Mike's big RS4 modding project

Start a topic to show off your car or keep us updated on your journey
DavidRS4
4th Gear

Re: Mike's big RS4 modding project

Post by DavidRS4 » Tue Jun 03, 2014 8:33 am

Loving it!
B7 RS4 Saloon, Phantom Black, Forge Oil Cooler Kit, 20 x 10.5j Vossens, Carbon Front Splitter, KW V3 Coilovers, Adjustable Front Arms, 20mm Spacers, Revolution Carbon Air Box, Rear 4 Pot Porsche Brake Conversion, Stud & Nut Kit, Milltek Non Res Non Valved Exhaust, RS6 Gloss Black Grill, Slightly Tinted Windows, JH Motorsports Stage 3R Clutch & Lightweight Flywheel, Robnic Braided Clutch Line. JH Motorsports Lightweight Grooved F & R Rotors with Braided Hoses and Hawk Pads

Rick_RS4
Cruising

Post by Rick_RS4 » Tue Jun 03, 2014 1:53 pm

Love the interior bits Mike, did you take the seat backs off or just push the wrap between the seat back and the leather?

On your screen where did you put the nav antenna? Looking to get a pioneer avic screen sometime.

MikeFish
Cruising

Post by MikeFish » Tue Jun 03, 2014 2:33 pm

For the seats I took them out, then removed the side panels to wrap seperately.
I did a little test wrap to see if I could do it without removing the seat belt hoops and leather but it didn't work. I was too nervous running a scalpel along the edge of the leather and even when I did manage to do it, it wasn't possible to get the wrap in far enough and cut it stright enough so I peeled the leather away from the seat back all the way round so it was only attached at the base and took the seat belt hoop trim out too.

I initially had the sat nav antenna resting on the dash (in the corner with the cable tucked in the gap between A-pillar trim and dashboard until I figured out how to convert the OEM antenna connector to the Alpine connector. I didn't get very far with this as I'm not familair with either type of connector so searching without the names drew a blank. So the next plan was to put it under the mesh that covers the centre speaker. I think in one of the photos of my seats / trim you can see the speaker wires coming out the top of the dash. However, i am struglling to route a wire from that little compartment to under the dash (I have the glove box out so should be easy), I can't find a way past the air vents without drilling holes. So currently I have it tucked uner the dash roughly behind the passenger airbag / bglovebox area. I don't pick up as many satelites there but I still mamange to get between 7-9 which is more than enough. Whe nit was on the dash I could see 11 or 12. I think it takes longer to get a cold lock on satellites but it might be becuase I am now actually checking it every day and it was always like that. I will put it back on the dash and see how long it takes. If there is not much difference then I think I will just secure it under the dash and start to put my dash back together.

MikeFish
Cruising

Post by MikeFish » Tue Jun 03, 2014 5:31 pm

Also, when I stripped the seat, the inside of the back bit looked like it was made of some sort of weave which I'm assuming is carbon fibre. I just assumed it was plastic but that doesn't look to be the case. For all those that are carbon skinning the seats I wonder if it's possible to rub the black bit on the outside away (which looks like a layer of plastic) to reveal the weave. Its almost as if they made the seat out of carbon and plastic skinned it.

sar
4th Gear

Post by sar » Tue Jun 03, 2014 6:43 pm

i think they are kevlar or something similar.
516.jpg
b7rs4 phantom black, titan pack.

MikeFish
Cruising

Post by MikeFish » Tue Jun 03, 2014 7:13 pm

It looks like fibreglass in that photo but there was definitely some sort of weave underneath the resin or whatever it was on top. Maybe fibreglass matting? I don't know how they make kevlar so didn't even think of that.

Rick_RS4
Cruising

Post by Rick_RS4 » Tue Jun 03, 2014 9:52 pm

great thanks Mike, not changing just yet just thinking of the pros and cons, the only real con for me is loosing the dis but you still get radio stations on it at the top that will be fine as i dont really look at that anyway.

fireheed
Neutral

Post by fireheed » Wed Jun 04, 2014 1:48 am

I really like the white trim and seat backs. Brighten ups the interior a good bit.

flying_tomatoes
2nd Gear

Post by flying_tomatoes » Thu Jun 12, 2014 2:05 pm

good looking build! love what you did with your seat backs :shock:
2007 RS4 - Bagged and Blown. IG: @Flying_Tomatoes

MikeFish
Cruising

Post by MikeFish » Thu Jun 12, 2014 11:56 pm

Thanks guys.
Tomato, I was looking at your seats and it looked like you had gloss back seat backs but there was no clear shots of it.

MikeFish
Cruising

Post by MikeFish » Fri Jun 13, 2014 12:26 am

Just looking at this shot and it looks a bit more like it does in the flesh so thought I'd share it with you.

flying_tomatoes
2nd Gear

Post by flying_tomatoes » Fri Jun 13, 2014 2:57 am

MikeFish wrote:Thanks guys.
Tomato, I was looking at your seats and it looked like you had gloss back seat backs but there was no clear shots of it.
yes sir! painted them piano black to match the belt line trim. i don't really have any great pics but this should give you a good idea. thats my buddy Kev in the driver seat working on the coding, haha. this was the night we put them in.

coffey555
5th Gear

Post by coffey555 » Fri Jun 13, 2014 9:39 am

My old Mk5 R32 had piano black seat backs, I did look at getting a pair for my car but the price was ridiculous!

It would have looked really nice against my silver leather but I had already spent enough on the seats already.

Never thought of painting them though although Argon do some nice carbon skins.

Loving the two tone interior, certainly more interesting than the black.

Blobproof for the wife too....
Misano Red RS4 B7 Avant

MikeFish
Cruising

Post by MikeFish » Fri Jun 13, 2014 5:03 pm

Piano black backs and white backs are both available from the factory on certain cars (my wife has piano black back but plain side panels and the B7 RS4 did have a limited edition white car which came with white seat backs). I did think about calling audi to get prices for these but couldn't be bothered with the hassle of trying to explain it all to the stealer.

flying_tomatoes
2nd Gear

Post by flying_tomatoes » Fri Jun 13, 2014 5:19 pm

MikeFish wrote:Piano black backs and white backs are both available from the factory on certain cars (my wife has piano black back but plain side panels and the B7 RS4 did have a limited edition white car which came with white seat backs). I did think about calling audi to get prices for these but couldn't be bothered with the hassle of trying to explain it all to the stealer.
yes I've seen this before but its hard enough getting seats over here let alone in specific colors and options, haha. we get the shaft all round over here

Return to “Readers' Rides”