RS6 RNS-E Upgrade Install

4.2 V8 40v biturbo - 450 bhp
4.2 V8 40v biturbo - 480 bhp (plus)
marmite
4th Gear

Post by marmite » Fri Jun 08, 2007 11:08 am

GardinerG wrote:
he used his mobile as a modem and got Internet on the move
Surely that's got to be worse than watching the TV or using a mobile phone :lol: Or was the keyboard built into the steering wheel?

Not actualy while driving!
03 RS6 Saloon Daytona Grey | Milltek | RS6+ Wheels | RS6 Mats | Tesco Club Card Points

GardinerG
Top Gear

Post by GardinerG » Fri Jun 08, 2007 12:34 pm

marmite wrote:
GardinerG wrote:
he used his mobile as a modem and got Internet on the move
Surely that's got to be worse than watching the TV or using a mobile phone :lol: Or was the keyboard built into the steering wheel?

Not actualy while driving!
:wink: :lol:

Fen
3rd Gear

Post by Fen » Fri Sep 07, 2007 11:12 pm

OK, my Rapsody is here as is my Kufatec interface. On the interface wiring there are a lot of grey unmarked wires going nowhere (looks like they were red on the harness in the photos) - I didn't get any instructions at all so can you advise where the loose wires connect?
Fen

'03 RS6 Avant in ebony black/grey leather, black optics, solar roof, dippy & foldy mirrors, RNS-E, Bluetooth, West Tuned SOLD

skiwi
4th Gear

Post by skiwi » Sat Sep 08, 2007 8:36 am

navplus.us is the forum for all the information you need...

Fen
3rd Gear

Post by Fen » Sat Sep 08, 2007 12:24 pm

Hmm - not sure if it is in this case. The wires on closer inspection are labelled - CAN Hi and CAN Lo are easy. "Masse Pin 12" and "zondlogik" I'm not sure about and I can't find anything yet on navplus.us to assist.
Fen

'03 RS6 Avant in ebony black/grey leather, black optics, solar roof, dippy & foldy mirrors, RNS-E, Bluetooth, West Tuned SOLD

johnny11
4th Gear

Post by johnny11 » Sat Sep 08, 2007 1:58 pm

i had the RNS-E installed earlier this year along with the bluetooth, but since having it done i just don`t just the phatnoise anymore i just use the sd card slots instead, does anyone else do the same?

Fen
3rd Gear

Post by Fen » Sat Sep 08, 2007 7:06 pm

I thought the Phatnoise way beyond crap - it's in the garage waiting to be eBayed.

Anyway I did lots of searching and some deducing and the Masse Pin 12 is pin 12 on the D connector (ground) and zondlogik is pin 13 - switched power for accessories such as amplifiers.

Everything is in and working and I'm just about to format the HDD I just installed in the Rapsody
Fen

skiwi
4th Gear

Post by skiwi » Sat Sep 08, 2007 9:54 pm

drop me a pm if you don't have the rns-e wiring diagram...

Fen
3rd Gear

Post by Fen » Sat Sep 08, 2007 10:34 pm

Thanks Dave - I had it myself but I think I binned it. It's all working now apart from the remote control for some reason (by that I mean the remote emulation using the RNS controls).

As an aside while I was testing different DVD ripping software outputs earlier with the lights on to illuminate the glove box I noticed the illumination on my RNS has started to flash brighter every few seconds - I'm sure it didn't do that before...
Fen

davidtimson
Neutral

Post by davidtimson » Mon Sep 10, 2007 1:23 pm

I had the upgrade already done on the car I bought a few months ago but the DVD function from the headunit, TV and telephone don't seem to be set up. Any suggestions for someone who can guide me through getting these elements set up, seems to be a shame having all the potential for use wasted. Also is there a newer version of the nav CD available as I have the orginal 2002 version and only 5 character postcode recognistion.

Thanks in advance

TDiAvant
2nd Gear

Post by TDiAvant » Mon Sep 10, 2007 5:52 pm

Even if you buy the 2007 DVD your still only going to get 5 ccharacter postcode recognistion, but the 2007 disk will enable TMC. Not sure what you mean by setup, but my phone number is on my web site if you what to contact me.

Fen
3rd Gear

Post by Fen » Mon Sep 10, 2007 9:53 pm

You don't get telephone functionality out of the box; it's via a separate Bluetooth module. Also the RNS-D TV doesn't work with the RNS-E so if the later one hasn't been installed you won''t have TV available. Lastly the units doesn't play DVDs, the DVD function is just for the map disk. It may well be that you have all the functionality installed in your car already.
Fen

Fen
3rd Gear

Post by Fen » Sun Sep 16, 2007 4:42 pm

Rich C (or anyone else with the Rapsody RSH110 and Kufatec interface) I can't get the remote to work - is there anything I've missed in the setup or do you just wire in the IMA and connect the socket on it to the Rapsody 3.5mm jack connection using the Kufatec adaptor cable?
Fen

CliveH
Cruising

Post by CliveH » Sun Sep 16, 2007 5:02 pm

Excellent write-up (as always) Rich! :thumbs:

I've bookmarked it for future use...
Clive

S2 ABY coupe, S4 B5 saloon, S4 B6 avant
RS4 B7 phantom black saloon, mint, fully loaded, low mileage - FOR SALE!- http://www.rs246.com/index.php?name=PNp ... ic&t=88981
S8 D2 facelift, RS6 C5 saloon, both gone but not forgotten

Rich_C
3rd Gear

Post by Rich_C » Mon Sep 17, 2007 8:08 pm

Fen wrote:Rich C (or anyone else with the Rapsody RSH110 and Kufatec interface) I can't get the remote to work - is there anything I've missed in the setup or do you just wire in the IMA and connect the socket on it to the Rapsody 3.5mm jack connection using the Kufatec adaptor cable?
Fen,

Are you actually using a remote as the Kufatec IMA supports full RNS-E control of the Rapsody unit or is the problem you're describing that you've got picture/audio displayed on the RNS-E screen from the Rapsody unit but you are unable to control the media player via the RNS-E buttons?

It's been a while so my memory is somewhat faded but I think that during my install we connected the supplied black cable from the IMA into the external IR port (blue connector under the USB connection) on the back of the Rapsody unit. First time round I got audio but no picture and no controls. With a bit of fiddling we 'somehow' got picture but still no controls. Turned out the Rapsody RSH-300 I was using wasn't coded in the IMA - works fine now that I've got the RSH-110 installed. At time of order I did go to great extent to ensure Kufatec coded the IMA for a Rapsody unit as there wasn't an obvious option when ordering.

If you're having technical difficulties drop Leigh (TDIAvant usually found on the B7 RS4 forum) a pm as he's more than happy to provide good advice regarding RNS-E related problems plus he's tackled a few IMA's in the past.

Rich.
The Present ...
C7 RS6 Avant - Estoril Blue - everything bar B&O - Akrapovic only upgrade (... so far)

The Past ...
C6 RS6 Saloon - Phantom Black - lots of factory extras but no tuning.
C5 RS6 Saloon - Daytona with black Interior - Full Milltek with 100 cpsi cats - AMD Remap - Bilstein PSS9 Coilovers - MTM Bimoto's - Phaeton Brake Upgrade - RNS-E + Bluetooth + Multi-media player + Phatbox
911 (996) Turbo - X50 - Aerokit - PCCB

Return to “RS6 / RS6 plus (C5 Typ 4B) 2002-2004”