New Owner - Phone system removal and SD cards??

4.2 V8 32v Naturally Aspirated - 414 bhp
chuckiceman
1st Gear

New Owner - Phone system removal and SD cards??

Post by chuckiceman » Mon Aug 18, 2014 9:19 pm

Hello,

Just picked up my car on Friday and have a few newby queries... It has the built in phone system for a 2007 Sony Ericson. Is it expensive to remove the handset from the centre console? has anyone else done this? I have an Iphone 5, do they do a cradle for this if removing it is expensive? Would like to be able to listen to the music from my phone through the car if possible.

Also, I have a 4gb SD card and drag and dropped some songs from I tunes on to it and the car stereo did not recognise them. Where am I going wrong?

Cheers
2007 RS4 B7 Saloon
Phantom Black | Black Optics | MRC Stage 2 | Carbon Clean | De-flapped | Non Res Milltek | MTM Spacers |

Snotsicle
2nd Gear

Re: New Owner - Phone system removal and SD cards??

Post by Snotsicle » Mon Aug 18, 2014 9:31 pm

SD cards: Officially, only cards up to 2GB are supported (i.e. not SDHC), however if you look around you might be able to find a few non-standard 4GB cards that work. I have some very old Transcend ones which have been fine.

The file format has to be MP3 rather than MPEG4 or M4P which you commonly get from iTunes.
Akoya Silver '03 B6 A4 Avant 3.0 Quattro Tip
Ming Blue '99 B5 A4 Avant 2.8 Quattro Tip
Laser Red '97 8L A3 3dr 1.8T
Assorted junk too embarrassing to list

neilparf
Cruising

Post by neilparf » Mon Aug 18, 2014 11:01 pm

You can remove the phone cradle but requires a new centre console as when removed it leaves two large holes.

The base cradle is just that - the Sony Ericsson faceplate clips on. Squeeze the two buttons either side and it should just come - iPhone 5 faceplate I found new on ebay.de for £89.

Or this: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Genuine-Audi- ... 258a6464fb

I'm in that minority as I like the handiness of the cradle. It charges and I can hit the Siri button and announce through the cars Bluetooth... with nav from google and also charges whilst my tom tom links to obtain 3G access for traffic and speed cameras now and again. It saves you fumbling...

SD cards: viewtopic.php?f=35&t=110771&hilit=+Sdhc

Good luck!
Gone but never forgotten:
2007 RS4 B7 Saloon, Metallic Silver with SS+.
LED's all round and Dectane LED tailights. KDS detail and paint. Lepsons black chrome, heavy on the silver wheels. JCWeldFab full system - valved and no pre-cats. MRC stage 2, de-flap and full carbon clean - 438PS and 489NM. HEL brake lines. H&R Spacers. Gtechniq C1 and EXO V2 coatings. 2010+ RNS-E. On the MRC dyno: http://youtu.be/y_k0VJ2--y8

adsgreen
Cruising

Post by adsgreen » Tue Aug 19, 2014 8:20 am

I have one of these. Best if both worlds :)
http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B00B5SZ ... ot_redir=1

Spectre
2nd Gear

Post by Spectre » Tue Aug 19, 2014 9:00 am

I'm with Neilparf on this one - I have the iPhone 5 cradle and it works flawlessly - you cannot stream music from it though. For that you need a different set up. Regarding SD cards, I use 2 x 4Gb they work OK although I do have some problems loading them up from my PC.

Mak.
2013 Guards Red 991 Carrera - VERY MUCH Arrived.
2013 Ibis White RS4 B8 - Gone :)
2007 Phantom Black Avant RS4 B7 - Gone :(

stu
5th Gear

Post by stu » Tue Aug 19, 2014 10:19 am

A bluetooth stereo input would compliment what you're trying to do. I wrote a slightly long winded how-to a while back. viewtopic.php?t=98653

neilparf
Cruising

Post by neilparf » Tue Aug 19, 2014 12:50 pm

stu wrote:A bluetooth stereo input would compliment what you're trying to do. I wrote a slightly long winded how-to a while back. viewtopic.php?t=98653
Read this. Epic - like a lot...
LED's all round and Dectane LED tailights. KDS detail and paint. Lepsons black chrome, heavy on the silver wheels. JCWeldFab full system - valved and no pre-cats. MRC stage 2, de-flap and full carbon clean - 438PS and 489NM. HEL brake lines. H&R Spacers. Gtechniq C1 and EXO V2 coatings. 2010+ RNS-E. On the MRC dyno: http://youtu.be/y_k0VJ2--y8

neilparf
Cruising

Post by neilparf » Tue Aug 19, 2014 3:10 pm

Currently, I use x2 SDHC cards that are wi-fi enabled. http://www.amazon.co.uk/Transcend-32GB- ... uctDetails

2 of these sit in my car, I'm close enough (just) to pick up the wi-fi - these are then accessed via my Mac and I run an automator script that sniffs any new music in iTunes, accesses my iSkysoft convertor, re-rips any files that are not MP3, compiles and and uploads automatically. No pulling from the RNS-e and slotting in the USB via a card reader...

I have read a hack that re-works the OS kernel on the SD card that allows a 3mb 'stream file' to enabled so you can stream any music or even Spotify from your iPhone to the wi-fi SDHC card in the RNS-e via a personal internet hotspot...

Not overly fussed about streaming radio and Spotify as my 3G coverage in my area is pants!

PetrolDave
Cruising

Post by PetrolDave » Tue Aug 19, 2014 5:36 pm

Snotsicle wrote:SD cards: Officially, only cards up to 2GB are supported.
Why has this untrue statement started to appear on several Audi websites recently?

Any size of SD card (i.e. not SDHC or SDXC) is supported, and since SD cards are made up to 4GB (despite the erroneous information on the SD Card Association website) they are supported and will work.

You also need to:
- format the SD card, whatever size, to FAT preferably FAT32 (definitely not NTFS or exFAT)
- use only MP3 files
- make sure the pathname length is less than 64 characters
- make sure the total number of files plus folders doesn't exceed 512

Until I installed my 2010+ RNS-E I used exclusively 4GB SD cards for over 4 years.
Gone: 2006 B7 RS4 Avant (Phantom Black)

PetrolDave
Cruising

Post by PetrolDave » Tue Aug 19, 2014 5:38 pm

neilparf wrote:Currently, I use x2 SDHC cards that are wi-fi enabled. http://www.amazon.co.uk/Transcend-32GB- ... uctDetails
But you do have a 2010+ RNS-E, a pre-2010 RNS-E won't work with any SDHC or SDXC card.

neilparf
Cruising

Post by neilparf » Tue Aug 19, 2014 5:40 pm

PetrolDave wrote:...I installed my 2010+ RNS-E I used exclusively 4GB SD cards for over 4 years.
+1 SD (not SDHC/XC) up to 4GB will work and I used exactly that in my OEM RNS-E and they worked just fine...

neilparf
Cruising

Post by neilparf » Tue Aug 19, 2014 5:41 pm

PetrolDave wrote:
neilparf wrote:Currently, I use x2 SDHC cards that are wi-fi enabled. http://www.amazon.co.uk/Transcend-32GB- ... uctDetails
But you do have a 2010+ RNS-E, a pre-2010 RNS-E won't work with any SDHC or SDXC card.
Indeed I do - I was hoping the signature caveated my ability to use these :big blink:

Admittedly, by the middle of this thread we were pretty much off topic somewhat anyway from the cradle faceplate etc.

My initial wi-fi SD post was kind of sharing what I do but admittedly aside from the OP topic and pre 2010 RNS-E set-up...

PetrolDave
Cruising

Post by PetrolDave » Tue Aug 19, 2014 5:45 pm

neilparf wrote:
PetrolDave wrote:
Indeed I do - I was hoping the signature caveated my ability to use these :bigblink:
Unfortunately, most people don't even look at signatures - so I thought I'd make sure it was clear that you, like I, have retrofitted the 2010+ RNS-E.

As an aside, in some early RNS-E manuals Audi were saying that only SD cards up to 512MB were supported :audibash: :audibash: :audibash:
I know that wasn't true as I was using my 4GB SD cards along with the original 0050 RNS-E firmware from 2004.

neilparf
Cruising

Post by neilparf » Tue Aug 19, 2014 5:48 pm

PetrolDave wrote:Unfortunately, most people don't even look at signatures - so I thought I'd make sure it was clear that you, like I, have retrofitted the 2010+ RNS-E.
Thanks - you have a point, Dave. :thumbs:
PetrolDave wrote:As an aside, in some early RNS-E manuals Audi were saying that only SD cards up to 512MB were supported :audibash: :audibash: :audibash:
I know that wasn't true as I was using my 4GB SD cards along with the original 0050 RNS-E firmware from 2004.
:audibash: :audibash: :audibash: :audibash: :audibash: :audibash: :audibash: :audibash: :audibash: :audibash: :audibash:

chuckiceman
1st Gear

Post by chuckiceman » Tue Aug 19, 2014 6:14 pm

Wow!

Cheers guys for all your responses. I think I may just try the I-phone 5 cradle. The guy I bought it from seemed to think it would only take 2GB SD cards aswell. Ill look in to the format of the files I have uploaded on to the 4GB SD Card to make sure they are compatible and give it another go.
2007 RS4 B7 Saloon
Phantom Black | Black Optics | MRC Stage 2 | Carbon Clean | De-flapped | Non Res Milltek | MTM Spacers |

Return to “RS4 (B7 Typ 8E) 2006–2008”