JHM stage 1 supercharger kit

4.2 V8 32v Naturally Aspirated - 414 bhp
adsgreen
Cruising

Re: JHM stage 1 supercharger kit

Post by adsgreen » Fri Sep 12, 2014 9:31 am

rwilsonrs4 wrote:having looked back through the build could you not reposition the filter by shortening the intake hose and put it under the wheelarch at the corner , even get a 90 or 120 deg elbow
Alternatively a shed load of heat shielding and I would seriously look at a NACA duct on the bonnet to supply air to the filter.
There isn't many places that will be drawing in air except that which has passed through the front grill so could already be heated by the radiator.
I'd be looking to fabricate an airbox surround for it to blank of as much heated air as possible fed by a duct on the bonnet and also the wheel arch. This would also protect the electrics from any water entering the bonnet vent.
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/c ... ng_lot.jpg

Doesn't have to be big to have a big impact.

Whilst looking for images I found this...
http://bgimage.greatduckcaper.com/image/duckcar.jpg

neilparf
Cruising

Post by neilparf » Fri Sep 12, 2014 9:32 am

sar wrote:
Surrey Sam wrote:Great work and at a good speed too, as often these 'home' projects take forever.

I ordered a set of front headlights about the same time as you started this project and I'm still waiting for Magnetti Marelli to make them. I reckon you'll be finished before the Italians get their :assflash: into gear.
thanks, i am already finished, have been for some time.....
So, it's just the schlep of posting now! So you do know how it goes and how well it performs!?

Ooooo you tease, sar :biggrin2:
Gone but never forgotten:
2007 RS4 B7 Saloon, Metallic Silver with SS+.
LED's all round and Dectane LED tailights. KDS detail and paint. Lepsons black chrome, heavy on the silver wheels. JCWeldFab full system - valved and no pre-cats. MRC stage 2, de-flap and full carbon clean - 438PS and 489NM. HEL brake lines. H&R Spacers. Gtechniq C1 and EXO V2 coatings. 2010+ RNS-E. On the MRC dyno: http://youtu.be/y_k0VJ2--y8

sar
4th Gear

Post by sar » Fri Sep 12, 2014 9:44 am

rwilsonrs4 wrote:having looked back through the build could you not reposition the filter by shortening the intake hose and put it under the wheelarch at the corner , even get a 90 or 120 deg elbow
ive had all the crap out of that corner when i installed my PES kit and right enough theres not a lot of room even with the aux rad and SAI off , but yours now has the blower in that area also , so ....
Any lowering of intake temps would certainly benefit a FI system , , something i would look into , certainly as with the depth and complexity of the build your doing with the whole car front apart , and it not having the additional charge cooler that the stg 2 has , it will definately help to try and get that air intake away from there ,
what your doing is the kind o stuff i loved doing and why i also did mine myself , not so complex as yours but had its ups and downs, it was the little unexpected things that held the job up , like the amount of carbon , the routing of the hoses, mounting the coolant pump , the pre cooler was fouling the front crash member , the horn had to be moved to allow the hoses through, a small thing you might think but there was nowhere else to put it where the bumper wouldnt foul , the bumper internals also fouled the cooler when fitted so needed some dressing
i salute your work and look forward to the seat of pants results and the :biggrin3: on your face once done
i still love mine and everyone else whose been in it does also , though not so much my girfriend as she doesnt like getting her head whacked on the seat when i boot it if shes not expecting it :jump_clap:
edit . since my last post i have seen the post where you say its finished so unless your going stg 2 sometime i suppose it will be staying as is :-)
adsgreen wrote:
rwilsonrs4 wrote:yip i agree vey hot , but by the look of it theres nowhere else the air can be drawn from , shame the intake cant be repsitioned so the filter sits right in the duct which fed the aux rad that used to be there , that would be the best place exer , right in direct airflow :-)

Other places can be good - under the windscreen where the ECU's are would be great as is drawing from the wheel arch. Both are positive pressure areas that can work better than in direct flow.
honestly believe me there is no room, you couldnt put the filter under the drivers wing because the ac lines pass through here once modded.
even if the ac lines were not there you would never get the wheel arch liner back in, here is a quick pic from behind...
IMG_20140808_171243.jpg
no way you could get the filter and pipe work into the ecu area, the master ecu would be a knightmare to relocate, you would have to extend all the wiring loom and do major surgery to the strut top and bulk head just to get the room to pass the intake pipe through.
b7rs4 phantom black, titan pack.

sar
4th Gear

Post by sar » Fri Sep 12, 2014 9:47 am

neilparf wrote:
sar wrote:
Surrey Sam wrote:Great work and at a good speed too, as often these 'home' projects take forever.

I ordered a set of front headlights about the same time as you started this project and I'm still waiting for Magnetti Marelli to make them. I reckon you'll be finished before the Italians get their :assflash: into gear.
thanks, i am already finished, have been for some time.....
So, it's just the schlep of posting now! So you do know how it goes and how well it performs!?

Ooooo you tease, sar :biggrin2:
:sekret: :bigblink:

adsgreen
Cruising

Post by adsgreen » Fri Sep 12, 2014 9:49 am

sar wrote:
ive had all the crap out of that corner when i installed my PES kit and right enough theres not a lot of room even with the aux rad and SAI off , but yours now has the blower in that area also , so ....
Any lowering of intake temps would certainly benefit a FI system , , something i would look into , certainly as with the depth and complexity of the build your doing with the whole car front apart , and it not having the additional charge cooler that the stg 2 has , it will definately help to try and get that air intake away from there ,
what your doing is the kind o stuff i loved doing and why i also did mine myself , not so complex as yours but had its ups and downs, it was the little unexpected things that held the job up , like the amount of carbon , the routing of the hoses, mounting the coolant pump , the pre cooler was fouling the front crash member , the horn had to be moved to allow the hoses through, a small thing you might think but there was nowhere else to put it where the bumper wouldnt foul , the bumper internals also fouled the cooler when fitted so needed some dressing
i salute your work and look forward to the seat of pants results and the :biggrin3: on your face once done
i still love mine and everyone else whose been in it does also , though not so much my girfriend as she doesnt like getting her head whacked on the seat when i boot it if shes not expecting it :jump_clap:
edit . since my last post i have seen the post where you say its finished so unless your going stg 2 sometime i suppose it will be staying as is :-)
adsgreen wrote:
rwilsonrs4 wrote:yip i agree vey hot , but by the look of it theres nowhere else the air can be drawn from , shame the intake cant be repsitioned so the filter sits right in the duct which fed the aux rad that used to be there , that would be the best place exer , right in direct airflow :-)

Other places can be good - under the windscreen where the ECU's are would be great as is drawing from the wheel arch. Both are positive pressure areas that can work better than in direct flow.
honestly believe me there is no room, you couldnt put the filter under the drivers wing because the ac lines pass through here once modded.
even if the ac lines were not there you would never get the wheel arch liner back in, here is a quick pic from behind...
IMG_20140808_171243.jpg
no way you could get the filter and pipe work into the ecu area, the master ecu would be a knightmare to relocate, you would have to extend all the wiring loom and do major surgery to the strut top and bulk head just to get the room to pass the intake pipe through.
Sorry - misunderstood me... leave the filter where it is and make suitable vents with some ducting.

sar
4th Gear

Post by sar » Fri Sep 12, 2014 9:55 am

adsgreen wrote:
Alternatively a shed load of heat shielding and I would seriously look at a NACA duct on the bonnet to supply air to the filter.
There isn't many places that will be drawing in air except that which has passed through the front grill so could already be heated by the radiator.
I'd be looking to fabricate an airbox surround for it to blank of as much heated air as possible fed by a duct on the bonnet and also the wheel arch. This would also protect the electrics from any water entering the bonnet vent.
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/c ... ng_lot.jpg

Doesn't have to be big to have a big impact.

Whilst looking for images I found this...
http://bgimage.greatduckcaper.com/image/duckcar.jpg
i have thought about some type of home made airbox/partition, the area is just a bit busy with pipes to get something that would effectively seal that area off.
the bonnet duct would be the more or less only effective way of feeding the air in, just dont really want a hole in my bonnet...or do i??? lol.

Mario@C-TEQ
Neutral

Post by Mario@C-TEQ » Fri Sep 12, 2014 9:58 am

`Wow, what a intense install.

Job well done so far! Im sure it will be worth it...

sar
4th Gear

Post by sar » Fri Sep 12, 2014 9:58 am

adsgreen wrote:Sorry - misunderstood me... leave the filter where it is and make suitable vents with some ducting.
kk get you now, i still think you would struggle getting any duct work in.

RIV
Cruising

Post by RIV » Sun Sep 21, 2014 10:16 pm

What's happening to this then sar?

caldy
4th Gear

Post by caldy » Wed Sep 24, 2014 2:00 pm

[/quote]the bonnet duct would be the more or less only effective way of feeding the air in, just dont really want a hole in my bonnet...or do i??? lol.[/quote]

.....u need a c/f Vorsteiner.........and I happen to have one.....
RS4 B7 Phantom Black

neilparf
Cruising

Post by neilparf » Wed Sep 24, 2014 8:04 pm

RIV wrote:What's happening to this then sar?
+1 - it's like mid-season-break of the Soprano's!
Gone but never forgotten:
2007 RS4 B7 Saloon, Metallic Silver with SS+.
LED's all round and Dectane LED tailights. KDS detail and paint. Lepsons black chrome, heavy on the silver wheels. JCWeldFab full system - valved and no pre-cats. MRC stage 2, de-flap and full carbon clean - 438PS and 489NM. HEL brake lines. H&R Spacers. Gtechniq C1 and EXO V2 coatings. 2010+ RNS-E. On the MRC dyno: http://youtu.be/y_k0VJ2--y8

RIV
Cruising

Post by RIV » Wed Sep 24, 2014 8:19 pm

I reckon there's a problem with the JHM tune

bam_bam
Cruising

Post by bam_bam » Wed Sep 24, 2014 8:47 pm

Just get Mihnea to map it, what would 'mericans know about European fuel.
No matter where you go, there you are.

RIV
Cruising

Post by RIV » Wed Sep 24, 2014 9:37 pm

Just get Mihnea to map it, what would 'mericans know about European fuel.
No MRC don't do the testing on the strip, so that's no good

bam_bam
Cruising

Post by bam_bam » Wed Sep 24, 2014 10:39 pm

Touché.
No matter where you go, there you are.

Return to “RS4 (B7 Typ 8E) 2006–2008”