RS4 BRAKE JUDDER

4.2 V8 32v Naturally Aspirated - 414 bhp
Bogyoch
Neutral

Re: RS4 BRAKE JUDDER

Post by Bogyoch » Wed Apr 15, 2015 7:44 pm

Certainly check on any warranty that can be had, but otherwise skimming is your best option.

Ianth
Neutral

Post by Ianth » Thu Apr 16, 2015 9:59 am

Just dropped it off,spoke with the advisor and he assures me this is a unusual problem for a rs4,lol.
He also confirmed that even though its had 3 sets on in the last 5/years 6000 miles they wouldn't be covered on warranty because the last set was fitted free of charge as a goodwill gesture.
So looks like I will have to take it up with Audi uk if indeed the discs are warped again.may need for tips as to how best to proceed later :-)

Covkiller
Top Gear

Post by Covkiller » Sat Apr 18, 2015 10:33 pm

My AP disks shudder after some hard laps at the Nurburgring, I mean hard, my pads were smoking badly. All the way to Berlin then back to Cov.
But after a good while they were fine again. This is down to glazing for sure, they are fine now and had this for two annual trips. The 1st time, even had AP check if they were warped and they were not. They skimmed them by 1 thousandth of an inch to get rid of the glazing and hey presto no judder.
RS4 B7, Mugello Blue, K&W V3 & HR ARBs, set up by Centre Gravity, Milltek Valved Non Res & cat bypass pipes, BMC air filter, braided hoses, DOT 5.1, Terraclean, MRC Full Carbon Clean, MRC remap 448PS 477NM, 20" S7 alloys with 4mm spacers & Hawke spigots 66.6 > 57.1, AP Racing front discs. Sold Sept 2019. Now rocking an F80 M3

Ianth
Neutral

Post by Ianth » Sun Apr 19, 2015 6:50 pm

I picked my car up from Audi on Friday whilst awaiting a call from a manager,jumps in the car and noticed it had a complimentary wash without my requesting it,(I actualy forgot to tell them not to let the monkeys loose on it with there brillo's),lets the handbrake off and.............clunk when I set off! They can't all be morons surely,unless they are on commission.

Lukes3
4th Gear

Post by Lukes3 » Sun Apr 19, 2015 7:09 pm

Covkiller wrote:My AP disks shudder after some hard laps at the Nurburgring, I mean hard, my pads were smoking badly. All the way to Berlin then back to Cov.
But after a good while they were fine again. This is down to glazing for sure, they are fine now and had this for two annual trips. The 1st time, even had AP check if they were warped and they were not. They skimmed them by 1 thousandth of an inch to get rid of the glazing and hey presto no judder.
How much are the AP discs?
Current-saloon rs4,Full decat Xpipe miltek,cold air feed,BMC air filter, TTS supercharged, MRC stage 3 L/C F/S,hell s+s brake lines,AP racing rotors + vagbremtechnic bells, kw v3s clifford 650mk2

Gone-audi s3 8p stage2+ with loba lo400 turbo.

Covkiller
Top Gear

Post by Covkiller » Tue Apr 21, 2015 10:14 pm

In Brugge at the moment. Bloody hell fire the beers strong over here. :drink:
Zooming home tomorrow and will let you know.
:thumbs:
RS4 B7, Mugello Blue, K&W V3 & HR ARBs, set up by Centre Gravity, Milltek Valved Non Res & cat bypass pipes, BMC air filter, braided hoses, DOT 5.1, Terraclean, MRC Full Carbon Clean, MRC remap 448PS 477NM, 20" S7 alloys with 4mm spacers & Hawke spigots 66.6 > 57.1, AP Racing front discs. Sold Sept 2019. Now rocking an F80 M3

Covkiller
Top Gear

Post by Covkiller » Wed Apr 22, 2015 4:04 pm

AP Racing front brakes cost breakdown:
Ø365 x 34mm Disc & Mounting Bobbin Kit Numbers:
- Drilled Face Disc.
RH = CP8080Z14SD £280.30
LH = CP8080Z15SD £280.30
Discs Total Pair £560.59

AP Racing Mounting Bell Part Number:
RH / LH = CP8080Z140. £94.90
Bells Total Paid £189.79

All above prices inc VAT
You can re-use the bells in the future, so this is a one off cost. There is a lead time ie about a month.

craigsound
Neutral

Post by craigsound » Thu Apr 23, 2015 3:58 pm

I recently got a B7 and I'm suffering similar issues, the brakes on the test drive were juddering and the garage said they would get them skimmed to solve the problem. They seemed ok when I picked the car up but after a couple of weeks they are worse than ever. I have had another garage tell me that they are warped and the original garage are wanting to look at the brakes. I don't quite understand the skimming process but surely the problem is further up the line?

The pads and discs are VW Phaelons on the front ( which wasn't an upgrade by myself )

Brooner
Cruising

Post by Brooner » Sat Apr 25, 2015 9:37 am

craigsound wrote:I recently got a B7 and I'm suffering similar issues, the brakes on the test drive were juddering and the garage said they would get them skimmed to solve the problem. They seemed ok when I picked the car up but after a couple of weeks they are worse than ever. I have had another garage tell me that they are warped and the original garage are wanting to look at the brakes. I don't quite understand the skimming process but surely the problem is further up the line?

The pads and discs are VW Phaetons on the front ( which wasn't an upgrade by myself )
if they do agree that there warped i would get them to put the original disks back on as i never had any issues with my B7 brakes
just be sure to bed them in correctly i use this method http://www.zeckhausen.com/bedding_in_brakes.htm
and to date never had any issues with any of my disks warping or juddering

then if you start to get a squeak or judder just repeat the above process to remove and pad build up on the disks from stop start driving
2018 B9 RS4 Navarra Blue
2013 B8 RS4 Sepang Blue
2007 B7 RS4 Avant Sprint Blue
2001 B5 RS4 Nogaro Blue
1998 B5 S4 Avant Kingfisher Blue
1993 B4 S2 Avant laser Red

craigsound
Neutral

Post by craigsound » Wed May 13, 2015 4:36 pm

Hey Brooner,

Thanks for the reply, the garage still want to skim them but I've had another garage confirm they are warped. I am in a dispute with the garage and finance company now as I want them replaced and they want to reskim them despite it not working the first time.

RossDagley
Top Gear

Post by RossDagley » Wed May 13, 2015 4:51 pm

Brakes dont warp.

Notwithstanding that, they can judder from pad material buildup.

Were the discs skimmed off the car on on the car previously? If off the car, it's no surprise the judder has come back - the problem isn't with the discs but something else - most likely hub runout, or refurbished alloy wheels, mismatched torque on wheel bolts etc. If the problem is the hub(s) or wheels, even fitting new discs wont help - it'll just be back in a few weeks time.

I recommend you get them skimmed on the car. Then check your hubs are fine, and make sure the backs of your wheels are absolutely perfectly clean and flat (and not painted/powder coated etc). This is the number 1 culprit. Should then be good to go.
Believe only the man who has nothing to gain from what he says.

2017 BMW M4 Competition Pack - Mineral Grey - 530ps by bootmod3, JCWeldfab exhaust.
Previously:
Renault Megane R26 - Liquid Yellow - 275ps.
2015 Audi Exclusive RS4 B8 - Merlin Purple - JCWF Exhaust
2009 Audi RS6 C6 - Phantom Black - 730ps MRC Tuned
2008 Audi RS4 B7 - Phantom Black - 449ps MRC Tuned
2002 Peugeot 106 Gti - Mauritius blue - 430ps Home built.

Gavla
3rd Gear

Post by Gavla » Wed May 13, 2015 5:01 pm

RossDagley wrote:Brakes dont warp.

Were the discs skimmed off the car on on the car previously? If off the car, it's no surprise the judder has come back - the problem isn't with the discs but something else - most likely hub runout, or refurbished alloy wheels, mismatched torque on wheel bolts etc. If the problem is the hub(s) or wheels, even fitting new discs wont help - it'll just be back in a few weeks time.

I recommend you get them skimmed on the car. Then check your hubs are fine, and make sure the backs of your wheels are absolutely perfectly clean and flat (and not painted/powder coated etc). This is the number 1 culprit. Should then be good to go.
+1
RS4 (B7) Saloon Phantom Black, Black Optics, Tech Pack, KW Lowering Spring Kit, Stern Adjustable Arms, MRC Stage 2, Stage 1 Manifold, CAF, LOBA Stage 1 Clutch,
447ps/490nm (MRC), Scorpion Exhaust Non-Res Black Tips, Pre-cats gutted, Shadow Black Chrome Alloys, Viper Alarm, LED Interior lights, Tints

toyneg
5th Gear

Post by toyneg » Wed May 13, 2015 5:13 pm

Gavla wrote:
RossDagley wrote:Brakes dont warp.

+1
+2
Glacier White 2017 S3 Saloon with all the Tech.
Gone but not forgotten - B7 RS4 Saloon Black - H&R spacers, Tints, Gun Metal Alloys, MRC Stage 2, Pre Cats, Milltek Non Res, K/W Springs, MRC Full Carbon clean - 431ps
previous - B6 A4 1.8T S-Line 215PS

RossDagley
Top Gear

Post by RossDagley » Wed May 13, 2015 5:16 pm

In an unrelated coincidence, my RS6 is being brake skimmed Friday :p
Believe only the man who has nothing to gain from what he says.

2017 BMW M4 Competition Pack - Mineral Grey - 530ps by bootmod3, JCWeldfab exhaust.
Previously:
Renault Megane R26 - Liquid Yellow - 275ps.
2015 Audi Exclusive RS4 B8 - Merlin Purple - JCWF Exhaust
2009 Audi RS6 C6 - Phantom Black - 730ps MRC Tuned
2008 Audi RS4 B7 - Phantom Black - 449ps MRC Tuned
2002 Peugeot 106 Gti - Mauritius blue - 430ps Home built.

RS4_Ollie
2nd Gear

Post by RS4_Ollie » Wed May 13, 2015 7:31 pm

If there was no judder after they were skimmed then it has returned with nothing else being changed it must be a build up of pad material on the disc, as said above discs don't warp not of the thickness of the RS4's.

Return to “RS4 (B7 Typ 8E) 2006–2008”