20 x 10.5 wheels all round - tyres and offsets with SS

4.2 V8 32v Naturally Aspirated - 414 bhp
RS4-AL
2nd Gear

20 x 10.5 wheels all round - tyres and offsets with SS

Post by RS4-AL » Wed Jan 02, 2013 12:38 pm

Hey guys,

Happy New Year and all that! Just looking for some input from fellow members on a wheel set up I'm considering. I'm looking at deep concave all round, but with that comes the responsibility of going wide... I'd be looking at 20 x 10.5's all round. I think they'd be okay out back on the rears, but i'm not so sure up front. I run SS suspension all round but think i'd need to drop it a little bit further to get the car sitting right on 20's otherwise it'll look too jacked up. Has anyone had any experience of running 20 x 10.5's all round, and if so what offsets and tyre sizes may work best to avoid catching any of the suspension, etc. on turn-in?

Thanks, Al
SOLD: B7 RS4 Saloon black optics
Dodge RAM 1500 Quad Cab 5.7 V8 - NOW GONE along with my shares in Shell
Previous: M3 CSL

dickytrickster
2nd Gear

Re: 20 x 10.5 wheels all round - tyres and offsets with SS

Post by dickytrickster » Wed Jan 02, 2013 11:05 pm

Hi mate

I run 20x10 on my car et 29,the wheels only just miss the suspension arm and sit pretty much flush with the arches front and back.
Running wheel this wide you will have to run stretched tyres,i tried 275's at first but couldnt get them on the car as they were hitting the suspension!
In the end i had to go for 255-30-20.
My car is on ss(not for long!) and there is no rubbing at all.

Shiv ran 10.5 on his car but was only a demo for his company and used for showes.think most run 9.5(luke at Plush) or 10's

Hope this helps mate

Rich

MikeFish
Cruising

Post by MikeFish » Thu Jan 03, 2013 12:10 am

10.5 is bloody wide for the B7.
If you went for the same offset (ET29) you'd be sticking out and extra 18mm on both the inside and outside. 18 mm on the outside will put the wheel past the arch won't it? Which means you need to go for a higher offset but that means more than 18mm on the inside.
You are probably best off going for a 10" wheel on the front then seeing if you can get away with the 10.5 on the rear with the smaller discs/ calipers and as they don't need to turn either (steer).
Most cars with deep concaves run wider rears probably for is very reason. Have you seen Luke's wheels? His rear wheels are lovely, even better looking in the flesh, massive concave, and Rich says they are just 9.5.
Ive been looking for 9.5 concaves too. Can't afford Luke's wheels though.
Which wheels you got your eye on? Are they custom made so you can decide on exact offset?

slowmonkey
2nd Gear

Post by slowmonkey » Thu Jan 03, 2013 5:03 pm

I'm running 9.5's, you could get 10's under as said but I think 10.5 would be a struggle and might be a challenge with tyre size as well, you could prob do it with a 245 but that would be very stretched for a car with the performance and grip of a RS4. Are the wheels only available in 10.5 ?
| 2007 Daytona Avant | Buckets | 20" BBS CK's | H&R Coilovers | Valved Milltek res | hole in the fuel tank|

DavidRS4
4th Gear

Post by DavidRS4 » Thu Jan 03, 2013 7:23 pm

slowmonkey can we see a pic of your car. Whhels look amazing from the small clip. Interested to see what your wheels look like on the car :bigblink:
B7 RS4 Saloon, Phantom Black, Forge Oil Cooler Kit, 20 x 10.5j Vossens, Carbon Front Splitter, KW V3 Coilovers, Adjustable Front Arms, 20mm Spacers, Revolution Carbon Air Box, Rear 4 Pot Porsche Brake Conversion, Stud & Nut Kit, Milltek Non Res Non Valved Exhaust, RS6 Gloss Black Grill, Slightly Tinted Windows, JH Motorsports Stage 3R Clutch & Lightweight Flywheel, Robnic Braided Clutch Line. JH Motorsports Lightweight Grooved F & R Rotors with Braided Hoses and Hawk Pads

MikeFish
Cruising

Post by MikeFish » Thu Jan 03, 2013 7:27 pm

DavidRS4 wrote:slowmonkey can we see a pic of your car. Whhels look amazing from the small clip. Interested to see what your wheels look like on the car :bigblink:
Yes, piccies please. My wife bought a set of BBS CH-Rs today for her S3 so I've been considering a bigger set for the 4.

slowmonkey
2nd Gear

Post by slowmonkey » Thu Jan 03, 2013 7:35 pm

of course :D

| 2007 Daytona Avant | Buckets | 20" BBS CK's | H&R Coilovers | Valved Milltek res | hole in the fuel tank|

RS4-AL
2nd Gear

Post by RS4-AL » Thu Jan 03, 2013 7:51 pm

slowmonkey wrote:I'm running 9.5's, you could get 10's under as said but I think 10.5 would be a struggle and might be a challenge with tyre size as well, you could prob do it with a 245 but that would be very stretched for a car with the performance and grip of a RS4. Are the wheels only available in 10.5 ?

The 'correct' set up for this set of wheels is technically 9's on the fronts and 10.5's on the rears, but as the rears are super deep concave I was toying with the idea of running the 10.5's up front for super deep concave all round, but from what I've seen online and the posts in this thread I might be asking too much putting 10.5's up front, even if it would look the nuts! The 9's designed for the fronts are still medium concave so that would still look good without compromising - that is the intended set up anyway, just me trying something different as usual...

So the concensus is 10.5's on the rear with say 275/30/20's (should work?), and 9's up front with 255/30/20's...?
MikeFish wrote:10.5 is bloody wide for the B7.
If you went for the same offset (ET29) you'd be sticking out and extra 18mm on both the inside and outside. 18 mm on the outside will put the wheel past the arch won't it? Which means you need to go for a higher offset but that means more than 18mm on the inside.
You are probably best off going for a 10" wheel on the front then seeing if you can get away with the 10.5 on the rear with the smaller discs/ calipers and as they don't need to turn either (steer).
Most cars with deep concaves run wider rears probably for is very reason. Have you seen Luke's wheels? His rear wheels are lovely, even better looking in the flesh, massive concave, and Rich says they are just 9.5.
Which wheels you got your eye on? Are they custom made so you can decide on exact offset?
Thanks Mikefish, haven't seen Lukes wheels, can you post a link? Slowmonkey, yours look extremely nice.

Re the wheels Mikefish, it's actually a new business I'm just getting involved in with a few others, setting up as the UK distributor for a wheel brand based in the US (they run plenty of their sets on the fast BMW's and Mercs but none on the Audi's as yet, hence the questions to see what experience people have had with regards to max widths, offsets, etc. to see if i could get away with going for the showcar super deep concave look all round, but for day to day driving i expect not!), so forgive me I can't mention the name quite yet as we're still tying up all the agreements, etc.

The first few sets of wheels will be going on a few select cars including mine as the initial 'show cars / demo cars'.

MikeFish
Cruising

Post by MikeFish » Thu Jan 03, 2013 8:11 pm

Here you go:

MikeFish
Cruising

Post by MikeFish » Thu Jan 03, 2013 8:13 pm

Like I said before, the pictures don't really do them justice. It wasn't till I saw them in real life that I really noticed how concave they actually are!
And yes, those are actually 16 pot calipers on the front!

dickytrickster
2nd Gear

Post by dickytrickster » Fri Jan 04, 2013 12:12 am

RS4-AL wrote:
slowmonkey wrote:I'm running 9.5's, you could get 10's under as said but I think 10.5 would be a struggle and might be a challenge with tyre size as well, you could prob do it with a 245 but that would be very stretched for a car with the performance and grip of a RS4. Are the wheels only available in 10.5 ?

The 'correct' set up for this set of wheels is technically 9's on the fronts and 10.5's on the rears, but as the rears are super deep concave I was toying with the idea of running the 10.5's up front for super deep concave all round, but from what I've seen online and the posts in this thread I might be asking too much putting 10.5's up front, even if it would look the nuts! The 9's designed for the fronts are still medium concave so that would still look good without compromising - that is the intended set up anyway, just me trying something different as usual...

So the concensus is 10.5's on the rear with say 275/30/20's (should work?), and 9's up front with 255/30/20's...?
MikeFish wrote:10.5 is bloody wide for the B7.

Thanks Mikefish, haven't seen Lukes wheels, can you post a link? Slowmonkey, yours look extremely nice.

Re the wheels Mikefish, it's actually a new business I'm just getting involved in with a few others, setting up as the UK distributor for a wheel brand based in the US (they run plenty of their sets on the fast BMW's and Mercs but none on the Audi's as yet, hence the questions to see what experience people have had with regards to max widths, offsets, etc. to see if i could get away with going for the showcar super deep concave look all round, but for day to day driving i expect not!), so forgive me I can't mention the name quite yet as we're still tying up all the agreements, etc.

The first few sets of wheels will be going on a few select cars including mine as the initial 'show cars / demo cars'.

Correct me if im wrong. But as with my Golf Rallye don't you have to run the same rolling radius front and back on 4wd cars or it will put to much strain on the running gear?

running 10.5 will all be down to getting the et bang on. contact shiv at design 4 automotive as said before he ran 10.5x19's

hope this helps mate

MikeFish wrote:Like I said before, the pictures don't really do them justice. It wasn't till I saw them in real life that I really noticed how concave they actually are!
And yes, those are actually 16 pot calipers on the front!
Think its about time Luke changed his wheels! Im going to try to convince him of this when my car goes in at the end of the month :thumbs:

MikeFish
Cruising

Post by MikeFish » Fri Jan 04, 2013 1:05 am

I was thinking the same, he needs to get rid of those old rims, although I bet they will still be out of my price range second hand.

MikeFish
Cruising

Post by MikeFish » Fri Jan 04, 2013 1:13 am

Also, if he went for a 275/30/20 on the rear and 255/30/20 on the front, the difference is diameter is less than 2% (12mm). Not a big difference and not a lot more than different amounts of tyre wear can make.

RS4-AL
2nd Gear

Post by RS4-AL » Thu Jan 10, 2013 4:37 pm

MikeFish wrote:Also, if he went for a 275/30/20 on the rear and 255/30/20 on the front, the difference is diameter is less than 2% (12mm). Not a big difference and not a lot more than different amounts of tyre wear can make.
Interesting point that I'd not factored in, but from the sounds of it, will be fine.

So I now have some options and am busy trying to figure out the right offsets so I can get the wide ol boys under the arches without issue - mikefish any assistance is greatly appreciated as you seem to have a sensible grasp of offsets.

Fronts:
20 x 9's. I have a choice of 24, 32 and 45 offsets. Comparing against my current OEM wheels I make it out to be the following:
24 would give me 5mm more clearance on the inner side and the wheel will sit 5mm further out
32 gives a 3mm retraction on the inner clearance and the same on the outer (probably not good)
45, well, that's just plain silly.
So, I'm thinking et24 would be the way to go on the fronts?

Rears:
20 x 10.5's, with a choice of 25, 42, and 45 offsets, so if my calcs are right....
25 gives 15mm less clearance on the inner (not great), and extends by 23mm on the outer.
42 gives 32mm less inner clearance (worse), and extends outer by just 6mm
45 gives me a broken car.
This one is the toughy... any thoughts? Was thinking the et25 may work out okay if i'm running 275/30/20's. Or will having 15mm less inner clearance be too much and result in the wheel/tyre touching the suspension..?
dickytrickster wrote:running 10.5 will all be down to getting the et bang on. contact shiv at design 4 automotive as said before he ran 10.5x19'shope this helps mate
do you have any photos of shiv's running 10.5's? would be good to see. I will drop him a line, do you know his RS246 profile?

MikeFish
Cruising

Post by MikeFish » Thu Jan 10, 2013 4:57 pm

For the fronts, ET24 is by far the best choice. It will be the same as having 5mm spacers on. If you add a set of 3mm spacers you will end up with the equivalent of 8mm spacers to a standard wheel so no clearance issues. Don't forget though, that just because the offset is OK it doesn't necessarily mean the spokes will clear the calipers. But as you are looking at a lower ET you should be OK but ultimately it depends on the wheel design.

I'm looking at the rear sizes now.

Return to “RS4 (B7 Typ 8E) 2006–2008”