RS4 BRAKE JUDDER

4.2 V8 32v Naturally Aspirated - 414 bhp
manual_daniel
2nd Gear

Re: RS4 BRAKE JUDDER

Post by manual_daniel » Fri Aug 23, 2013 6:48 am

Thanks to everyone for the excellent information here.
I bought my car in Germany, brakes had terrible judder. Insisted on replacement and dealer fitted new discs and pads. Collected the car, drove back to Nice, slight judder appeared from 60kph down.
After reading this I am going to give it a calculated, heavy braking session to attempt to clear it.
It makes the most sense regarding deposits and buildup, and seems to be in line with what most people are saying.
Thanks again,
Daniel
Now: 2007 Daytona RS4 Avant
Passed On: 2003 Mugello RS6 Sedan

sync24
5th Gear

Post by sync24 » Thu Aug 29, 2013 9:36 pm

Well, I've cured mine totally - Even though I had a complete set of discs and pads all round about 4 months ago, I developed really bad brake judder. A track day just made things worse. So here's something for others to try ....

1) Ensure all the vent holes on all the discs are clear - I used a neighbours compressor to clear mine out and the also the cleared the excess dust from all four calpers.
2) Stop using the handbrake after a long trip or where your discs are hot when parking you car up. I just leave my car in reverse or second now.

The combination of the above has completely cured my judder - I'd like to think that (1) had a lot to do with it but I can't prove it. Certainly (2) has made a massive difference in my case.
Last edited by sync24 on Fri Aug 30, 2013 1:33 pm, edited 2 times in total.

MikeFish
Cruising

Post by MikeFish » Thu Aug 29, 2013 10:45 pm

I had to re-read that about 4 times before I understood what you meant Kev. I initially thought you were suggesting in point 2 that we should use the handbrake to stop!!! The bit about leaving it in gear didn't match this crazy and dangerous solution of yours so I kept re-reading it until I actually realised you meant do no use the handbrake when hot! I'm a wally!

sync24
5th Gear

Post by sync24 » Fri Aug 30, 2013 1:33 pm

Text edited for Mike ;-)

Madmonkee
4th Gear

Post by Madmonkee » Fri Sep 06, 2013 10:35 pm

Abused mine again tonight, bish bosh no more break judder :) Slight whiplash tho ;) lol

Firestarter
4th Gear

Post by Firestarter » Fri Sep 06, 2013 11:13 pm

+1
Had a session at the Horton Test track (KEVIN will know where this is) before Mr T went to AmD and had slight judder before, however once given a good spanking no more judder.........apart from me trying not to say KKKKKKKKKKKKKEVIN
CheeRS
Louie

R35 GT-R
The Dark Destroyer
- ダークデストロイヤー
SVM650R stage 4.25
SVM 102mm decated zorst with Black Tips....ITS LOUD & HOT :-)
1050cc Asnu injectors,
SVM 80mm MAF intakes
K&N High Flow Filters
SVM Custom EcuTek map (Thanks John!!)
and a shitload of Carbon Fibre :-)

B7 RS4 (Mr T) - Gone but never forgotten and still in Surrey

Madmonkee
4th Gear

Post by Madmonkee » Sat Sep 07, 2013 9:16 pm

Decided to clear out my fronts today also, interestingly the front drilled holes align both sides of the disc, the rears don't? The backside of my fronts were clogged solid, I also reinstated the taper on the holes I could see. Can't wait to try them out :D

scaghead
Top Gear

Post by scaghead » Mon Sep 23, 2013 8:55 pm

Had my wheels refurbed a couple of months ago,and have noticed I am getting steering wheel judder at around 50/60 mph..I am presuming my problem is not related to brake judder as mine is not happening directly under braking?my logic is it was not there before the wheel refurb so I am thinking I have a slightly uneven finish on the inner side of the alloy/ hub?..thing I can't work out is the steering wheel only judders at 50/60 mph can't feel anything through the wheel below and above them speeds...any idea fellas would be appreciated..
R8 gen1 v10 plus white. Larini clubsport valved zorst.carbon side flicks,and fixed carbon spoiler.
Previous..RS4 Sprint blue loon..milltek non-res valved.revolution carbon air intake kit.cold air feed.carbon clean.MRC stage 2 remap..led interior lights.dectane led rear lights.led drls.Argon carbon oil splitter,race style front splitter,B and C door pillars and engine bottle cover..KW lowering springs.HEL brake lines all round.

P_G
Cruising

Post by P_G » Mon Sep 23, 2013 8:57 pm

Get your wheels on a Hunter GSP9700 rolling road balancer and it'll show whether your wheels are mishapen and go about dynamincally balancing them.

toyneg
5th Gear

Post by toyneg » Mon Sep 23, 2013 9:23 pm

scaghead wrote:Had my wheels refurbed a couple of months ago,and have noticed I am getting steering wheel judder at around 50/60 mph..I am presuming my problem is not related to brake judder as mine is not happening directly under braking?my logic is it was not there before the wheel refurb so I am thinking I have a slightly uneven finish on the inner side of the alloy/ hub?..thing I can't work out is the steering wheel only judders at 50/60 mph can't feel anything through the wheel below and above them speeds...any idea fellas would be appreciated..
scaghead, that's weird, I have exactly the same issue! Had my wheels refurbed and since just can't cure the problem, had the wheels swapped, balanced 3 times, 4 new tyres, it's so annoying eh!? Would welcome any ideas anyone has...
Glacier White 2017 S3 Saloon with all the Tech.
Gone but not forgotten - B7 RS4 Saloon Black - H&R spacers, Tints, Gun Metal Alloys, MRC Stage 2, Pre Cats, Milltek Non Res, K/W Springs, MRC Full Carbon clean - 431ps
previous - B6 A4 1.8T S-Line 215PS

scaghead
Top Gear

Post by scaghead » Mon Sep 23, 2013 9:35 pm

It is bloody annoying fella...
P_G how did you find out where one was near you? As on a google search could only find my nearest one if I lived in the states.. Not essex..
R8 gen1 v10 plus white. Larini clubsport valved zorst.carbon side flicks,and fixed carbon spoiler.
Previous..RS4 Sprint blue loon..milltek non-res valved.revolution carbon air intake kit.cold air feed.carbon clean.MRC stage 2 remap..led interior lights.dectane led rear lights.led drls.Argon carbon oil splitter,race style front splitter,B and C door pillars and engine bottle cover..KW lowering springs.HEL brake lines all round.

Surrey Sam
Cruising

Post by Surrey Sam » Mon Sep 23, 2013 10:17 pm

TPMS sensors perhaps?

In the refurbishment process they may have been over tightened causing damage to the thread and have now come a little loose.
Sepang Blue B8 RS4, MY14, All option packs, B&O, Adv Key, Adapt Cruise, Pan Roof, Akrapovic Titanium Exhaust, + more.
Previous - Sprint Blue B7 RS4 Avant, Ceramics, Sunroof, SS+, Buckets, FBSW, Bluetooth, 2010+ RNSe
Previous - Phantom Black B7 RS4 Avant, Black Optics, Titan pack, SS+, Buckets, FBSW

toyneg
5th Gear

Post by toyneg » Mon Sep 23, 2013 10:30 pm

Surrey Sam wrote:TPMS sensors perhaps?

In the refurbishment process they may have been over tightened causing damage to the thread and have now come a little loose.
def worth looking at Sam, it's weird because I have wheel wobble/vibration but only between 60 and 80. will try finding somewhere with that hunter wheel balancer as well, thanks PG
Glacier White 2017 S3 Saloon with all the Tech.
Gone but not forgotten - B7 RS4 Saloon Black - H&R spacers, Tints, Gun Metal Alloys, MRC Stage 2, Pre Cats, Milltek Non Res, K/W Springs, MRC Full Carbon clean - 431ps
previous - B6 A4 1.8T S-Line 215PS

MikeFish
Cruising

Post by MikeFish » Mon Sep 23, 2013 11:33 pm

Have you given the wheel hub a good clean? If it only happens at a certain speed and then oes away as the speed increases it defo sounds like a balancing issue. If the wheels are balanced then maybe they just aren't sitting flat against the hub. I know you said you checked the wheels but it could also be the hub.

sar
4th Gear

Post by sar » Tue Sep 24, 2013 9:18 am

could just be a <beep> balancing job by the people who did the refurb? or maybe one of the wheel weights has fell off?.

this happened to me shortly after i refurbed my wheels, i started to get a bit of vibration in the steering wheel around 70-80mph.
so took it back to the place that balanced my wheels and sure enough one 15g wheel weight had fell off!, re balanced the wheel added the 15g weight and vibration gone.
b7rs4 phantom black, titan pack.

Return to “RS4 (B7 Typ 8E) 2006–2008”