Quest for the Wholy Grail (Answers to "Sticky" Clutch issue)

4.2 V8 32v Naturally Aspirated - 414 bhp
Scott Long
Neutral

Re: Quest for the Wholy Grail (Answers to "Sticky" Clutch is

Post by Scott Long » Mon Aug 04, 2014 7:25 pm

Surrey Sam wrote:Can't believe a definitive answer to this problem doesn't exist yet. Good luck and I hope the problem gets fixed for you.
http://www.audizine.com/forum/showthrea ... -RS4-Owner

Audi stock RS4 pressure plate is a self adjusting design, it was the cause of my problems. I have replaced clutch and pressure plate with a non adjusting design, and replaced slave cylinder and got a steel braided hydraulic line. Clutch in my car grabs hard and feels great.
- Scott Long -

2007 Audi RS4 - Brilliant black, carbon fiber, 35% tint, pcv oil catch can, JHM R-series clutch, USP slave.

Ex-wife totaled my 2002 S4 Tiptronic, Brilliant Black, gray interior, 5% tint, clear corners w/ stealth bulbs, 8000K HID's w/ DDM Slim Ballasts, independent 2500k fogs, black RS4 grille, MTM ECU, darintake, K&N, custom 2.5" exhaust, 00032 trans recode, VAG-COM window mods.

Previous Audi's: 93 100CS Quattro 5-speed, 97 A4 2.8 Quattro, 02 S4

coffey555
5th Gear

Post by coffey555 » Mon Aug 04, 2014 8:00 pm

Can the R series clutch and pressure plate be used with the OEM flywheel? Had a look at JHM's website and it only said it was designed to work with their lightweight flywheel.

If it can be then this might actually be the Holy Grail......
Misano Red RS4 B7 Avant

Scott Long
Neutral

Post by Scott Long » Mon Aug 04, 2014 8:09 pm

I'm using it with an OEM dual mass flywheel. They recommend their light weight flywheel, but it was another $1000 U.S. and I just bought the car the day before so I couldn't convince my significant other into the added expense of the flywheel. She was mad enough about the clutch but the dealer did install for free so I was only out the clutch price and the slave cylinder kit from USP motorsports.

I went with the Stage 1 disc, not the Stage 5. I do know the APR uses the JHM 5R clutch in their supercharged RS4 that has ran 10.6 seconds in the 1/4 mile and has had many many many launches on it during the testing and R&D phase. It seems like it can take some serious abuse and launching. Mine is mostly a street car. I might drag race it on occassion and plan to take it to some track days but I'm not pushing 600+ hp like the APR or JHM supercharged cars so I feel the 1R clutch is probably fine, as it still offers more holding power than stock.
- Scott Long -

2007 Audi RS4 - Brilliant black, carbon fiber, 35% tint, pcv oil catch can, JHM R-series clutch, USP slave.

Ex-wife totaled my 2002 S4 Tiptronic, Brilliant Black, gray interior, 5% tint, clear corners w/ stealth bulbs, 8000K HID's w/ DDM Slim Ballasts, independent 2500k fogs, black RS4 grille, MTM ECU, darintake, K&N, custom 2.5" exhaust, 00032 trans recode, VAG-COM window mods.

coffey555
5th Gear

Post by coffey555 » Tue Aug 05, 2014 5:23 am

Good to know, thanks for that.

Yes, the Stage 1 kit would be the kit that I would go for as well as I use my car as a daily driver. That was also the reason I wanted to keep the dual mass flywheel, I cannot be bothered with chatter no matter how small.

My clutch was ok the last time I drove it but if it starts playing up again at least I know now there is a proper fix.
Misano Red RS4 B7 Avant

R1RS4
5th Gear

Post by R1RS4 » Tue Aug 05, 2014 7:43 am

Scott Long wrote:I'm using it with an OEM dual mass flywheel. They recommend their light weight flywheel, but it was another $1000 U.S. and I just bought the car the day before so I couldn't convince my significant other into the added expense of the flywheel. She was mad enough about the clutch but the dealer did install for free so I was only out the clutch price and the slave cylinder kit from USP motorsports.

I went with the Stage 1 disc, not the Stage 5. I do know the APR uses the JHM 5R clutch in their supercharged RS4 that has ran 10.6 seconds in the 1/4 mile and has had many many many launches on it during the testing and R&D phase. It seems like it can take some serious abuse and launching. Mine is mostly a street car. I might drag race it on occassion and plan to take it to some track days but I'm not pushing 600+ hp like the APR or JHM supercharged cars so I feel the 1R clutch is probably fine, as it still offers more holding power than stock.
Hi Scott,

How many miles have you done on this set up, and did you get through the 500 miles break in without launching?
RS4 B7 Avant,2007
Metallic black, Black optics pack, Black gloss Wheels, Milltek black tipped -valved, MRC Installed TTS Supercharger 610ps/626nm, MRC stage 3 remap, CAF, DRC/SS+ with H&R spacers, carbon race splitter, carbon trim

Scott Long
Neutral

Post by Scott Long » Tue Aug 05, 2014 8:22 am

I have put over 1000 miles on now. I tried to do most of it city driving but I did take a road trip through 3 states and did some spirited driving. I have launched the car once at around 3000 rpm the other night and left the line spinning all 4 tires a little distance. The BMW 335i who was next to me (inching forward trying to get me to give it a go) caught up and gave thumbs up.
- Scott Long -

R1RS4
5th Gear

Post by R1RS4 » Tue Aug 05, 2014 8:48 am

What's it like pressure wise,they say its up to 25% heavier?

If it is it probably makes it more of a positive selection, as the OEM i find is a bit variable ie hot days versus cold and spirited versus ploding, too early to notice any difference?

The slave cylinder you got from USP Motorsports was that the 8EO 721 257Q?

Cheers just thinking all this through as mine will need changing at some stage so looking at the options
RS4 B7 Avant,2007
Metallic black, Black optics pack, Black gloss Wheels, Milltek black tipped -valved, MRC Installed TTS Supercharger 610ps/626nm, MRC stage 3 remap, CAF, DRC/SS+ with H&R spacers, carbon race splitter, carbon trim

Scott Long
Neutral

Post by Scott Long » Tue Aug 05, 2014 9:11 am

I only drove the stock clutch for 1 day. I do recall it feeling firm and then some times it would be spongy during shifts. I thought it odd. The next day it failed.

The new clutch may be stiffer pedal but I don't find it tiresome to work. Even my girlfriend drives the car and never complains that the clutch is too much work. I think its perfect for a daily driven RS4 that may see some track time on occasion. We don't drive our RS4 every day, as I have two trucks and she has a 4 Runner and we use them for work. The RS4 is more of an evening out or a weekend pleasure car for when we don't need to haul tools around for our job (flipping houses) or we want to take a trip on the weekend.

This is the slave and clutch line kit I bought:
http://www.uspmotorsports.com/USPAudicl ... rsion.html
- Scott Long -

nikkak77
Neutral

Post by nikkak77 » Tue Aug 05, 2014 9:19 am

Scott Long wrote:
Surrey Sam wrote:Can't believe a definitive answer to this problem doesn't exist yet. Good luck and I hope the problem gets fixed for you.

Audi stock RS4 pressure plate is a self adjusting design, it was the cause of my problems. I have replaced clutch and pressure plate with a non adjusting design, and replaced slave cylinder and got a steel braided hydraulic line. Clutch in my car grabs hard and feels great.
Thanks for chipping in.
The problem is that the pressure plate, clutch and flywheel have been replaced with the LOBA Stage 2 kit.
So they were mint new....quite honestly though I have no idea if the LOBA pressure plate is a self-adjusting design. I should call and ask them.

On a side note, since supposedly AUDI has replaced my hydraulic line with the most "updated" version and which could not work (based on everyone's history with this vacuum lines), would you be kind enough to let me know which part did you put as "..a steel braided hydraulic line" (ie. brand, part number etc.)?

Scott Long
Neutral

Post by Scott Long » Tue Aug 05, 2014 9:32 am

Mine was part of the slave cylinder and clutch line kit.

The line itself is here:
http://www.uspmotorsports.com/USPAudiSt ... hline.html
- Scott Long -

nikkak77
Neutral

Post by nikkak77 » Tue Aug 05, 2014 9:37 am

Scott Long wrote:Mine was part of the slave cylinder and clutch line kit.

The line itself is here:
http://www.uspmotorsports.com/USPAudiSt ... hline.html

Thanks a lot Scott for the prompt reply.

coffey555
5th Gear

Post by coffey555 » Tue Aug 05, 2014 9:56 am

nikkak77 wrote:
Scott Long wrote:

Thanks for chipping in.
The problem is that the pressure plate, clutch and flywheel have been replaced with the LOBA Stage 2 kit.
So they were mint new....quite honestly though I have no idea if the LOBA pressure plate is a self-adjusting design. I should call and ask them.

On a side note, since supposedly AUDI has replaced my hydraulic line with the most "updated" version and which could not work (based on everyone's history with this vacuum lines), would you be kind enough to let me know which part did you put as "..a steel braided hydraulic line" (ie. brand, part number etc.)?
I would change out the clutch pedal assembly as it is the only original part of the system that has not been changed.

Did Arthur not report that he ended up having to add lube to his pedals mechanism?

If that does not work then might be worth trying the JHM clutch.

I got Audi to put the latest spec of return pipework on mine and it did nothing to solve the problem the first time round.
Misano Red RS4 B7 Avant

R1RS4
5th Gear

Post by R1RS4 » Tue Aug 05, 2014 10:23 am

That's interesting I did not know that the OEM slave cylinder was plastic and the USP being Aluminium, might well add that to my clutch set up with the braided hose, I think the heavier clutch and better control sounds a better option

Cheers Scott ps keep up us updated on the milage and performance of your set up
RS4 B7 Avant,2007

Scott Long
Neutral

Post by Scott Long » Tue Aug 05, 2014 4:14 pm

Apparently over time the engine heat takes a toll on the plastic piece so the aluminum slave cylinder should be more durable in the long term.

A lot of US RS4 owners have dealt with the clutch issues too. When I found this site and started reading I saw this post and had to join to share my experience with RS4 enthusiasts across the pond.
- Scott Long -

R1RS4
5th Gear

Post by R1RS4 » Tue Aug 05, 2014 6:43 pm

Scott Long wrote:Apparently over time the engine heat takes a toll on the plastic piece so the aluminum slave cylinder should be more durable in the long term.

A lot of US RS4 owners have dealt with the clutch issues too. When I found this site and started reading I saw this post and had to join to share my experience with RS4 enthusiasts across the pond.

Cheers mate
RS4 B7 Avant,2007

Return to “RS4 (B7 Typ 8E) 2006–2008”