No response from reverse sensors, odd

4.2 V8 32v Naturally Aspirated - 414 bhp
flylife2k
1st Gear

No response from reverse sensors, odd

Post by flylife2k » Thu Aug 14, 2014 8:59 pm

Hi guys,

A new owner of an 06 RS4 :jump_clap:

I have to admit a fair few worms have come out of the woodwork since my 2 weeks of ownership, hopefully something I will enjoy in bring back to its original 'no fault' state!

Right the first of many which I hope someone can help me with, the reverse parking sensors are very odd, let me explain... when I place it into reverse the reverse parking button on the dash flashes and a cheap high pitch sound is heard for a couple of seconds and then it goes off although the led on the button continues to flash. The sensors do not work as they do not alert to any close proximity objects. Thirdly, I have had it connected to a friends VCDS and it did not detect module 76 when it performed an autoscan. Following a recent post, I asked him to try to connect to the module manually but returned error 'No Response from Controller'

I assume the module has either been turned off, has turned off automatically due to failed sensor(?), or the module has just failed

I have searched but not found anything similar with all these symptoms. The VCDS autoscan did show a few other errors unfortunately which I will need to get around to but nothing that would affect this. Can anyone please help, still learning (forced to do so... exponentially!)

Thank you

coffey555
5th Gear

Re: No response from reverse sensors, odd

Post by coffey555 » Thu Aug 14, 2014 9:37 pm

Don't use the autoscan, one of the earlier modules (possibly 46?) causes the scan to stop two thirds of the way through the scan list which is why you are not getting any data back from 76 (the module for the parking sensors).

You need to remove that module number from the autoscan text file so that is skips it.

In the short term just connect to module 76 directly and look at the error codes. It will have a fault code and from that you will know what to replace.

I had exactly the same issue last year, high pitched beep followed by flashing light on the button. Sounds like a sensor on its way out.

Would add more detail but my scanlogs are on another laptop at home but plenty of others on here will clarify what modules to delete from the autoscan file.

You need to disconnect the cable after you get the no responses error.

If you connect again go straight to module 76 without running an autoscan.
Misano Red RS4 B7 Avant

rwilsonrs4
4th Gear

Post by rwilsonrs4 » Thu Aug 14, 2014 9:45 pm

yip its a sensor fault , mine did the same a few weeks ago , its can be either a front or rear sensor at fault ( the front sensors dont work until you switch on the dash switch (if your driving into a garage or up to wall or something) but switch on when reverse in engages so the whole system is live if it sees a sensor fault it disables the whole lot so no errors in readings are made so its down to the driver then ,
using VCDS select the parking module directly so its not scanning the whole car , easier :thumbs:
Phantom black saloon ,PES M112 Supercharged 520ps/595nm K&N filter, 100 cell milltek cats,res valved milltek system. 8 and 10mm H&R spacers.H&R roll bars, "smoke chrome " alloy refurb. JHM Quickshifter, Bilstein B16 coilovers , uprated diff mount ,50/50 devils own WM kit so 1.4 litres/min in intake approx 10% more power and torque
1/4 mile 12.01 secs 123.5mph

flylife2k
1st Gear

Post by flylife2k » Fri Aug 15, 2014 9:00 am

Thank you for the responses so far, I have already tried to connect to module 76 directly but VCDC seems to attempt 3 times but then returns 'could not connect to controller', so connecting directly seems to be out of the equation, hmmm

I will try the full scan again and one it completes try to connect just to 76 and see if it allows me, if not then hopefully wait for someone to confirm whether it is module 46 which is stopping VCDS from contacting module 76 and whether it needs to be removed from the lookup file?

Thank you

coffey555
5th Gear

Post by coffey555 » Fri Aug 15, 2014 6:04 pm

Did you go straight to module 76 from the establish comms page without running an autoscan first?
Misano Red RS4 B7 Avant

flylife2k
1st Gear

Post by flylife2k » Fri Oct 24, 2014 9:55 pm

got above working with mates VCDS, here are the results...

2 Faults Found:
01549 - Supply Voltage for Parking-Aid Sensor
009 - Open or Short to Ground
Freeze Frame:
Fault Status: 01101001
Fault Priority: 3
Fault Frequency: 1
Reset counter: 137
Time Indication: 0

002 - Lower Limit Exceeded
Freeze Frame:
Fault Status: 01100010

So theres a fault (or two!) But so far I have failed make any sense of the above as far as locating the affending unit is concerned or whether it is just the sensor(s) or more at fault here, can anyone please shed any light on this? Thank you

PetrolDave
Cruising

Post by PetrolDave » Sat Oct 25, 2014 10:23 am

coffey555 wrote:Don't use the autoscan, one of the earlier modules (possibly 46?) causes the scan to stop two thirds of the way through the scan list which is why you are not getting any data back from 76 (the module for the parking sensors).
Ross-Tech have fixed this in the latest firmware release for the cable, but to get that you need to download and install the 14.8.1 beta from here http://www.ross-tech.com/vcds/download/ ... rrent.html
Ross-Tech wrote:Includes and requires version 1.93 firmware for older HEX+CAN interfaces
which fixes an interface crash introduced in the previous version on some K-line modules (primarily on B7 A4s)
BTW the beta loads into a separate folder so you can run both the beta and the released (12.12.3) VCDS.
Gone: 2006 B7 RS4 Avant (Phantom Black)

PetrolDave
Cruising

Post by PetrolDave » Sat Oct 25, 2014 10:25 am

flylife2k wrote:got above working with mates VCDS, here are the results...

2 Faults Found:
009 - Open or Short to Ground
Freeze Frame:
Fault Status: 01101001

002 - Lower Limit Exceeded
Freeze Frame:
Fault Status: 01100010

So theres a fault (or two!) But so far I have failed make any sense of the above as far as locating the affending unit is concerned or whether it is just the sensor(s) or more at fault here, can anyone please shed any light on this? Thank you
Have you tried clearing the faults? A fault frequency of 1 on supply voltage suggests power was disconnected to cause the faults.
Gone: 2006 B7 RS4 Avant (Phantom Black)

flylife2k
1st Gear

Post by flylife2k » Mon Oct 27, 2014 5:31 pm

Yes all codes were reset prior to running the scan, so these results are genuine and current unfortunately. Something else to add, I tried the 'listen for clicking' test at each sensor at rear when in reverse and at the front when button pressed in hope it would help me determine if a sensor is faulty but unfortunately I dont hear anything at all! So I am not sure if a sensor is faulty or something else such as the control unit. Is anyone else aware of any other method to located the fault? P.s I am looking to purchase a copy of VCDS

Return to “RS4 (B7 Typ 8E) 2006–2008”