Door Handle Rattle - fixed

4.2 V8 32v Naturally Aspirated - 414 bhp
Surrey Sam
Cruising

Door Handle Rattle - fixed

Post by Surrey Sam » Tue Jul 22, 2014 2:33 pm

Just going through RS4 number 2's list of annoying niggles and the driver’s door handle rattle was one towards the top of said list. Every time I closed the door it had an annoying metallic sounding rattle as you closed the door and the painted handle cover felt a little loose upon opening the door as well.

Really simple fix. I found a small art brush buried in the bottom of my tool box which was similar diameter to that of an ink insert for a Bic Biro pen. You then lift the handle up two thirds of the way and look behind the top of the cover, you'll see two metal looking clips which are attached to each other in the shape of one long metal slider. The slider/clips move from left to right to open and the other way to close; I inserted the handle end of the thin art brush and pushed the slider to the open position. This made the handle really loose and you can pull the top out a couple of millimetres which allows you to then move the door handle cover downwards to disengage the bottom from two hooks.

Once the cover was off I just pinched the ends of the slider inwards a little to gain more purchase onto the handle cover and then re-assembled, you slide the clip right to left from the other side of the handle to secure the cover. Problem solved and all done in 5 minutes, I don't even think that I can justify a cool beer to reward myself it was that easy :drink:

If there are a few others out there with this problem then I could dig the camera out and do a proper 'How to DIY' write up for it for it.
Sepang Blue B8 RS4, MY14, All option packs, B&O, Adv Key, Adapt Cruise, Pan Roof, Akrapovic Titanium Exhaust, + more.
Previous - Sprint Blue B7 RS4 Avant, Ceramics, Sunroof, SS+, Buckets, FBSW, Bluetooth, 2010+ RNSe
Previous - Phantom Black B7 RS4 Avant, Black Optics, Titan pack, SS+, Buckets, FBSW

SuprSi
5th Gear

Re: Door Handle Rattle - fixed

Post by SuprSi » Tue Jul 22, 2014 2:35 pm

Gotta love an easy fix :D
2003 C5 RS6 Avant Daytona Grey

Gavla
3rd Gear

Post by Gavla » Tue Jul 22, 2014 5:56 pm

Surrey Sam wrote:Just going through RS4 number 2's list of annoying niggles and the driver’s door handle rattle was one towards the top of said list. Every time I closed the door it had an annoying metallic sounding rattle as you closed the door and the painted handle cover felt a little loose upon opening the door as well.

Really simple fix. I found a small art brush buried in the bottom of my tool box which was similar diameter to that of an ink insert for a Bic Biro pen. You then lift the handle up two thirds of the way and look behind the top of the cover, you'll see two metal looking clips which are attached to each other in the shape of one long metal slider. The slider/clips move from left to right to open and the other way to close; I inserted the handle end of the thin art brush and pushed the slider to the open position. This made the handle really loose and you can pull the top out a couple of millimetres which allows you to then move the door handle cover downwards to disengage the bottom from two hooks.

Once the cover was off I just pinched the ends of the slider inwards a little to gain more purchase onto the handle cover and then re-assembled, you slide the clip right to left from the other side of the handle to secure the cover. Problem solved and all done in 5 minutes, I don't even think that I can justify a cool beer to reward myself it was that easy :drink:

If there are a few others out there with this problem then I could dig the camera out and do a proper 'How to DIY' write up for it for it.
Thanks Sam - That always annoyed me - I'm off to fix mine now ;-)
Go and enjoy a cool beer :beerchug:
RS4 (B7) Saloon Phantom Black, Black Optics, Tech Pack, KW Lowering Spring Kit, Stern Adjustable Arms, MRC Stage 2, Stage 1 Manifold, CAF, LOBA Stage 1 Clutch,
447ps/490nm (MRC), Scorpion Exhaust Non-Res Black Tips, Pre-cats gutted, Shadow Black Chrome Alloys, Viper Alarm, LED Interior lights, Tints

PetrolDave
Cruising

Post by PetrolDave » Tue Jul 22, 2014 6:49 pm

Sadly this is another common B6/B7 A4/S4 problem that we've inherited :audibash:
Gone: 2006 B7 RS4 Avant (Phantom Black)

jaysrs4
5th Gear

Post by jaysrs4 » Tue Jul 22, 2014 10:24 pm

Awesome need to do this on my offside rear passenger door!! Thanks buddy.

WilkinsonRS4
2nd Gear

Post by WilkinsonRS4 » Wed Jul 23, 2014 12:26 am

Surrey Sam wrote:Just going through RS4 number 2's list of annoying niggles and the driver’s door handle rattle was one towards the top of said list. Every time I closed the door it had an annoying metallic sounding rattle as you closed the door and the painted handle cover felt a little loose upon opening the door as well.

Sam thAnks mate yes please get your camera out as this is such an annoying issue on mine too!! Ggrrr
Modified standard exhaust Modified deflapped inlet manifold ported and polished
Head and valve decoke Performance K&N panel filter. Remapped. Lowered slightly (20mm) on KW performance springs Widened on 10mm spacers.

Surrey Sam
Cruising

Post by Surrey Sam » Wed Jul 23, 2014 10:43 am

Ok guy's.

As it's SO annoying :FIREdevil: I'll dig the camera out and do a write up later today.
Sepang Blue B8 RS4, MY14, All option packs, B&O, Adv Key, Adapt Cruise, Pan Roof, Akrapovic Titanium Exhaust, + more.
Previous - Sprint Blue B7 RS4 Avant, Ceramics, Sunroof, SS+, Buckets, FBSW, Bluetooth, 2010+ RNSe
Previous - Phantom Black B7 RS4 Avant, Black Optics, Titan pack, SS+, Buckets, FBSW

wrekka
5th Gear

Post by wrekka » Wed Jul 23, 2014 11:14 am

Nice one-mine is annoying as heck too!
Sold: 2012 RS3 APR St2 exclusive buckets!
Sold: 2014 Audi S4 Avant Black Edition (too slow as a stock car-doesn't sound good);
2016 RS6 performance with Non-res milltek (gutted to sell it) ;
2014 C7, Misano c6 mrc stage 2. AAS Custom Exhaust, cat bypass, itg filters. 731ps 1058nm. Superrbike quick!
TTS RS4 -amazing machine,
Previous:
many, many cars; all great and well-remembered!

JLW_RS4
Neutral

Post by JLW_RS4 » Wed Jul 23, 2014 8:00 pm

I have this also. Figured it was wear and tear from slamming. Look forward to the write-up!

jaysrs4
5th Gear

Post by jaysrs4 » Thu Jul 24, 2014 3:23 pm

Surrey Sam wrote:Ok guy's.

As it's SO annoying :FIREdevil: I'll dig the camera out and do a write up later today.
Tell you what'll make it easier for you. DOn;t bother with the pics. We'll organise a meet and you can just go round all the cars and do it for a bacon bap. Easy peasy :assflash:

RossDagley
Top Gear

Post by RossDagley » Thu Jul 24, 2014 3:27 pm

No seriously - please post pics. I'm half mechanically minded but always break something when it's fiddly trim so please get some photos - or else I'll ave half the door in bits before you know it! Need this exact thing sorted on my drivers door.
Believe only the man who has nothing to gain from what he says.

2017 BMW M4 Competition Pack - Mineral Grey - 530ps by bootmod3, JCWeldfab exhaust.
Previously:
Renault Megane R26 - Liquid Yellow - 275ps.
2015 Audi Exclusive RS4 B8 - Merlin Purple - JCWF Exhaust
2009 Audi RS6 C6 - Phantom Black - 730ps MRC Tuned
2008 Audi RS4 B7 - Phantom Black - 449ps MRC Tuned
2002 Peugeot 106 Gti - Mauritius blue - 430ps Home built.

Surrey Sam
Cruising

Post by Surrey Sam » Thu Jul 24, 2014 6:51 pm

lol @ Jay - A meet would probably have been quicker for me as I've had to wash RS number 2 because it's that stupid black colour which looks dirty as soon as you breath upon it :D

Anyway, fear not Ross. Pictures are in the process of being taken, just had to stop for some dinner.

RossDagley
Top Gear

Post by RossDagley » Thu Jul 24, 2014 10:24 pm

Leg-end thanks :D
Believe only the man who has nothing to gain from what he says.

2017 BMW M4 Competition Pack - Mineral Grey - 530ps by bootmod3, JCWeldfab exhaust.
Previously:
Renault Megane R26 - Liquid Yellow - 275ps.
2015 Audi Exclusive RS4 B8 - Merlin Purple - JCWF Exhaust
2009 Audi RS6 C6 - Phantom Black - 730ps MRC Tuned
2008 Audi RS4 B7 - Phantom Black - 449ps MRC Tuned
2002 Peugeot 106 Gti - Mauritius blue - 430ps Home built.

RIV
Cruising

Post by RIV » Thu Jul 24, 2014 10:29 pm

lol @ Jay - A meet would probably have been quicker for me as I've had to wash RS number 2 because it's that stupid black colour which looks dirty as soon as you breath upon it
Now you start to understand the hassle I went to keep my b7 like it was, for 5 years
Never a black car again :drink:

Surrey Sam
Cruising

Post by Surrey Sam » Fri Jul 25, 2014 11:18 am

RossDagley wrote:Leg-end thanks :D
Leg-end!?!?? You sure, nothing like berating the person you've just asked for help. :thumbsdown:

RIV wrote:
lol @ Jay - A meet would probably have been quicker for me as I've had to wash RS number 2 because it's that stupid black colour which looks dirty as soon as you breath upon it
Now you start to understand the hassle I went to keep my b7 like it was, for 5 years
Never a black car again :drink:
:thumbs: Absolutely agree, managed 3 years with a black car and never again.

I did tell myself off though...when I realised that I was polishing the front wing. Forgot how rewarding it is to polish, as nothing shines quite like black does. :lol:

Return to “RS4 (B7 Typ 8E) 2006–2008”