Considering B7 RS4

4.2 V8 32v Naturally Aspirated - 414 bhp
toyneg
5th Gear

Re: Considering B7 RS4

Post by toyneg » Mon Aug 18, 2014 4:28 pm

yeah they were pretty good and i had a few runs but had to coast past the driveby mics so no great laps, my own fault really
Glacier White 2017 S3 Saloon with all the Tech.
Gone but not forgotten - B7 RS4 Saloon Black - H&R spacers, Tints, Gun Metal Alloys, MRC Stage 2, Pre Cats, Milltek Non Res, K/W Springs, MRC Full Carbon clean - 431ps
previous - B6 A4 1.8T S-Line 215PS

adsgreen
Cruising

Post by adsgreen » Mon Aug 18, 2014 4:52 pm

lee_spowart wrote:Thanks and that is very annoying, sure they could have let you off the 4db
Goodwood have to be quite strict. They get into all sorts of trouble. I mean, those people buying houses next to historical race circuits and complaining about noise!

adsgreen
Cruising

Post by adsgreen » Mon Aug 18, 2014 4:54 pm

toyneg wrote:
adsgreen wrote:I had mine tested when I got it (miltek non-res valved) at 1m at 45 degree angle.
At 4.5k rpm it was 89db valves closed and 98db valves open.
Had mine noise tested couple of times at Goodwood last year before and after getting the Milly fitted. Standard 89db (i had disconnected the valves) at 6k revs and the Milltek was 102db (again no valves) at 6k - that was annoying as the limit was 98db haha
Did you have the pre-cats done as well? - they can make a big difference.

89 with no valves standard is about right. General rule of thumb is non res valves closed about the same as oem valves open.

toyneg
5th Gear

Post by toyneg » Mon Aug 18, 2014 5:20 pm

adsgreen wrote:
toyneg wrote:
adsgreen wrote:I had mine tested when I got it (miltek non-res valved) at 1m at 45 degree angle.
At 4.5k rpm it was 89db valves closed and 98db valves open.
Had mine noise tested couple of times at Goodwood last year before and after getting the Milly fitted. Standard 89db (i had disconnected the valves) at 6k revs and the Milltek was 102db (again no valves) at 6k - that was annoying as the limit was 98db haha
Did you have the pre-cats done as well? - they can make a big difference.

89 with no valves standard is about right. General rule of thumb is non res valves closed about the same as oem valves open.
yeah sorry precats are gutted also
Glacier White 2017 S3 Saloon with all the Tech.
Gone but not forgotten - B7 RS4 Saloon Black - H&R spacers, Tints, Gun Metal Alloys, MRC Stage 2, Pre Cats, Milltek Non Res, K/W Springs, MRC Full Carbon clean - 431ps
previous - B6 A4 1.8T S-Line 215PS

PetrolDave
Cruising

Post by PetrolDave » Mon Aug 18, 2014 5:35 pm

toyneg wrote:
lee_spowart wrote:Many thanks. Nice rs4 but after one with the full bucket seats and ideally that's not been modified as the jump in insurance for just an exhaust is extreme, doubles the quote
wow, exhaust added nothing to my premium. who are you with?
+1

Milltek made absolutely no difference to my insurance - yes I did tell the insurance company :assflash:
Gone: 2006 B7 RS4 Avant (Phantom Black)

lee_spowart
Neutral

Post by lee_spowart » Mon Aug 18, 2014 5:49 pm

The milltek does sound amazing. Just don't want it to be too loud or the wife's nagging will be louder than any exhaust going!!

Already getting hassle for wanting to change a two year old car for a 7 year old one and have to spend money to do so.

PetrolDave
Cruising

Post by PetrolDave » Mon Aug 18, 2014 5:50 pm

lee_spowart wrote:The milltek does sound amazing. Just don't want it to be too loud or the wife's nagging will be louder than any exhaust going!!
Best listen to one before you buy - I had a non-res valved and in an Avant the drone between 1000-2000rpm was verging on painful (even with the valves closed), so I switched to a res valved and now both the wife & I are happy.

lee_spowart
Neutral

Post by lee_spowart » Mon Aug 18, 2014 5:52 pm

Good to know thanks, its quite hard to find a good low milage stock rs4 it seems at the minute, most already have milltek fitted.

Timster
Cruising

Post by Timster » Mon Aug 18, 2014 6:01 pm

lee_spowart wrote:Good to know thanks, its quite hard to find a good low milage stock rs4 it seems at the minute, most already have milltek fitted.
You can always “un-fit” it, flog it easily on here , then go back to OEM (you can pick those up for peanuts)
VW Toe-rag V6 R-line.... no curry hooks...wtf ?
Gone: Avus Avant B7 RS4.... plus curry hooks !

lee_spowart
Neutral

Post by lee_spowart » Wed Aug 20, 2014 4:31 pm

Very good point, I've also been looking at alarm systems with all the seats and wing mirrors going missing. Does anyone have an aftermarket alarm, been looking at the viper system from secure my car, appears to be quite good.

drmanhattan
2nd Gear

Post by drmanhattan » Wed Aug 20, 2014 8:09 pm

PetrolDave wrote:Best listen to one before you buy - I had a non-res valved and in an Avant the drone between 1000-2000rpm was verging on painful (even with the valves closed), so I switched to a res valved and now both the wife & I are happy.
I've just picked up a Milly (with both sets of pipes) to go on my avant. Going to start with the non-resonated ones and see how it goes...I wonder how much of a difference the in car noise is from 1k and 2k as between the saloon and the avant. Quite a bit I'd imagine but I've only ever heard them from the outside so not sure!

Ah well...it can't be a big job swapping them out later if it's too drony so will give it a whirl!

:lol:

PetrolDave
Cruising

Post by PetrolDave » Thu Aug 21, 2014 12:27 pm

drmanhattan wrote:I've just picked up a Milly (with both sets of pipes) to go on my avant. Going to start with the non-resonated ones and see how it goes...I wonder how much of a difference the in car noise is from 1k and 2k as between the saloon and the avant. Quite a bit I'd imagine but I've only ever heard them from the outside so not sure!

Ah well...it can't be a big job swapping them out later if it's too drony so will give it a whirl!
There's been a lot of discussion about the difference in drone between saloon (sedans) and Avants on audizine and the conclusion is that on Avants the drone is MUCH louder.

You don't really hear the drone from outside as it's a modal resonance of the interior space in the car that gets excited by the exhaust (I spent several years working on car active noise systems, what they mainly do is cancel that sort of engine induced resonance).

Swapping the non-res centre section to a res one is a simple enough job, didn't take MRC long to do it on mine.

So if anyone wants a pair of non-res Milltek centre sections (which had been on the car for just over a year) then PM me - buyer will have to collect.

drmanhattan
2nd Gear

Post by drmanhattan » Mon Aug 25, 2014 10:43 am

Ok so I got it fitted last week and was actually quite surprised how loud it is inside...I suppose being inside an Avant is a bit like being inside a speaker! Don't think it helped that my trip home was in traffic moving at snails' pace.

I wouldn't go as far as to say I don't like it and do think I'll get used to it. The poor dog may have a different opinion however!

I'm also going to try to find one of the roll-out boot covers which might make a very small difference.

AdrianD
4th Gear

Post by AdrianD » Mon Aug 25, 2014 10:51 am

lee_spowart wrote:Very good point, I've also been looking at alarm systems with all the seats and wing mirrors going missing. Does anyone have an aftermarket alarm, been looking at the viper system from secure my car, appears to be quite good.
Yeah i have one fitted, very impressed with it so far and Anthony is a top guy..
2010 911 Turbo PDK.
Gone but not forgotten... Sprint Blue B7 RS4 with all the toys :)
20" AG M310's | TTS Supercharged | MRC Stage 3 | Sach's Clutch | Lightened / balanced flywheel | High Pressure Fuel Pumps | KW V3's Coilovers | De-Cat + Valved Milltek | DeCoked | Launch Control | Flat Shift | Cold Air Feed Induction.

lee_spowart
Neutral

Post by lee_spowart » Mon Aug 25, 2014 10:52 am

Thanks Adrian. Been in touch with Antony and he seems very helpful. The only thing that worries me is the proximity sensor setting the alarm off when a cat goes near the car or someone getting out their car in a car park.

Return to “RS4 (B7 Typ 8E) 2006–2008”