Mike's big RS4 modding project

Start a topic to show off your car or keep us updated on your journey
MikeFish
Cruising

Re: Mike's big RS4 modding project

Post by MikeFish » Wed Jul 15, 2015 8:19 pm

I put my original wheels back on the car last night; first time I'd seen them on with it lowered and the black window trims!

Then I dropped the Rotors off at Prestige for a little love. Not expecting them back until next weekend though.

I'm really loving the sound from my exhaust though, especially given the cost and amount of work that went into it!
As the garage had already closed when I collected it a coupel of weeks ago I didn't get a chance to have a chat about how they got on eith it so I assume they used a bit of flexi as they said they would. But last night when I had the car jacked up for the wheels I had a look at the exhaust and they didn't use any flexi at all, just welded some pipe in (with cross bracing and hangers). As they are a group of mechanics and not exhaust fabricators their welding leaves a little to be desired in terms of prettyness but it looks solid and sounds great!! I must take a video of it revving soon.
Last edited by MikeFish on Tue Sep 20, 2016 8:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Rick_RS4
Cruising

Post by Rick_RS4 » Wed Jul 15, 2015 11:47 pm

still looks smart Mike, but love the rotors. looking forward to seeing the outcome of them

MikeFish
Cruising

Post by MikeFish » Sun Jul 19, 2015 8:50 pm

I've been wanting to pretty up the bare end of the cold air feed pipe for some time now. It is made worse on my car as I have stripped out the mesh from the fog light grills.

I haven't found any rectangular duct that will fit ncely yet (thinking a nice bit of carbon here).
So I measued the pipe and ordered a funnel / trumpet type inlet. As it turns out the pipe I had was not 102mm as I thought it was but turned out to be 89mm (hard to measured partly squashed pipes). But I already ordered a 102mm trumpet at this point. And as it appeared to be too short to reach the trumpet I ordered 2m of expensive heat resistant silicone 102mm pipe. When it turned up it looked pretty much like the cheap pipe #mugged off. And I only needed about 600mm #mugged off again.

But as I already ordered the 102mm pipe and trumpet I'd thought I'd give it a go at installing it. The trottle body seems to be about 102mm so rock on!

Here's the pipe cut to length:

I had no problems feeding it through and connecting the trumpet:

Excuse the dead flies; it had only been washed 4 hours earlier but had a nationwide tour looking for cake decorating shops with the missus.

Whilst I had the air filter out, I'd thought I'd fit the new LED sidelights to get rid of the drivers side error I sometimes got. My hands are a bit fatter than last timeI changed those bulbs as I really struggled. And I managed to drop the old LED bulb into the headlight!!!!!

Nooooo! And I still got the same error when I started up!!! Noooo, it was all for nothing!!! And now I need to remove the bumper to get the headlight out and try and shake the old bulb out. Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!!!!!!!!!! Why do I bother?!!?!!? I'm sure I have an old DRL bulb rattling around in one of the headlights too.
Last edited by MikeFish on Tue Sep 20, 2016 8:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ozzyz
3rd Gear

Post by Ozzyz » Sun Jul 19, 2015 10:11 pm

I did the same thing when I tried to change the drl bulbs a while ago! I wrapped some number plate tape around a coat hook and managed to somehow get it back through the hole. Only problem is you will have to remove your new bulb in order to get the old one out!

MikeFish
Cruising

Post by MikeFish » Sun Jul 19, 2015 10:17 pm

Lol, after a drive I can't even see it anymore. It must be wedged at the bottom at the back somewhere now so looks like the coat hanger option is a no go now, bumped off jobbie now. I have to take the wheels off to swap back to rotors in a week so may take the bumper off at the same time.

flylife2k
1st Gear

Post by flylife2k » Mon Jul 20, 2015 11:45 am

I've had this, it's a pain in the butt getting out... 'nearly' had it several times but I knew it was just not going to happen so off came the headlight. There is a crevice at the bottom of the headlight were it manages to drop into out of site unfortunately... double sided tape on a long thin stick of some sort seems to work well though, maybe you'll have more luck than me

MikeFish
Cruising

Post by MikeFish » Mon Jul 20, 2015 11:52 am

I have a bendy magnetic grabber tool but that was no use. Take the headlight out and try to shake it out the drl hole might be my best bet. Or just take them out, take apart and paint them at the same time.

FaisalJ
Cruising

Post by FaisalJ » Mon Jul 20, 2015 12:01 pm

MikeFish wrote:I have a bendy magnetic grabber tool but that was no use. Take the headlight out and try to shake it out the drl hole might be my best bet. Or just take them out, take apart and paint them at the same time.
You dropped it in there on purpose didn't you?? :bigblink:

Oh well, may as well paint them ....
2007 RS4 B7 Avant
Phantom Black | Black Optics | MRC Stage 2 | JC Weldfab Exhaust | KW V3 coilovers | H&R ARBs | 20" Ispiri ISR-8 | Titanium wing mirrors | Driving Passion Diffuser | CF Air Intake | Manifold deflap | Alcantara/leather retrim | TT RS Steering Wheel | Pioneer Apple Carplay HU, JL amp and sub, Focal components | Clear Headlight Lenses, Black Internals, 6000K Bulbs | Trups LEDs | LED Tail lights |

RossDagley
Top Gear

Post by RossDagley » Mon Jul 20, 2015 12:53 pm

The drivers side headlight can be removed without taking the bumper off if you're careful. I've done it myself. The passenger side though is 100% a bumper off job.
Believe only the man who has nothing to gain from what he says.

2017 BMW M4 Competition Pack - Mineral Grey - 530ps by bootmod3, JCWeldfab exhaust.
Previously:
Renault Megane R26 - Liquid Yellow - 275ps.
2015 Audi Exclusive RS4 B8 - Merlin Purple - JCWF Exhaust
2009 Audi RS6 C6 - Phantom Black - 730ps MRC Tuned
2008 Audi RS4 B7 - Phantom Black - 449ps MRC Tuned
2002 Peugeot 106 Gti - Mauritius blue - 430ps Home built.

Rick_RS4
Cruising

Post by Rick_RS4 » Mon Jul 20, 2015 10:18 pm

magnetic tool is no good as its monkey metal from china, i did the same ha ha , i used a coat hanger and wrapped some double sided round it, the white spongy stuff is really sticky and went in through the drl, it was like the game operation but i did it

MikeFish
Cruising

Post by MikeFish » Tue Jul 21, 2015 12:20 am

I was too annoyed to think straight but yes that might have worked for me had I thought of it.

MikeFish
Cruising

Post by MikeFish » Wed Jul 22, 2015 8:37 am

Boom!

Last edited by MikeFish on Tue Sep 20, 2016 8:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

NJMAudiRS4
4th Gear

Post by NJMAudiRS4 » Wed Jul 22, 2015 10:41 am

Need more pics Mike !! Stop teasing
Audi RS4 Avant. MRC Stage 2 Manifold, caf, Map, JCWF Manifold back Exhaust with Sports Cats, H&R spacers, 449ps & 483nm

RossDagley
Top Gear

Post by RossDagley » Wed Jul 22, 2015 10:56 am

Mike do you want some wheel nut caps/covers? I have some I bought for the RS6 but never fitted brand new in packaging. Can post them to you if you want them? Useless to me.
Believe only the man who has nothing to gain from what he says.

2017 BMW M4 Competition Pack - Mineral Grey - 530ps by bootmod3, JCWeldfab exhaust.
Previously:
Renault Megane R26 - Liquid Yellow - 275ps.
2015 Audi Exclusive RS4 B8 - Merlin Purple - JCWF Exhaust
2009 Audi RS6 C6 - Phantom Black - 730ps MRC Tuned
2008 Audi RS4 B7 - Phantom Black - 449ps MRC Tuned
2002 Peugeot 106 Gti - Mauritius blue - 430ps Home built.

MikeFish
Cruising

Post by MikeFish » Wed Jul 22, 2015 11:21 am

RossDagley wrote:Mike do you want some wheel nut caps/covers? I have some I bought for the RS6 but never fitted brand new in packaging. Can post them to you if you want them? Useless to me.
Funny you should say that. I was talking about this yesterday when I picked them up. I have all the caps I just took them off because I don't like them. But I noticed they looked odd without them once they wheels had been refitted. Del said you can buy black ones so I might look if I can find any if not I'll probably spray mine. If I spray them a spare set might be handy though. I'll let you before aitp.

Return to “Readers' Rides”