Inlet Spacers Group buy

4.2 V8 32v Naturally Aspirated - 414 bhp
adsgreen
Cruising

Re: Inlet Spacers Group buy

Post by adsgreen » Mon Jul 14, 2014 7:30 pm

hlbeckley wrote:
So after chatting to JHM abt it, removing the seperators ala MRC de flap, combined with intake spacers and this longer intake tube/tunnel mean better flow and small low rev torque pick up

So they say! I am in just for the reduced heat soak as summer 38c here means she gets hot quick
It's not so much better flow as such... its all to do with shock waves. When the intake valve is open air is rushing in at speed and so has inertia. Then the valve slams shut and the moving air hits it and creates a pressure wave that bounces off the intake valve and the back along the intake trumpet. Eventually this wave will bounce back into the intake trumpet and push air along with it. What you then want to do is time the arrival of this pressure wave with the opening of the intake valve. This is why the length of the intake trumpet is important - shorter trumpets are useful at high rpm whilst longer trumpets are more suited to the longer time between valve opening.
The net effect is that it doesn't really (give or take) change the amount of torque produced but more where it is made. The downside is that as you don't add more torque, moving the curve to the left will reduce top end power (and vice versa). In this instance I don't think there is any information posted so can't guess by how much.
If you look at revvy race engines the intake trumpets are tiny as they are all about top end torque and on some exotic engines they feature variable length intakes to make the most of this effect.

hlbeckley
4th Gear

Post by hlbeckley » Mon Jul 14, 2014 8:34 pm

Thanks for that! Everyday is a school day

I will try get a dyno pre and post install and take a look at the delivery along the curve

sakimano
5th Gear

Post by sakimano » Tue Jul 29, 2014 3:40 am

adsgreen wrote:
docurley wrote:JHM
What do they do? They help bring your intake temps down by insulating the intake manifold from the heat coming from the cylinder heads due to combustion and lengthen your intake runners which in turn creates more torque. With a cooler intake manifold you create a cooler and denser intake charge which helps add more tq and hp, gear after gear! All in all a great mod for the money especially on the RS4 that is lacking in the torque department. With our in house testing we found a gain everywhere in the rev range from 2500 rpm to 8000 rpm. The biggest gains were from 4000 to 6000 rpm, with the 2nd best area of gains from 5000 to 7000 rpm. This was done with acceleration rate calculations in 3rd gear from logs. The BEST part is that we saw that the car didn't slow down after repeated pulls due to an extremely heat soaked intake manifold bringing the intake temps up. Bottom line, the longer we beat on it the better it performed vs. the tests without the spacers.
Its quotes like this that do cause a raised eyebrow.
Intake spacers are like a cold air feed. They add absolutely nothing to power or torque but instead allow you to keep the power for longer before the Ecu has to cut timing as the heated intake charge starts to reduce the air density.
If you were to do back to back tests you should see very little difference and even then depending on how much (if any) the extra trumpet length effect has then there isn't any opportunity to increase top end power.

I'm not saying they won't have an effect but the above post reads like so many CAF claims that power is improved everywhere and that you will actually get a higher output.
You do get a higher output. That's the point of the testing they did.

Hot car vs hot car with spacers, there were rpm /sec gains. Simple enough.

At no point do JHM claim "xx HP gains!"

Further comparing this to a cold air or open element intake on this car is foolish. Phenolic spacers preserve your ability to make power (however small) whereas intakes actually LOSE you power on the RS4 due to engine bay heat and extreme sensitivity to IAT.

Hardly a fair comment by you.

Rick_RS4
Cruising

Post by Rick_RS4 » Tue Jul 29, 2014 8:46 am

Ok I've spoken to Mario about the spacers

He can do a set of spacers with longer bolts for £65 and will post 10 sets for £60

I'll suggest posting to me then I will send out to you guys

I'd say it would be about £75 a set delivered depending on import fees but that's not usually a massive problem.

Who wants a set?

1.Rick

docurley
5th Gear

Post by docurley » Tue Jul 29, 2014 12:40 pm

Rick_RS4 wrote:Ok I've spoken to Mario about the spacers

He can do a set of spacers with longer bolts for £65 and will post 10 sets for £60

I'll suggest posting to me then I will send out to you guys

I'd say it would be about £75 a set delivered depending on import fees but that's not usually a massive problem.

Who wants a set?

1.Rick

Lol he's email you and me at the same time with the same info, without the GB form being completed we can not go ahead with this, and I do think it should be completed before we commit to this but yes I'm in.
Avus Audi RS4 2076|Black optic |Carbon Airbag surround|LED'S inside|RNS-E style Android Stereo with DAB+ dongle|

Rick_RS4
Cruising

Post by Rick_RS4 » Tue Jul 29, 2014 12:46 pm

Oh right.

Didn't know the was a form to fill out either. Once we get 10 then I will do the form?

Hopefully should get 10 as they are pretty good value for money

docurley
5th Gear

Post by docurley » Tue Jul 29, 2014 1:20 pm

Rick_RS4 wrote:Oh right.

Didn't know the was a form to fill out either. Once we get 10 then I will do the form?

Hopefully should get 10 as they are pretty good value for money
He's got it I gave it to him to fill out when you first started this thread as I was in talks with him the same time you was. ......... great minds think alike.
Avus Audi RS4 2076|Black optic |Carbon Airbag surround|LED'S inside|RNS-E style Android Stereo with DAB+ dongle|

hlbeckley
4th Gear

Post by hlbeckley » Tue Jul 29, 2014 2:44 pm

Ps I received mine yesterday evening, I have popped up pics on my ride thread
Look top quality, very impressed
Can get more detailed pics if u require
Carbon clean booked for monday

docurley
5th Gear

Post by docurley » Tue Jul 29, 2014 3:27 pm

adsgreen
Cruising

Post by adsgreen » Tue Jul 29, 2014 4:50 pm

Not sure I see how it is unfair.
if you pre warmed the oil and dyno'd an engine so heat soak was not an issue then it would register the highest output. It would then start drop off as the temperature increased and timing has to be cut to prevent knocking.
Insulating the manifold is one way to reduce the heat impact on the air charge as is directing in ambient air temp directly and quickly as possible from a source not being heated by the engine. under these conditions there wouldn't be any difference between any of the combinations (bar intake runner length effects which may or may not be a factor).

The impression from JHM's own text is that you get more torque from longer runners. This is not true - the curve moves down the rpm range so low end torque appears higher at the expense of high rpm.
The other part says more power and more torque which is slightly misleading - it lets you keep what the engine is capable of and reduces the rate at which heat will impact the air. Minor point, perhaps, but one I think it more accurate.

I'm not sure what you mean why a cold air feed would lose power?

docurley
5th Gear

Post by docurley » Tue Jul 29, 2014 8:52 pm

GB info in and I have forwarded it on to administerto look at.

Rick_RS4
Cruising

Post by Rick_RS4 » Tue Jul 29, 2014 9:49 pm

i dont think were going to get 10, people need

''this will add 1000 bhp''

to warrant the spend, also is a bit of a hassle to fit unless your doing a carbon clean.

docurley
5th Gear

Post by docurley » Tue Jul 29, 2014 11:19 pm

Rick_RS4 wrote:i dont think were going to get 10, people need

''this will add 1000 bhp''

to warrant the spend, also is a bit of a hassle to fit unless your doing a carbon clean.
I'm doing a carbon clean so no issues for me, well if we can't get 10 people then I'm going to order one for myself and see if I can use my staff discount and get it shipped via DHL for any cheaper.

sakimano
5th Gear

Post by sakimano » Sat Aug 02, 2014 1:47 am

adsgreen wrote: I'm not sure what you mean why a cold air feed would lose power?
I keep forgetting that you guys still buy them.

Never mind :)

S4Player
Top Gear

Post by S4Player » Sat Aug 02, 2014 2:20 am

sakimano wrote:
adsgreen wrote: I'm not sure what you mean why a cold air feed would lose power?
I keep forgetting that you guys still buy them.

Never mind :)
Why wouldn't they?
1*** hp TTE C6 rs6 saloon and the ultimate WB B5

Return to “RS4 (B7 Typ 8E) 2006–2008”