27.0°C
Absolute Pres.: 1020.0 mbar
Voltage: 13.208 V
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
008224 - Intake Manifold Flap Position Sensor (Bank 2)
P2020 - 008 - Implausible Signal - Intermittent - MIL ON
Freeze Frame:
Fault Status: 10101000
Fault Frequency: 20
Mileage: 118452 km

Freeze Frame:
RPM: 1548 /min
Load: 16.5 %
Speed: 30.0 km/h
Temperature: 70.0°C
Temperature: 28.0°C
Absolute Pres.: 1010.0 mbar
Voltage: 13.716 V
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
005137 - Secondary Air Injection System; Bank 2
P1411 - 002 - Insufficient Flow - Intermittent
Freeze Frame:
Fault Status: 00100010
Fault Frequency: 2
Mileage: 118727 km

Freeze Frame:
RPM: 833 /min
Load: 44.7 %
Speed: 11.0 km/h
Temperature: 28.0°C
Temperature: 23.0°C
Absolute Pres.: 990.0 mbar
Voltage: 13.462 V
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ive run the output test on VCDS and all the flaps seem to be working OK, although its hard to see if the rear intake ones (bank 2?) are working (bank 1 arms seem fine). Ive taken the airbox snorkel off and made sure that the flap is turning freeley, and it is. Checked that the exhast flap vacuum lines are still capped of, all ok. I'm pretty sure its not a vacuum leak but havnt tested that...yet.

I spoke to Ben at MRC and he seemed to think that it sounded like that the bank 2 flaps were not opening and that the probable issue was that the rod/runner that activates the arms for the intake manifold flaps had snapped, causing the implausable signal and insufficient flow, as they were not opening every time on bank 2. He said that a health check would confirm if this was the problem.

My only concern is that the EPC light is not constantly on, its intermittent. Surely if the rod/runner had snapped, the EPC light would constantly be on? The engine check light comes on now and again but i think that comes on after a certain amount of EPC activations???

Anyway, sorry for the essay! Looking forward to joining the the banter with you all!

Cheers,

okstRS
Last edited by okstRS on Tue Feb 03, 2015 6:26 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Timster
Cruising

Re: Bring forth the FON's!

Post by Timster » Fri Aug 22, 2014 7:36 pm

FON

Welcome and that’s a great looking car !

Cam-belt ??? Doubt it.

OSF valve ?? I may well be wrong, but pretty sure that the DRC valves are located at the rear of the car (not on the shocks).
VW Toe-rag V6 R-line.... no curry hooks...wtf ?
Gone: Avus Avant B7 RS4.... plus curry hooks !

okstRS
Neutral

Post by okstRS » Fri Aug 22, 2014 7:47 pm

Cheers Timster!

Havnt got a great amount of knowledge on the DRC system but thats what the guy at the stealers told me. Dosnt fill me with confidence!
Last edited by okstRS on Sat Aug 23, 2014 9:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

Rick_RS4
Cruising

Post by Rick_RS4 » Fri Aug 22, 2014 8:05 pm

The small black sensors on the inlet manifold at the end of the flap shaft are quite fragile I read and could have gone. Cheap to replace too so maybe worth a try

okstRS
Neutral

Post by okstRS » Fri Aug 22, 2014 8:06 pm

Thanks mate, isnt the sensor for bank 2 at the rear of the manifold meaning a manifold off job though? And if it was a sensor wouldnt it be a constant EPC light?

HYFR
Cruising

Post by HYFR » Fri Aug 22, 2014 8:08 pm

LOL ... Audi dealers do make me laugh

car looks great!

okstRS
Neutral

Post by okstRS » Fri Aug 22, 2014 8:19 pm

Unbelievable isnt it! Glad i did my homework or i would have let them do it!!!

bam_bam
Cruising

Post by bam_bam » Fri Aug 22, 2014 9:50 pm

FON.

Daytona in da sun, neater than a finger in her bum.

Welcome.
No matter where you go, there you are.

neilparf
Cruising

Post by neilparf » Fri Aug 22, 2014 10:00 pm

FON.

Top/first shot makes me a little firmer than normal...

Stunning - I like it a lot.
Gone but never forgotten:
2007 RS4 B7 Saloon, Metallic Silver with SS+.
LED's all round and Dectane LED tailights. KDS detail and paint. Lepsons black chrome, heavy on the silver wheels. JCWeldFab full system - valved and no pre-cats. MRC stage 2, de-flap and full carbon clean - 438PS and 489NM. HEL brake lines. H&R Spacers. Gtechniq C1 and EXO V2 coatings. 2010+ RNS-E. On the MRC dyno: http://youtu.be/y_k0VJ2--y8

okstRS
Neutral

Post by okstRS » Fri Aug 22, 2014 10:17 pm

neilparf wrote:FON.

Ha! That was the night before i picked it up. Matey wouldnt let me take it until it had been detailed! Well i wasnt gonna so no was I! Made me go from firm to hard!

okstRS
Neutral

Post by okstRS » Fri Aug 22, 2014 10:19 pm

bam_bam wrote:FON.

Daytona in da sun, neater than a finger in her bum.

Welcome.
Thats what i tell the missus when she says we need a 'normal' car :bigblink:

neilparf
Cruising

Post by neilparf » Fri Aug 22, 2014 10:54 pm

okstRS wrote:
neilparf wrote:FON.

Ha! That was the night before i picked it up. Matey wouldnt let me take it until it had been detailed! Well i wasnt gonna so no was I! Made me go from firm to hard!
A man after my own heart...
Gone but never forgotten:
2007 RS4 B7 Saloon, Metallic Silver with SS+.
LED's all round and Dectane LED tailights. KDS detail and paint. Lepsons black chrome, heavy on the silver wheels. JCWeldFab full system - valved and no pre-cats. MRC stage 2, de-flap and full carbon clean - 438PS and 489NM. HEL brake lines. H&R Spacers. Gtechniq C1 and EXO V2 coatings. 2010+ RNS-E. On the MRC dyno: http://youtu.be/y_k0VJ2--y8

jaysrs4
5th Gear

Post by jaysrs4 » Fri Aug 22, 2014 11:29 pm

FON - Daytona makes me leak a bit.

Lol at Audi dealers. I had a conversation with a salesman last week about an R8, I said it was a bit numb. He said "Yea that's because it's normally aspirated. The RS6 and RS4 feel so much faster with those two turbos."

I had a little cough and duly walked off.

Rick_RS4
Cruising

Post by Rick_RS4 » Sat Aug 23, 2014 12:07 am

yes one sensor at the front the other at the rear,

with the intermittent fault it could be that it partly working, they are just held on by 2 torx screws, cant remember how deep it is at the back to get to, i always inspect when my inlet is off

okstRS
Neutral

Post by okstRS » Sat Aug 23, 2014 9:37 am

Thanks! anyone know if its possible to get to the bank 2 sensor without removing the manifold? If not im going to have to call MRC back and book her in!

Return to “RS4 (B7 Typ 8E) 2006–2008”