My Water Meth Installation thread

4.2 V8 32v Naturally Aspirated - 414 bhp
Rick_RS4
Cruising

Re: My Water Meth Installation thread

Post by Rick_RS4 » Tue May 14, 2013 5:21 pm

Having cleaned the valves myself as said earlier I doubt it would remove previous build up, it will help with maintenance but that stuff is stuck on fast.

TonyHayers
5th Gear

Post by TonyHayers » Tue May 14, 2013 5:25 pm

Rick_RS4 wrote:Having cleaned the valves myself as said earlier I doubt it would remove previous build up, it will help with maintenance but that stuff is stuck on fast.
Yeah, that's definitely my view on it.
06 Phantom Black Saloon:
DONE: Water Meth Injection, Carbon clean at 64k, CAI, Gutted Precats, Non-res x-pipe, H&R 8mm spacers, H&R springs
^ GONE :cry:

TonyHayers
5th Gear

Post by TonyHayers » Tue May 14, 2013 11:38 pm

Ok, so final bit of the installation was getting the tank and pump securely located in the boot. I decided from the outset that I wanted to make use of the storage space in the "spare wheel" well and I also wanted a tank of at least 5 litres.

I'm not entirely happy with the end result - mainly because the tank shape isn't ideal (really you want something tall and slim to minimise slosh. I also was a bit hasty in hacking the foam insert to fit the tank when it arrived - I was originally planning on sending the 6mm pipe down the left hand side of the car so I located the pump on the left - in the end I did the other way round which meant the pump was really on the wrong side of the tank.

To route the 6mm pipe out of the wheel well, I used a soldering iron to carefully carve a channel around one of the sides of the foam insert to take the pipe to the edge and then up behind the right hand boot trim.

The pump is fixed to a plywood base which itself is secured to the foam insert.

Blank canvas...

Pump, tank, cabling and pipework installed...

Routing the pipe from tank to pump inlet...

Routing outlet pipe through the carved out channel around foam insert...

Pump fuse and relay unit fixed in place (note the naff block connector for the tank level sensor - the supplied connector fell off)...

View of the 6mm pipework through the side vent in right hand side boot trim. The black conduit is where the pipe heads behind rear seat bolster towards fuel filter cover...

06 Phantom Black Saloon:
DONE: Water Meth Injection, Carbon clean at 64k, CAI, Gutted Precats, Non-res x-pipe, H&R 8mm spacers, H&R springs

TonyHayers
5th Gear

Post by TonyHayers » Mon May 20, 2013 1:26 am

Had my first proper few runs with the water meth tonight. Tried to use VCDS to log some data so we can see what's happening. I logged engine speed (RPM), Intake Air Temp (celcius), Ignition Timing Angle (deg BTDC) and Fuel Rail Pressure. I can't seem to find the right measuring block for injector duty cycle. The data clearly shows the intake air temp dropping with the injection turned on. The ambient air temp was 15C and with the wmi turned off, that was as low as the air temps got (at 8000 RPM) - as you'd expect. With wmi turned on, the temp got down to 6C at 8000 RPM :)

I'm struggling to make sense of the timing data though. It might be that I need to increase the resolution of the logging.

I've uploaded a CSV with the data in case anyone wants to have a look. Marker 2 in the first column is where the WMI was turned on...

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/454 ... 20data.csv
06 Phantom Black Saloon:

MikeFish
Cruising

Post by MikeFish » Mon May 20, 2013 6:57 am

So how does the car feel with the WMI on?

adsgreen
Cruising

Post by adsgreen » Mon May 20, 2013 7:37 am

Be useful if you also had throttle angle - hard to see what demand are being made on the engine.
You can see when you back off though and the timing shoots back.

TonyHayers
5th Gear

Post by TonyHayers » Mon May 20, 2013 10:33 am

adsgreen wrote:Be useful if you also had throttle angle - hard to see what demand are being made on the engine.
Ok, I'll try a few runs tonight logging throttle valve angle (and maybe engine load?).

Does the timing seem "good" to you ads or would you need more data to know that?
06 Phantom Black Saloon:

TonyHayers
5th Gear

Post by TonyHayers » Mon May 20, 2013 10:39 am

MikeFish wrote:So how does the car feel with the WMI on?
Mike - it *feels* much eager to get to the rev limiter that's for sure - I've never hit it so many times by accident :)

Having said that, the wmi is kicking in when all the good stuff is happening so it's hard to avoid the placebo effect - so I'm trying to rely on data. I'm pleased to see how clearly the air temps are affected, but I want to see exactly how this translates to performance.

I'll try and do some Arthur tests tonight too.
06 Phantom Black Saloon:

sonny
Cruising

Post by sonny » Mon May 20, 2013 11:28 am

Great install, looks neat. Do you have a cold air feed as well?

This would be a worthwhile mod if running a GruppeM induction system.
Money can't buy you love, but it can buy you a well sorted racecar

TonyHayers
5th Gear

Post by TonyHayers » Mon May 20, 2013 11:44 am

sonny wrote:Great install, looks neat. Do you have a cold air feed as well?

This would be a worthwhile mod if running a GruppeM induction system.
Cheers Sonny, yeah, I removed aux rad and fitted cold air feed a while back.

06 Phantom Black Saloon:

sonny
Cruising

Post by sonny » Mon May 20, 2013 1:18 pm

Good stuff, I do miss my GruppeM :(
Money can't buy you love, but it can buy you a well sorted racecar

adsgreen
Cruising

Post by adsgreen » Mon May 20, 2013 2:34 pm

TonyHayers wrote:
adsgreen wrote:Be useful if you also had throttle angle - hard to see what demand are being made on the engine.
Ok, I'll try a few runs tonight logging throttle valve angle (and maybe engine load?).

Does the timing seem "good" to you ads or would you need more data to know that?
It certainly looks to have quite aggressive timing advance - only doable if the intake air is under control.
It's the first thing you see back off after a couple runs on the dyno. But need to factor in the throttle position too.
Generally from dyno runs I've seen it's been around 37 degrees advance - have you had it mapped for the water meth?

TonyHayers
5th Gear

Post by TonyHayers » Mon May 20, 2013 2:55 pm

adsgreen wrote:
TonyHayers wrote:

It certainly looks to have quite aggressive timing advance - only doable if the intake air is under control.
It's the first thing you see back off after a couple runs on the dyno. But need to factor in the throttle position too.
Generally from dyno runs I've seen it's been around 37 degrees advance - have you had it mapped for the water meth?
No, this is completely stock map - I'm hoping that the ECU will advance timing based on the lower IATs, so that I don't have to have a permanent remap to benefit timing wise. I don't want to have to run it permanently, or have problems if the tank level is low etc.
06 Phantom Black Saloon:

TonyHayers
5th Gear

Post by TonyHayers » Wed May 22, 2013 12:17 am

Collected a bit more data this evening, have attached the full VCDS log this time as it provides timestamps for each column. I just did a bunch of Arthur runs (upped the marker column each time to make it easier to read). This time I logged Engine speed (RPM), Intake Air temperature, Injection timing angle, Fuel rail pressure, Air mass, Engine Load and Throttle angle/position.

Couple of snippets: Max air mass achieved was 175g/s, Min temp at IAT sensor was 5C (ambient temp about 11.5C) with WMI. Arthur tests very disappointing at a pretty consistent 9.28s - seems like I'm really losing out on some power somewhere. No faults on VCDS :(

Any data scientists fancy taking a look at the data and giving some comments, pls feel free (looking at you, adsgreen... ;)

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/454 ... C-1061.CSV
06 Phantom Black Saloon:

sar
4th Gear

Post by sar » Wed May 22, 2013 12:27 am

tony are you doing the 3-8k test right?.
foot to the floor at 2000rpm in 3rd then start the timer when the needle hits 3000rpm, not start accelerating and starting the timer at 3000rpm.
b7rs4 phantom black, titan pack.

Return to “RS4 (B7 Typ 8E) 2006–2008”