Carbon clean with DIY walnut shell blaster

4.2 V8 32v Naturally Aspirated - 414 bhp
TonyHayers
5th Gear

Re: Carbon clean with DIY walnut shell blaster

Post by TonyHayers » Mon May 12, 2014 1:42 pm

dust1961 wrote:I have just competed de-coke with my DIY walnut blast and vacuum. Excellent results can give advice and pictures of the setup if anyone is interested. Also did away with the inlet flaps and took the slack out of the linkage for the positioner feedback. Not recommended for a novice but anyone used to doing their own work it can be a big saving.
Nice one :thumbs:
06 Phantom Black Saloon:
DONE: Water Meth Injection, Carbon clean at 64k, CAI, Gutted Precats, Non-res x-pipe, H&R 8mm spacers, H&R springs
^ GONE :cry:

PetrolDave
Cruising

Post by PetrolDave » Mon May 12, 2014 2:32 pm

barryrs wrote:BMW have developed a specific walnut shell blasting tool to address this on the turbo mini's and even sent out a DIY guide adapter head in the meantime for the N73 engine.
Which goes to prove what many have been saying on here for a long time - carbon build-up is NOT a problem that only affects the RS4, but to a lesser or greater extent is something that affects all DI engines.
Gone: 2006 B7 RS4 Avant (Phantom Black)

sakimano
5th Gear

Post by sakimano » Mon May 12, 2014 3:09 pm

barryrs wrote:I didnt think Audi did this in house so the whole head would need to be removed; therefore the cost was substantially higher.

BMW have developed a specific walnut shell blasting tool to address this on the turbo mini's and even sent out a DIY guide adapter head in the meantime for the N73 engine.
They actually did use media blast. In North America at least, but procedures are generally handed down from Germany.

TonyHayers
5th Gear

Post by TonyHayers » Mon May 12, 2014 3:40 pm

Just worth noting that this thread wasn't just any "media blasting" (e.g plastic beads, sand, metal shots etc). We're talking about crushed walnut shells, basically granular hard wood. Personally, I wouldn't use anything else. Two main points: 1) it's much softer than the metal we're blasting, but harder than the carbon deposits (especially once they've been softened with carb cleaner) and 2) it's combustible - leftovers get burnt up immediately.
06 Phantom Black Saloon:
DONE: Water Meth Injection, Carbon clean at 64k, CAI, Gutted Precats, Non-res x-pipe, H&R 8mm spacers, H&R springs

sakimano
5th Gear

Post by sakimano » Mon May 12, 2014 4:22 pm

Yes, it's almost always walnut shells on engines. That's what Audi used over here. BMW too.

TonyHayers
5th Gear

Post by TonyHayers » Mon May 12, 2014 4:26 pm

Yeah, BMW over here is where I got the idea from tbh.
06 Phantom Black Saloon:

adsgreen
Cruising

Post by adsgreen » Tue May 13, 2014 1:46 pm

I do like the idea of the dry ice blasting - much less mess and nothing to combust at all. Just expensive.

GlenRS
1st Gear

Post by GlenRS » Sun Jun 01, 2014 8:49 pm

Well I gave this a go yesterday, and my god what a job.

Manifold off and on is a bit of a pig but we had that off in about an hour hand a half and back on in about an hour. I didnt soak the ports for an hour, but did for a while.

The entire job start to finish including removing the manifold and refitting took 12hours. My car went well as it was and when I got the mani off I didnt think it looked too bad in the ports, but it has def made a big difference.

Cheers for the heads up on the process as it def looked nice and clean when I had finished.

TonyHayers
5th Gear

Post by TonyHayers » Mon Jun 02, 2014 10:50 am

GlenRS wrote:Well I gave this a go yesterday, and my god what a job.

Manifold off and on is a bit of a pig but we had that off in about an hour hand a half and back on in about an hour. I didnt soak the ports for an hour, but did for a while.

The entire job start to finish including removing the manifold and refitting took 12hours. My car went well as it was and when I got the mani off I didnt think it looked too bad in the ports, but it has def made a big difference.

Cheers for the heads up on the process as it def looked nice and clean when I had finished.
Yeah, I wonder if I did soak mine for an hour -does seem too long tbh :bash:

Did you get any photos? if so, you know the drill... :)
06 Phantom Black Saloon:

GlenRS
1st Gear

Post by GlenRS » Thu Jun 05, 2014 8:06 pm

Im afraid I didnt, didnt really get the time to stop and think about taking them as it took long enough as it was, but they were much like yours.

Made use of a fine nozzled air blaster which was really helpful for blowing out some debris and also good at generally dislodging big bits before the walnut shells. Also came in handy for cleaning up the edge of where the valve seat sits when I had finished balsting with the shells.

Can certainly say its not something I want to do again in a hurry, might look into water meth to keep it clean.

Patgas1
1st Gear

Post by Patgas1 » Thu Jun 12, 2014 2:46 pm

I too will be looking to do this soon
List of gaskets ect would be really handy cheers

TonyHayers
5th Gear

Post by TonyHayers » Thu Jun 12, 2014 3:55 pm

Patgas1 wrote:I too will be looking to do this soon
List of gaskets ect would be really handy cheers
I think I listed everything I used except a pair of intake gaskets. Not sure I included them, but everything else is listed earlier in the thread.
06 Phantom Black Saloon:

docurley
5th Gear

Post by docurley » Wed Jul 02, 2014 11:54 am

TonyHayers wrote:Before I forget, thought worth mentioning couple other parts/tools that I bought for this job...

1) Wooden scraper/pick tools
eBay: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/320868956691

2) Super low profile 1/4 ratchet driver (for bolts on back of Oil separator/breather)
eBay: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/261208747792

3) 14mm x 17mm Flare Nut Spanner (for fuel rail nuts)
eBay: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/280803797152

4) Geniune replacement check valve
eBay: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/150995675646

5) Silicon vacuum hose 8mm OD/4mm ID (for relocating above check valve)
eBay: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/300691592592

Just buying all the bits for this but a little lost with the pipework for the check valve bit.
So what I need to know is size of the hose (i see 4mm and 8mm listed) do I need and where do you relocate it too?
Avus Audi RS4 2076|Black optic |Carbon Airbag surround|LED'S inside|RNS-E style Android Stereo with DAB+ dongle|

TonyHayers
5th Gear

Post by TonyHayers » Wed Jul 02, 2014 12:30 pm

You need a piece of silicon tubing with 8mm outside diameter and 4mm inside diameter. 1 metre is probably enough, can't quite remember how much I used though.

The check valve as standard is impossible to get to without removing manifold. Somebody on here wisely suggested relocating it while intake manifold is off, so that it can be reached in future without removing intake manifold. Mine is now located underneath the small front carbon cover, where the other vac lines run.
06 Phantom Black Saloon:

docurley
5th Gear

Post by docurley » Wed Jul 02, 2014 12:53 pm

Ok thanks for that.
Avus Audi RS4 2076|Black optic |Carbon Airbag surround|LED'S inside|RNS-E style Android Stereo with DAB+ dongle|

Return to “RS4 (B7 Typ 8E) 2006–2008”