Carbon clean with DIY walnut shell blaster

4.2 V8 32v Naturally Aspirated - 414 bhp
MB2
Top Gear

Re: Carbon clean with DIY walnut shell blaster

Post by MB2 » Tue Jul 09, 2013 6:13 pm

[quote="TonyHayers]

* Off-topic: anyone have the thing where VCDS keeps saying "interface not ready" during an Autoscan? It used to do it when I ran it under VMware but since I got a netbook to run it on was working completely fine until today.[/quote]

Hi Tony

First of all - excellent work as always on the valve cleaning!

I had the same issue with VCDS it will get worse and soon you will have to try many times to access a controller even directly. Rosstech rather mean spiritedly refused to help as I wasn't the original owner. I even tried another cable and had the same problems, was about to borrow an oscilloscope when got a new laptop and both cables worked perfectly...

Went back to the old laptop, different usb port and all okay so either try a different usb or do a reinstall or both. My suspicion is I wasn't using the original usb and although the drivers installed themselves it wasn't quite right.

If you are the original owner then take it up with Rosstech but since the new laptop never a problem so it probably isn't the cable itself.

TonyHayers
5th Gear

Post by TonyHayers » Thu Jul 11, 2013 1:00 pm

MB2 wrote:[quote="TonyHayers]

* Off-topic: anyone have the thing where VCDS keeps saying "interface not ready" during an Autoscan? It used to do it when I ran it under VMware but since I got a netbook to run it on was working completely fine until today.
Hi Tony

First of all - excellent work as always on the valve cleaning!

I had the same issue with VCDS it will get worse and soon you will have to try many times to access a controller even directly. Rosstech rather mean spiritedly refused to help as I wasn't the original owner. I even tried another cable and had the same problems, was about to borrow an oscilloscope when got a new laptop and both cables worked perfectly...

Went back to the old laptop, different usb port and all okay so either try a different usb or do a reinstall or both. My suspicion is I wasn't using the original usb and although the drivers installed themselves it wasn't quite right.

If you are the original owner then take it up with Rosstech but since the new laptop never a problem so it probably isn't the cable itself.[/quote][/quote]

Cheers. I've been in touch with Ross Tech support. Gave me a couple of things to try. Tried all the stuff on wiki (basically turning everything off).
06 Phantom Black Saloon:
DONE: Water Meth Injection, Carbon clean at 64k, CAI, Gutted Precats, Non-res x-pipe, H&R 8mm spacers, H&R springs
^ GONE :cry:

TonyHayers
5th Gear

Post by TonyHayers » Thu Jul 11, 2013 1:09 pm

Before I forget, thought worth mentioning couple other parts/tools that I bought for this job...

1) Wooden scraper/pick tools
eBay: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/320868956691

2) Super low profile 1/4 ratchet driver (for bolts on back of Oil separator/breather)
eBay: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/261208747792

3) 14mm x 17mm Flare Nut Spanner (for fuel rail nuts)
eBay: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/280803797152

4) Geniune replacement check valve
eBay: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/150995675646

5) Silicon vacuum hose 8mm OD/4mm ID (for relocating above check valve)
eBay: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/300691592592

06 Phantom Black Saloon:
DONE: Water Meth Injection, Carbon clean at 64k, CAI, Gutted Precats, Non-res x-pipe, H&R 8mm spacers, H&R springs

j1sgo
3rd Gear

Post by j1sgo » Thu Jul 11, 2013 7:02 pm

The amount of times I have needed a ratchet like that :roll: I still don't ever get one though, will ensure to this time.

Nice list of parts there, becoming a very handy how to thread this :beerchug:
Now - Audi SQ5 Plus and planning future A3 3.2 DSG Turbo Project ;)
2011 - 2016 - Daytona RS4 Avant SS+ - Mods: K&N, CAF, Fixed Valves, 2013 RNSE, 8mm Spacers All Round, Carbon Clean, Stage 2 MRC Manifold, Gutted Cats, MRC Stage 2 - 437ps 472Nm
2010 - 2011 Audi 3.0 Q /sport (220bhp)
2003 - 2011 Vauxhall Astra GSI Turbo (340bhp)
2000 - 2003 Vauxhall Astra Sport 2.0 16v 150bhp

guffy
3rd Gear

Post by guffy » Fri Jul 12, 2013 12:56 pm

j1sgo wrote:The amount of times I have needed a ratchet like that :beerchug:
I wish Tony had put that link up last week, :P i spent 2 hours fighting at the back of my engine last night :audibash:

TonyHayers
5th Gear

Post by TonyHayers » Fri Jul 12, 2013 1:09 pm

guffy wrote:
j1sgo wrote:The amount of times I have needed a ratchet like that :beerchug:
I wish Tony had put that link up last week, :P i spent 2 hours fighting at the back of my engine last night :audibash:
Sorry about that mate, I meant to, but thought it might be too much information :) I mainly followed the SilverRS4 notes on manifold removal and it said you needed a really low profile ratchet so I bought it a while back.

That bit is the trickiest imv, getting that one lower bolt off the back of the oil separator. I couldn't get the SAI pipes off so just took the bolts off it and wedged it back away from oil separator with some plastic trim tools. That *just* gave me enough room to get the low profile ratchet in.

Oops, almost forgot, it's a standard 1/4 inch hex bit driver. It doesn't come with the T30 torx bit so I cut a normal T30 bit down with a grinder to fit so only the torx driver bit was sticking out.
06 Phantom Black Saloon:

RS4pete
3rd Gear

Post by RS4pete » Thu Aug 01, 2013 12:55 pm

What a great thread! Thankyou :) .... just about to order the parts linked above and embark on a CC ... do you have a link to the inlet manifold removal info please?
--------------------
B7 RS4
Mi16'd 205 1.9 Gti
1999 Yamaha R6
White Transit :)

TonyHayers
5th Gear

Post by TonyHayers » Thu Aug 01, 2013 1:05 pm

RS4pete wrote:What a great thread! Thankyou :) .... just about to order the parts linked above and embark on a CC ... do you have a link to the inlet manifold removal info please?
Hi Pete- excellent, do let us know how you get on.

I used the notes from SilverRS4 here: http://audirevolution.net/forum/index.php?topic=439.0

...together with my ebay sourced ELSA, which has better pictures - adsgreen also sent me some larger pics, sure he will send them to you too if you ask him.
06 Phantom Black Saloon:

RS4pete
3rd Gear

Post by RS4pete » Thu Aug 01, 2013 1:21 pm

awesome, thanks for the link.

I'll also look to P&P the manifold whilst its off, along with removal of the tumble flaps. Install a CAF and inspect the oil cooler and oil separator as they seem prone to failure.

Will certainly keep you updated :)
--------------------
B7 RS4
Mi16'd 205 1.9 Gti
1999 Yamaha R6
White Transit :)

ferchizzle
Neutral

Post by ferchizzle » Mon Apr 07, 2014 6:38 pm

Tony - thank you for sharing your walnut blasting setup. Do you have a template for the wooden adapter plate that you can share with the rest of us so we can all try it on our cars?
TonyHayers wrote:So, this weekend is/was my decoke weekend. I finished porting new manifold and organised compressor for weekend.

I've done 5 ports, but I'm a bit stuck now as I can't seem to be able to turn engine over to close the remaining 3 ports! Turning over crankshaft is a no no since there's no access, I looked at activating starter motor momentarily (ignition off!) to rotate cams enough to close valves but again no access. I've heard of putting it in gear and rolling car but I'm on my own and I can't for the life of me get it to budge. What am I doing wrong? :)

If anyone else is interested in doing this, here's the process I found works best for cleaning...

(1) on each closed valve, fill with Wynns carb/tb cleaner and leave to soak for an hour (if it drains away, you know the valve is open :)
(2) after soaking, use wooden picks (I bought a set of wooden pottery tools from ebay) to go round the valve seat area. 2 minutes.
(3) soak up the dirty carb cleaner with bits of sponge and/or rags - doesn't have to be completely dry - I just left the gloopy stuff at the bottom. 1 minute.
(4) place blaster/vacuum plate* on port and blast each valve, moving head around, a minute or so is enough to get rid of nearly everything. 2 minutes.
(5) I then got a little bit of red scotch brite with carb cleaner on and went round the walls of the port to get rid of any patches. 2 minutes.
(6) second quick blast to get rid of any bits cleaned off in step 5. 1 minute
(7) final wipe off with rag and carb cleaner to get rid of any remaining marks. 1 minute.
(8) tape off completed valve with gaffer tape.

* I hacked together a little plate to fit over one port at a time, which I attached a small appliance plumbing hose and then made a whole to fit the blaster head through. Once I've given one valve in a port a blast, just flip it round and do the other one.

I'm really pleased with the results. The valves look like new once it's done.

MikeFish
Cruising

Post by MikeFish » Mon Apr 07, 2014 8:56 pm

I haven't seen Tony on this forum for ages. Wonder wher he's been? Maybe he sold his car?

TonyHayers
5th Gear

Post by TonyHayers » Tue Apr 08, 2014 11:24 am

ferchizzle wrote:Tony - thank you for sharing your walnut blasting setup. Do you have a template for the wooden adapter plate that you can share with the rest of us so we can all try it on our cars?
I don't have a template, simply a gasket for a template. Here's quick walkthrough...

1) I used one of the new gaskets I bought to draw the shape onto a piece of old floorboard and cut it out, so that it would slot into the intake port.
2) I glued this to a slightly larger piece of plywood, so that it would stop it falling in and would make a reasonable seal
3) I drilled one hole all the way through for the blaster nozzle and countersunk it so that the nozzle could be poked through it and be angled and aimed all round the port for cleaning.
4) I drilled another larger hole and glued in a 15mm plastic pipe support (the black thing), to which the vacuum/appliance hose could attach to.

HTH.
06 Phantom Black Saloon:

TonyHayers
5th Gear

Post by TonyHayers » Tue Apr 08, 2014 11:28 am

MikeFish wrote:I haven't seen Tony on this forum for ages. Wonder wher he's been? Maybe he sold his car?
Hey Mike! yeah, I've not been around for a while. Partly because of work and family stuff (and it being winter) I've not done anything with the car for ages, except buy fuel. I am looking to sell though :( I just don't get the chance to drive the car to it's potential so it's a bit of a waste at the moment. A lot of my driving is commute atm also so it's costing me an arm and a leg for not much fun.

It's a shame though. I'd have liked to have got the stage 2 remap that the car deserves :)
06 Phantom Black Saloon:

RIV
Cruising

Post by RIV » Tue Apr 08, 2014 11:31 am

Shame your thinking if selling after doing all the work with the meth, I enjoyed reading about that,clever stuff!!still got your old inlet manifold :bash:

TonyHayers
5th Gear

Post by TonyHayers » Tue Apr 08, 2014 11:37 am

Silas wrote:Shame your thinking if selling after doing all the work with the meth, I enjoyed reading about that,clever stuff!!still got your old inlet manifold :bash:
Haha, come on Silas mate, get it together.

Yeah, I really enjoyed doing all that, feel like I know this car so well now and it drives sweet and sounds awesome, but I so rarely get the chance to put my foot down past the 5500 where it really takes off and gets exciting.
06 Phantom Black Saloon:

Return to “RS4 (B7 Typ 8E) 2006–2008”