Quest for the Wholy Grail (Answers to "Sticky" Clutch issue)

4.2 V8 32v Naturally Aspirated - 414 bhp
BMWM3RS4
Neutral

Re: Quest for the Wholy Grail (Answers to "Sticky" Clutch is

Post by BMWM3RS4 » Sat Apr 04, 2015 1:15 am

Still waiting for information.... Its crazy that a $100,000 sedan that Audi made is doing this!

Surrey Sam
Cruising

Post by Surrey Sam » Sat Apr 04, 2015 10:57 am

BMWM3RS4 wrote:Still waiting for information.... Its crazy that a $100,000 sedan that Audi made is doing this!
Have you fitted the clutch pressure line part you purchased?

edge wrote:
BMWM3RS4 wrote:Any more info to this?

I just ordered this part http://www.ecstuning.com/Audi-B7_RS4--V8/ES437669/

Many people have replaced this part and it seems like the sticky clutch went away?

let me know
Has anyone on here done that with success? I dont recall anyone confirming the best way to fix this issue with a full set up change?
R1RS4 got his fixed by Camberley Audi fitting this part. My opinion on this though, is that it needs to be caught early on when the problem manifests. Too many people ignore the signs and drive around with the fault, causing additional wear to other items. The trouble is, say you've just bought a car that has passed through a few hands where this has not been addressed, you'll be faced with the bigger bill.

More/different opinions are in this thread:

viewtopic.php?f=35&t=109577&hilit=camberley
Sepang Blue B8 RS4, MY14, All option packs, B&O, Adv Key, Adapt Cruise, Pan Roof, Akrapovic Titanium Exhaust, + more.
Previous - Sprint Blue B7 RS4 Avant, Ceramics, Sunroof, SS+, Buckets, FBSW, Bluetooth, 2010+ RNSe
Previous - Phantom Black B7 RS4 Avant, Black Optics, Titan pack, SS+, Buckets, FBSW

BMWM3RS4
Neutral

Post by BMWM3RS4 » Sun Apr 05, 2015 3:45 am

My car is going into the body shop next week for some touch up paint work, I am scheduling in my RS4 the week after to have new hydrolic pipe fitted.

http://www.ecstuning.com/Audi-B7_RS4--V8/ES437669/

I will report back, hopefully this issue goes away!

Surrey Sam wrote:
BMWM3RS4 wrote:Still waiting for information.... Its crazy that a $100,000 sedan that Audi made is doing this!
Have you fitted the clutch pressure line part you purchased?

edge wrote:
BMWM3RS4 wrote:Any more info to this?

I just ordered this part http://www.ecstuning.com/Audi-B7_RS4--V8/ES437669/

Many people have replaced this part and it seems like the sticky clutch went away?

let me know
Has anyone on here done that with success? I dont recall anyone confirming the best way to fix this issue with a full set up change?
R1RS4 got his fixed by Camberley Audi fitting this part. My opinion on this though, is that it needs to be caught early on when the problem manifests. Too many people ignore the signs and drive around with the fault, causing additional wear to other items. The trouble is, say you've just bought a car that has passed through a few hands where this has not been addressed, you'll be faced with the bigger bill.

More/different opinions are in this thread:

viewtopic.php?f=35&t=109577&hilit=camberley

BMWM3RS4
Neutral

Post by BMWM3RS4 » Thu Apr 09, 2015 12:34 am

bump to see if anyone that has fitted the updated pipe piece!

Ellis
2nd Gear

Post by Ellis » Thu Apr 09, 2015 8:00 am

BMWM3RS4 wrote:bump to see if anyone that has fitted the updated pipe piece!
Audi have just ordered the revised pipe for my car. Will update once fitted.

EDIT: just been quoted £430.86 inc VAT to supply and fit the revised pipe, discuss your answer... :audibash:

Assuming they must have to move the cats out the way to get in about the gbox hence cost (again assuming most of it is labour however I've only recently become an Audi owner).

audi_do_dat_den
3rd Gear

Post by audi_do_dat_den » Thu Apr 09, 2015 7:42 pm

I might be flamed for this.... but could the problem lie with the 'over-centre spring' mounted at the back of the pedal mechanism?

Ive had intimate relations with my clutch pedal during the last 2 days, trying to change faulty switches and while in there i gave the pedal a good look at to see if there was anything related to the infamous clutch drop issue.
To me, when the pedal is fully depressed, theres a point near the floor where the over-centre spring kind of takes the weight off the pedal.... its noticeable when pushing the pedal by hand anyway.
If there was wear in it, it could alter the geometry of the mechanism enough to cause it to resist freely returning...... just a thought....

BMWM3RS4
Neutral

Post by BMWM3RS4 » Tue Apr 14, 2015 3:25 am

Ellis wrote:

EDIT: just been quoted £430.86 inc VAT to supply and fit the revised pipe, discuss your answer... :audibash:

Assuming they must have to move the cats out the way to get in about the gbox hence cost (again assuming most of it is labour however I've only recently become an Audi owner).

Please do update! I have my car booked in on April 23rd at an independent shop. Hopefully this updated pipe solves the sticky clutch problem.

Ellis
2nd Gear

Post by Ellis » Tue Apr 14, 2015 11:18 am

BMWM3RS4 wrote:
Ellis wrote:

Please do update! I have my car booked in on April 23rd at an independent shop. Hopefully this updated pipe solves the sticky clutch problem.
Still awaiting delivery of part to Aberdeen Audi. Confirmed once again today with the service guys and master tech that this will be a revised part and not a direct replacement.

Fingers crossed. It will be the most expensive pipe I've ever bought anyway. :audibash:

BMWM3RS4
Neutral

Post by BMWM3RS4 » Wed Apr 15, 2015 4:00 am

^^^ Thanks for the prompt reply, I'm keeping a pretty close eye on this thread to see your update...Hope this solves both our issue!

Ellis
2nd Gear

Post by Ellis » Wed Apr 15, 2015 1:41 pm

BMWM3RS4 wrote:^^^ Thanks for the prompt reply, I'm keeping a pretty close eye on this thread to see your update...Hope this solves both our issue!
Sorry, you're going to have to wait a little longer. Aberdeen Audi certainly living up to their 'busiest dealership in the UK' title so they tell me.

Couldn't get it booked in until Friday 8th May - over 3 weeks away FFS. Oh well, that's committed spend shifted into May now, must purchase something in its place for April now. I can sense some non-res centre pipes being bought this month.

BMWM3RS4
Neutral

Post by BMWM3RS4 » Thu Apr 16, 2015 4:26 am

No problem... Keep me posted when you get the new pipe installed.. I'll have mind done on April 23rd and will let you know if I feel a difference!

Ellis
2nd Gear

Post by Ellis » Thu Apr 16, 2015 11:01 am

BMWM3RS4 wrote:No problem... Keep me posted when you get the new pipe installed.. I'll have mind done on April 23rd and will let you know if I feel a difference!
Oh well, in that case, let me know the outcome of your 'fix' once it's installed! I'll put a note in my diary for Friday 24th to check back here :)

Ellis
2nd Gear

Post by Ellis » Thu May 07, 2015 6:18 pm

I have just dropped my car off at Audi to have the so called 'clutch pressure pipe' replaced for the revised item as planned. Hopefully this will sort the sticking clutch pedal issue once and for all.

On a slightly related note, I wanted to check if my experience with the dealer this evening was to be expected...

I waited over 3 weeks to get the car booked in and so a courtesy car was available to get me home, nothing outrageous about that. I however interpret a 'courtesy' car differently to the dealer clearly; I am being charged £20/day for the privilege of driving a battered up A4 diesel. Not so 'courtesy' after all then. When I queried this, terminology quickly changed to 'loan car' which was quite entertaining.

Not only that, they all but forced me to take additional insurance that cut the excess from £1000 to £250 at a cost of £12.

You take your car to the dealership and pay premium labour rate yet this is what the customer is rewarded with. This will absolutely be my last visit to the dealer to have any repair work carried out. Going independent garage from this day forward.

I am a fairly new Audi owner so I am very interested to hear if this is common across all dealerships?

:rant: :thumbsdown:

PetrolDave
Cruising

Post by PetrolDave » Thu May 07, 2015 6:40 pm

Ellis wrote:I have just dropped my car off at Audi to have the so called 'clutch pressure pipe' replaced for the revised item as planned. Hopefully this will sort the sticking clutch pedal issue once and for all.

On a slightly related note, I wanted to check if my experience with the dealer this evening was to be expected...

I waited over 3 weeks to get the car booked in and so a courtesy car was available to get me home, nothing outrageous about that. I however interpret a 'courtesy' car differently to the dealer clearly; I am being charged £20/day for the privilege of driving a battered up A4 diesel. Not so 'courtesy' after all then. When I queried this, terminology quickly changed to 'loan car' which was quite entertaining.

Not only that, they all but forced me to take additional insurance that cut the excess from £1000 to £250 at a cost of £12.

You take your car to the dealership and pay premium labour rate yet this is what the customer is rewarded with. This will absolutely be my last visit to the dealer to have any repair work carried out. Going independent garage from this day forward.

I am a fairly new Audi owner so I am very interested to hear if this is common across all dealerships?

:rant: :thumbsdown:
You're learning the hard way why they are often referred to as "stealers" :audibash:
Gone: 2006 B7 RS4 Avant (Phantom Black)

Ellis
2nd Gear

Post by Ellis » Thu May 07, 2015 7:15 pm

Just had the call from Audi. Replacement pipe has not cured the sticking pedal. :audibash:

Audi went on to explain they were going to change the clutch and release bearing, which I promptly stopped, for the small price of £1400.

I am not convinced the clutch or release bearing is faulty at all - thoughts from other suffering members??

Time for a rethink! :thumbsdown:

Return to “RS4 (B7 Typ 8E) 2006–2008”