Rs4 seats stolen sw London

4.2 V8 32v Naturally Aspirated - 414 bhp
Gavla
3rd Gear

Re: Rs4 seats stolen sw London

Post by Gavla » Mon Jul 22, 2013 12:00 pm

Thanks for the info - just emailing Anthony now ;-)

OP - Sorry to hear your unfortunate news hope you get a good response from Audi UK.
RS4 (B7) Saloon Phantom Black, Black Optics, Tech Pack, KW Lowering Spring Kit, Stern Adjustable Arms, MRC Stage 2, Stage 1 Manifold, CAF, LOBA Stage 1 Clutch,
447ps/490nm (MRC), Scorpion Exhaust Non-Res Black Tips, Pre-cats gutted, Shadow Black Chrome Alloys, Viper Alarm, LED Interior lights, Tints

TonyHayers
5th Gear

Post by TonyHayers » Mon Jul 22, 2013 12:04 pm

Ugh, many sympathies. I think I might be alone in this, but if my seats got nicked/car nicked I think I'd just want my car to be written off so I can be rid of it, providing of course, that I got a decent price. I'm very fortunate never to have been a victim of car crime though, so maybe bit naive.

I think the angle towards Audi should be how they can ship a premium brand vehicle with such a crap alarm that it can be disabled so easily from the interior. If it's *that* easy to do, it's almost worthless.

Out of interest, how are they getting in the first place. Assume they didn't break the glass?
06 Phantom Black Saloon:
DONE: Water Meth Injection, Carbon clean at 64k, CAI, Gutted Precats, Non-res x-pipe, H&R 8mm spacers, H&R springs
^ GONE :cry:

Ian_C
Cruising

Post by Ian_C » Mon Jul 22, 2013 12:39 pm

BenWat wrote:when mine was broken in the glass was simply pulled out and left intact on the roadside
How on earth did they remove the doorglass without breaking it? By cutting the frame / trim?

The B8 has reverted to a more traditional doorframe now, but the B7 and earlier used a different door frame system to most manufacturers, 'cassette' frame as its sometimes called, iirc to replace the glass you have to remove the top of the doorframe which is separate (whereas on most cars you just remove the interior door card)

PS. Any fingerprints on the glass?
B5 B6 B7 B9

andre3k
5th Gear

Post by andre3k » Mon Jul 22, 2013 1:51 pm

^ +1...I dont know how that's possible.

The side glass is designed to break into loadsa tiny pieces. Only way for it to come out in any kind of single piece is if removed intact from the mechanism or if they applied a sticky film onto the outside prior to smashing it in and removing it broken (but with the bits contained by the film)??
Gone: Audi RS4 Avant, Alpina XD3, Smart Brabus, McLaren 12C,

Gavla
3rd Gear

Post by Gavla » Mon Jul 22, 2013 3:14 pm

Noyjatat wrote:That does look very good Gavin, you seen any prices?
I have some prices back which range from £350 (no pager remote), £400 - 450 depending on model and options (which is quite reasonable IMO). The Model 3203 and 3303 however are not Thatcham approved (although the Viper 480xv is) but tbh the insurance companies on our car now only seem to look for a tracker installed before they apply any discount. Viper alarms seem to be quite popular with the BMW community. I think I'll seriously consider one of these as they appear to be a worthwhile investment.

http://www.securemycar.co.uk/viper%20ca ... phone.html

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2TfeItTF ... K5mt1G66gg
RS4 (B7) Saloon Phantom Black, Black Optics, Tech Pack, KW Lowering Spring Kit, Stern Adjustable Arms, MRC Stage 2, Stage 1 Manifold, CAF, LOBA Stage 1 Clutch,
447ps/490nm (MRC), Scorpion Exhaust Non-Res Black Tips, Pre-cats gutted, Shadow Black Chrome Alloys, Viper Alarm, LED Interior lights, Tints

MB2
Top Gear

Post by MB2 » Mon Jul 22, 2013 3:41 pm

This is getting to be horrible reading again, but congrats on the OP for taking this up with Audi - a retrofit locking system would be ideal or uniquely keyed locking bolts. I saw some in the US which had a one-off key although am thinking more & more of one-way bolts and if the seats needed to come out I guess they could always be welded onto to undo.

Trups - would be very interested in your solution and agree fairly unique would be perfectly sufficient for this application.

Dave - interesting thought & makes perfect sense they are ending up in hard to sell comforst seat equipped cars rather than Golfs & A3s.

BenWat
1st Gear

Post by BenWat » Mon Jul 22, 2013 6:04 pm

To try and answer a few questions, I have no idea how they removed the glass intact, but it was left on the side of the road next to the car.

I've spoken to the Audi garage and they have recommended 'metal glue' to the seat nuts. I'm also, if I get sorted going to have a spot weld added.

Secondary, useful alarm will be added too.

I've spoken to Audi uk who tried a brush off, politely, but I've escalated. I am having local police get in contact and also speaking to local police to come up with some options, I won't explain what on Internet site though.

I have a number of people who have sent emails to me but more people I have behind this the better.

It's outrageous the seats being nicked equals write off.

BenWat
1st Gear

Post by BenWat » Mon Jul 22, 2013 7:37 pm

Gavla, alarm looks good, if I get things sorted ill but one, anyone else want to join might be able to sort a discount?

Gavla
3rd Gear

Post by Gavla » Mon Jul 22, 2013 9:04 pm

I'm emailing Antony now and mentioned is there any chance of a group buy discount ;-)
The one he recommends is 3303 which he has on his M3, been doing some research into them and it seems to be a good system.

Viper alarms are American, any US guys use them? or can provide feedback?

The siren they use is 120DB so just a bit louder than the current one. Our current alarm is already Cat 1 fitted from factory so it's already Thatcham approved.

BenWat
1st Gear

Post by BenWat » Mon Jul 22, 2013 9:08 pm

Great.

To clarify I was mistaken, the side glass was broken but it didn't shatter into loads of bits and came out in one large pane, albeit smashed. The previous owner may well have fitted the film, seems strange it came out in one piece otherwise.

Terry1948
4th Gear

Post by Terry1948 » Mon Jul 22, 2013 9:14 pm

It may be that you had double glazed glass.

Noyjatat
Top Gear

Post by Noyjatat » Mon Jul 22, 2013 10:05 pm

I like the alarm Gavin but would have to find one without the get close alarm. Lots of kids on my estate and I imagine it would turn into a game for them and its parked on the road so would be going off every time someone walks past.

Seeing an alarm guy this week, will post what I come up with, if anything. 120dB pfft I want the whole street up! Lets see if I can find one around 150 :D

Gavla
3rd Gear

Post by Gavla » Mon Jul 22, 2013 10:33 pm

I think it's all configurable so that proximity option could be isolated. 120DB is pretty loud - I wonder what our current alarm rating is? - (Think my smoke alarm is louder....)

BenWat
1st Gear

Post by BenWat » Mon Jul 22, 2013 11:41 pm

Rather liking the idea of this smoke deterrent:

http://www.smokemachines.net/buy-car-sm ... stem.shtml

stu
5th Gear

Post by stu » Tue Jul 23, 2013 12:26 am

BenWat wrote:Rather liking the idea of this smoke deterrent:

http://www.smokemachines.net/buy-car-sm ... stem.shtml