ECS Tuning H-Pipe impressions

4.2 V8 32v Naturally Aspirated - 414 bhp
dogtanion
Neutral

ECS Tuning H-Pipe impressions

Post by dogtanion » Sat Aug 09, 2014 2:08 pm

Hi

I've just had this fitted and was wondering what others who had had them thought of them.

The effect of the pipe has been not quite what I expected or as advertised on the website.

On Sport, the car sounds somehow more refined and possibly even quieter unless I give it the beans and then the noise is not as great as the standard exhuast was on Sport (IMHO), on full tilt there's a noise that can only be described as the car sounds like it's farting. Torque feels down a bit at 2000rpm and the car wants to be driven at 3000rpm and above. However the car feels like it breaths a bit better higher up the rev range than before and I can believe that it makes a few hp more at high revs.

With Sport off, the car sounds better than it did with OEM exhaust on sport. The burble is there, mid-range torque is there and the bit of resonance around 2000rpm - 3000rpm makes it sound a bit meaner. Didn't give it the beans like this yet, cause the kids complained in the back :) Must be something to do with the back pressure I guess from only the single exits being available.

Looking at the H-pipe, the balance pipe is quite big at 2.33" (same diameter as main tube) so sound neutralising effect is noticeable. I am wondering whether to go to a fabricator and reduce the diameter to see what effect this has.

Curious...

Cheers

Karl.

Dal
2nd Gear

Re: ECS Tuning H-Pipe impressions

Post by Dal » Sat Aug 09, 2014 3:01 pm

Have had one on mine for a few months and have to say I love it, I have left my valves open all the time, have not noticed a fart like noise at WOT except on down shifts with a bit of rev matching, guessing this is the valve overlap. As for power I noticed no difference at all.
B8 RS4 in the fastest colour :smile_smoking:

dogtanion
Neutral

Re: ECS Tuning H-Pipe impressions

Post by dogtanion » Sun Aug 31, 2014 9:26 pm

Just as an update. Had the ECS HPipe now for a month now and it might be also after the valve clean recently, but I am liking it a lot better now. Definitely sounds deeper and more purposeful than stock and on sport now, there's less 'farting' and more burble under hard revs. Worth the relatively small outlay and doesn't upset our daughter in the back.

Return to “RS4 (B7 Typ 8E) 2006–2008”