air box flap not functioning

4.2 V8 32v Naturally Aspirated - 414 bhp
adsgreen
Cruising

Re: air box flap not functioning

Post by adsgreen » Mon Jul 28, 2014 8:43 am

KGRS4 wrote:I have a standard motor, how would I know if the flap works without the use of a computer?
Not easy as you can't see it without taking the airbox apart.
with vcds you can hear it swish when it opens and closes along with the click from the solenoid.

Probably a good start would be to take the airfilter out and reach in and see if you can move it by hand.

sync24
5th Gear

Post by sync24 » Mon Jul 28, 2014 9:51 am

j1sgo wrote:I can't understand how you all just don't do the CAF and get rid of the tempramental airbox flap and solenoid :|

Gain great induction noise too!!
It's a mod too far for some of us - Audi engineered the car with the aux rads for a reason

neilparf
Cruising

Post by neilparf » Mon Jul 28, 2014 10:56 am

sync24 wrote:
j1sgo wrote:I can't understand how you all just don't do the CAF and get rid of the tempramental airbox flap and solenoid :|

It's a mod too far for some of us - Audi engineered the car with the aux rads for a reason
+1. If Audi spent time engineering two Aux rad's in to the car, I'd rather leave it in too. Besides, nothing is heard over my JCWF exhaust system on full chat :thumb:
Last edited by neilparf on Mon Jul 28, 2014 11:20 am, edited 2 times in total.
Gone but never forgotten:
2007 RS4 B7 Saloon, Metallic Silver with SS+.
LED's all round and Dectane LED tailights. KDS detail and paint. Lepsons black chrome, heavy on the silver wheels. JCWeldFab full system - valved and no pre-cats. MRC stage 2, de-flap and full carbon clean - 438PS and 489NM. HEL brake lines. H&R Spacers. Gtechniq C1 and EXO V2 coatings. 2010+ RNS-E. On the MRC dyno: http://youtu.be/y_k0VJ2--y8

neilparf
Cruising

Post by neilparf » Mon Jul 28, 2014 10:59 am

adsgreen wrote:
KGRS4 wrote:I have a standard motor, how would I know if the flap works without the use of a computer?
Not easy as you can't see it without taking the airbox apart.
with vcds you can hear it swish when it opens and closes along with the click from the solenoid.

Probably a good start would be to take the airfilter out and reach in and see if you can move it by hand.
KGRS4 - as Ad's mentions, remove the air box feed to the top, the top housing and filter and see if the flap is freely moving with some gentle force. Ultimately, the only way to test is with VCDS that the vacuum etc. is all working correctly - use this as a guide if not seen already: viewtopic.php?t=77235
Last edited by neilparf on Mon Jul 28, 2014 11:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
LED's all round and Dectane LED tailights. KDS detail and paint. Lepsons black chrome, heavy on the silver wheels. JCWeldFab full system - valved and no pre-cats. MRC stage 2, de-flap and full carbon clean - 438PS and 489NM. HEL brake lines. H&R Spacers. Gtechniq C1 and EXO V2 coatings. 2010+ RNS-E. On the MRC dyno: http://youtu.be/y_k0VJ2--y8

neilparf
Cruising

Post by neilparf » Mon Jul 28, 2014 11:16 am

j1sgo - did you do the CAF mod after you rectified the air box solenoid: viewtopic.php?f=35&t=77235&start=30#p470036 ?

MikeFish
Cruising

Post by MikeFish » Mon Jul 28, 2014 1:12 pm

neilparf wrote:
sync24 wrote:

+1. If Audi spent time engineering two Aux rad's in to the car, I'd rather leave it in too. Besides, nothing is heard over my JCWF exhaust system on full chat :thumb:
If they spent the same amount of time engineering the oil cooler and pipes then I'm glad I've taken mine out.

In all seriousness, the car is designed to run in some climates and countries much much hotter than the UK so all versions of the car have to be able to cope with any weather you could throw at it, so it's not a case of over engineering per se, it is just not necessary for our colder climate.

neilparf
Cruising

Post by neilparf » Mon Jul 28, 2014 2:22 pm

MikeFish wrote:If they spent the same amount of time engineering the oil cooler and pipes then I'm glad I've taken mine out.
Agreed. There are areas that appear to have been engineered by the team after a visit to the pub...
MikeFish wrote:In all seriousness, the car is designed to run in some climates and countries much much hotter than the UK so all versions of the car have to be able to cope with any weather you could throw at it, so it's not a case of over engineering per se, it is just not necessary for our colder climate.
I kind of know that, but equally ripping out some cooling does't sit that well with me. All to their own and that... :bigwave:

adsgreen
Cruising

Post by adsgreen » Mon Jul 28, 2014 2:34 pm

neilparf wrote:
MikeFish wrote:If they spent the same amount of time engineering the oil cooler and pipes then I'm glad I've taken mine out.
Agreed. There are areas that appear to have been engineered by the team after a visit to the pub...
MikeFish wrote:In all seriousness, the car is designed to run in some climates and countries much much hotter than the UK so all versions of the car have to be able to cope with any weather you could throw at it, so it's not a case of over engineering per se, it is just not necessary for our colder climate.
I kind of know that, but equally ripping out some cooling does't sit that well with me. All to their own and that... :bigwave:
I didn't notice any difference with and without the rad. Even prolonged running at high revs doesn't seem to trouble it. Plenty of people have made this modification and even some supercharged cars are running with one aux rad.
You may notice it if you ran on the autobahn though as one member posted.

RS6BRIT
3rd Gear

Post by RS6BRIT » Mon Jul 28, 2014 3:35 pm

I have to say that I'm with Ads on this one. I removed mine as it was weeping a little. Mine never gets hot enough to be actually in use (from my understanding it only opens in extreme heat??) and as such it just sits there rotting away until one day it ruptures and spills its guts, and you can bet your bottom dollar that will be the day its really hot and its actually open!! I'm all for keeping the car as Audi intended but to me the CAF had way more benefits than drawbacks.

neilparf
Cruising

Post by neilparf » Mon Jul 28, 2014 3:37 pm

adsgreen wrote:
neilparf wrote:
I didn't notice any difference with and without the rad. Even prolonged running at high revs doesn't seem to trouble it. Plenty of people have made this modification and even some supercharged cars are running with one aux rad.
You may notice it if you ran on the autobahn though as one member posted.
I suppose part of me can't be ars*d either to rip out the working Aux rad - equally, when the thing leaks ( :audibash: ) that may be the time to remove it in favour of a CAF...

adsgreen
Cruising

Post by adsgreen » Mon Jul 28, 2014 5:18 pm

Hah - Exactly what I did (my passenger side one was leaking).
Ripped out working one, binned old one and fitted CAI.
Within 12 hours moving the old one caused it to leak too...

adsgreen
Cruising

Post by adsgreen » Mon Jul 28, 2014 5:19 pm

RS6BRIT wrote:I have to say that I'm with Ads on this one. I removed mine as it was weeping a little. Mine never gets hot enough to be actually in use (from my understanding it only opens in extreme heat??) and as such it just sits there rotting away until one day it ruptures and spills its guts, and you can bet your bottom dollar that will be the day its really hot and its actually open!! I'm all for keeping the car as Audi intended but to me the CAF had way more benefits than drawbacks.
Yeah it's thermostatically controlled and under most conditions it won't do much. It's one reason why the leak is hard to track down as if it fails it only leaks when really hot (say sitting in traffic).

neilparf
Cruising

Post by neilparf » Mon Jul 28, 2014 5:21 pm

adsgreen wrote:Within 12 hours moving the old one caused it to leak too...
:audibash:

neilparf
Cruising

Post by neilparf » Mon Jul 28, 2014 5:21 pm

adsgreen wrote:
RS6BRIT wrote:...the leak is hard to track down as if it fails it only leaks when really hot (say sitting in traffic).
:audibash: :audibash:

MikeFish
Cruising

Post by MikeFish » Mon Jul 28, 2014 11:42 pm

adsgreen wrote:Hah - Exactly what I did (my passenger side one was leaking).
Ripped out working one, binned old one and fitted CAI.
Within 12 hours moving the old one caused it to leak too...
I thought about that too but I figured that the price of a new rad was less than the money it would cost me to take time off work to take it to the garage again when it would inevitably start leaking,

Return to “RS4 (B7 Typ 8E) 2006–2008”