Dodgy Rear End issue.....

4.2 V8 32v Naturally Aspirated - 414 bhp
esp_mm-270
4th Gear

Dodgy Rear End issue.....

Post by esp_mm-270 » Tue Aug 20, 2013 3:46 pm

This is a bit of a long story but wanna get all relevant info on, so......

So, I was getting my car ready for a show, full detail and wheel referb. So, got the car on axle stands whilst the wheels were being done and did the detail.

Got the wheels back and needed new tyres for the rear (Goodyear F1 Assy II's) and I also fitted 8/10mm spacers. So all good, took the car home from the yard. On route I noticed a really bad movement at the rear (lucky we have ESP or I'd be dead!). Though it might be the paint on the wheels so give the nuts a good tighten, still the same. I also noticed that if you push the rear wing there is massive movement on the tyre wall! If you do the steering wiggle (like the f1 drivers do to warm tyres or see if wheels are on right) its all over the place, like the rear is shifting around. Its much worse/dangerous on long sweeping high speed turns.

With this in mind I took the rear spacers off and tried again. It was a bit better so I figured on taking it to AMD for alignment and check of suspension. The N/S/F was a little out and the suspension is fine. I went back to the tyre fitters and they said although they've not had faulty tyres before the movement in the tyre wall was a lot for any tire, let alone a 35 profile. They said get back to the tyre suppliers. They said I had to buy more new tyres and if the old ones were defective I would get my money back eventually.

Any idea's or suggestions on how to move forward or anything else I should look at?

A couple of pics......

I like the look but prolly need to key in the alloy trim and wing mirrors with wheels (after I get the issue sorted :boohoo: )
ImageImage

bam_bam
Cruising

Re: Dodgy Rear End issue.....

Post by bam_bam » Tue Aug 20, 2013 3:52 pm

DRC issue...
No matter where you go, there you are.

TonyHayers
5th Gear

Post by TonyHayers » Tue Aug 20, 2013 3:59 pm

Massive movement on the tyre wall sounds a bit dodgy, that'd be the tyres!

Otherwise, some things to look at re. handling (assuming your DRC is fine)...
- Wheel bearings
- Top links
- Broken spring

Any knocking noises? Hard to tell in the pictures, but is one rear side sitting a lot lower than the other when flat?
06 Phantom Black Saloon:
DONE: Water Meth Injection, Carbon clean at 64k, CAI, Gutted Precats, Non-res x-pipe, H&R 8mm spacers, H&R springs
^ GONE :cry:

esp_mm-270
4th Gear

Post by esp_mm-270 » Tue Aug 20, 2013 3:59 pm

Bam, that was my first thought what with the car being in the air for 3 days but it don't seem to clonk over bumps. In the old days you'd bounce a corner of the car and when you stopped if it went more than up, down then settle the shock had gone. I'm assuming you can't do this on these?

Another thing, wouldn't AMD have noticed DRC fail on road test? Having said that they didn't notice the issue was still there on test drive.
ImageImage

esp_mm-270
4th Gear

Post by esp_mm-270 » Tue Aug 20, 2013 4:07 pm

TonyHayers wrote:Massive movement on the tyre wall sounds a bit dodgy, that'd be the tyres!

Otherwise, some things to look at re. handling (assuming your DRC is fine)...
- Wheel bearings
- Top links
- Broken spring

Any knocking noises? Hard to tell in the pictures, but is one rear side sitting a lot lower than the other when flat?
Thanks Tony.

Yeah sorry, its sitting half down a ditch hence the wonky look. It sits right on the flat.

No knocking noises and over pot holes it makes a nice thump, thump as it has since I got it. On both sides.

Don't think its wheel bearings as I would get noise wouldn't i?

AMD oughta have noticed top links or broken springs and its level so both springs would have to have broke, but I'll deffo check these.
ImageImage

Spaceman_RS4
3rd Gear

Post by Spaceman_RS4 » Tue Aug 20, 2013 4:46 pm

What's the load rating on the tyres and pressures?
Ordered b9 S4 Avant ibis white
Panther black 8V RS3
Misano Red B7 RS4 Saloon

esp_mm-270
4th Gear

Post by esp_mm-270 » Tue Aug 20, 2013 5:16 pm

Spaceman_RS4 wrote:What's the load rating on the tyres and pressures?
All 4 are 96 load rating and I've tried....... Front..... Rear
.......... . ......................................................41...... .. 40 ..... Whats in them now coz tyre fitters wanted to try 40 in rear
.......... .......... ........................................... 41.......... 38
.......... .......................................................40 ........ 37
ImageImage

coffey555
5th Gear

Post by coffey555 » Tue Aug 20, 2013 5:27 pm

New tyres take a bit of mileage to scrub in due to the release agent that stops them sticking to the mould. Have you tried swapping the wheels around so the new ones are on the front?

If it understeers everywhere then that would at least pin it down to the new tyres.

Lots of sidewall flex is a bit of a worry though!
Misano Red RS4 B7 Avant

esp_mm-270
4th Gear

Post by esp_mm-270 » Tue Aug 20, 2013 5:28 pm

Just done a small vid so you can see what I mean. My back is screwed so I can't put excessive lateral load through it but the tyre moves right up the sides :(

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dVTBSPhU ... e=youtu.be
ImageImage

esp_mm-270
4th Gear

Post by esp_mm-270 » Tue Aug 20, 2013 5:30 pm

coffey555 wrote:New tyres take a bit of mileage to scrub in due to the release agent that stops them sticking to the mould. Have you tried swapping the wheels around so the new ones are on the front?

If it understeers everywhere then that would at least pin it down to the new tyres.

Lots of sidewall flex is a bit of a worry though!
Sounds like a plan, I'll try that tomorrow. Thanks coffey :)
ImageImage

scaghead
Top Gear

Post by scaghead » Tue Aug 20, 2013 5:35 pm

Bloody hell fella,I am no expert but the tyre/wheel should not be moving like that..I would be scared to drive it tbh..logic would say its the tyres as they have been changed and it was ok before..
R8 gen1 v10 plus white. Larini clubsport valved zorst.carbon side flicks,and fixed carbon spoiler.
Previous..RS4 Sprint blue loon..milltek non-res valved.revolution carbon air intake kit.cold air feed.carbon clean.MRC stage 2 remap..led interior lights.dectane led rear lights.led drls.Argon carbon oil splitter,race style front splitter,B and C door pillars and engine bottle cover..KW lowering springs.HEL brake lines all round.

esp_mm-270
4th Gear

Post by esp_mm-270 » Tue Aug 20, 2013 5:39 pm

scaghead wrote:Bloody hell fella,I am no expert but the tyre/wheel should not be moving like that..I would be scared to drive it tbh..logic would say its the tyres as they have been changed and it was ok before..
Thats my logic also assuming it being on stands and having the suspension at full travel has not done something? The front is not the same though so it all does point to the new tyres. BlackCircles are saying I have to buy new tyres and they'll refund me once they've checked them out. I can see myself getting stung here and what if the replacement tyres are from the same batch as the new ones? Lol, goes on and on this.......
ImageImage

scaghead
Top Gear

Post by scaghead » Tue Aug 20, 2013 5:43 pm

Just watched it again and it seems as you rock it, the tyre is not fitting the alloy properly if you get what I mean..so could be the wheel re furb..did they strip the alloys back or did they just go over the existing?
R8 gen1 v10 plus white. Larini clubsport valved zorst.carbon side flicks,and fixed carbon spoiler.
Previous..RS4 Sprint blue loon..milltek non-res valved.revolution carbon air intake kit.cold air feed.carbon clean.MRC stage 2 remap..led interior lights.dectane led rear lights.led drls.Argon carbon oil splitter,race style front splitter,B and C door pillars and engine bottle cover..KW lowering springs.HEL brake lines all round.

esp_mm-270
4th Gear

Post by esp_mm-270 » Tue Aug 20, 2013 5:46 pm

They strip it back at Lepsons I beleive? In fact I'm sure one of the guys said that as it may have caused delays if one of them was painted with harder paint and it didn't strip back over night.
ImageImage

hlbeckley
4th Gear

Post by hlbeckley » Tue Aug 20, 2013 5:46 pm

Saw the title and thought maybe you had gone with firestarter to collect his RS yesterday

Return to “RS4 (B7 Typ 8E) 2006–2008”