ABS and ESP lights on

4.2 V8 40v biturbo - 450 bhp
4.2 V8 40v biturbo - 480 bhp (plus)
Shoppinit
Cruising

Re: ABS and ESP lights on

Post by Shoppinit » Sun Sep 18, 2016 4:45 pm

Pretty sure % of the problems with the ABS module are the electronics. I personally would definitely have a go at fixing the wiring and resoldering the module.

I also believe that it means that your wheel sensor fault is a red herring.
Daytona RS6 C5 Avant. Viper'd, Billies, Waggers, MTM box brain, C6 stoppers, xcarlink, R8 coolant cap (woohoo)
///M3 E46 | XC90 (V8, natch) | Passat GTE | RR Classic V8 flapper
"The major difference between a thing that might go wrong and a thing that cannot possibly go wrong is that when a thing that cannot possibly go wrong goes wrong it usually turns out to be impossible to get at and repair."

pete62
4th Gear

Post by pete62 » Sun Sep 18, 2016 4:54 pm

Shoppinit wrote:Pretty sure % of the problems with the ABS module are the electronics. I personally would definitely have a go at fixing the wiring and resoldering the module.

I also believe that it means that your wheel sensor fault is a red herring.
By resoldering the module do you mean taking the multi pin plug at the end of the bunch of wires apart and checking/ resoldering each pin?
If so not sure my soldering ability is up to that level. I'll have a look at taking it apart and see if there is anything obviously adrift.
I assume that replacing that whole section of wiring is a big and expensive job?

Shoppinit
Cruising

Post by Shoppinit » Sun Sep 18, 2016 5:13 pm

I suspect the problem is inside the module, probably a broken joint on the PCB near the connector, rather than on the wire.

But it wouldn't hurt to check the wiring that is accessible first. It's encouraging that it faults out when you move the wiring. Points to a fixable problem.
Daytona RS6 C5 Avant. Viper'd, Billies, Waggers, MTM box brain, C6 stoppers, xcarlink, R8 coolant cap (woohoo)
"The major difference between a thing that might go wrong and a thing that cannot possibly go wrong is that when a thing that cannot possibly go wrong goes wrong it usually turns out to be impossible to get at and repair."

pete62
4th Gear

Post by pete62 » Fri Sep 23, 2016 12:24 pm

Ok so I can't find anything obvious inside the connector that's loose , no loose pins on the module and I've immobilised the wiring loom as best as I could and still eventually always after about 20 miles the fault comes back.
So most things I read about this point to the abs module so I'm thinking about replacing It myself as the people mentioned in the post from audi_driver79 on page 1 describe the procedure and there's a video on tube showing how to do it. Doesn't seem that bad however I have questions:-

1) audi_driver79 to you- did you use this company and if so were you satisfied with what they did? Is it still cured?

2)Is this as simple as remove old unit , send off , when it comes back re attach and that's it. No recoding , no wizardry with vac com .
Just plug and play or am I kidding myself?

Thanks

audi_driver79
4th Gear

Post by audi_driver79 » Tue Sep 27, 2016 6:04 pm

Pete62 yes the problem is still cured and yes my mechanic sent it off while it was being serviced. He wasn't sure if it would need recoding hence why I wasn't sure I would make it to AITP. It just went straight back in as long as it's your module it should plug and play fingers crossed!
C5 RS6 Avant Mugello Blue, Koni Yellows & Original Springs.
1997 Audi Cabriolet 1.8 for when its Sunny!
2005 A2 Storm 1.4tdi 90bhp.

pete62
4th Gear

Post by pete62 » Tue Sep 27, 2016 6:54 pm

audi_driver79 wrote:Pete62 yes the problem is still cured and yes my mechanic sent it off while it was being serviced. He wasn't sure if it would need recoding hence why I wasn't sure I would make it to AITP. It just went straight back in as long as it's your module it should plug and play fingers crossed!
Thanks for that . I have filled in the test form and heard back from them .They say it should be plug and play as well. Hopefully on tomorrow's to do list.
(I noticed that the seller of bam_bams old car mentions similar symptoms on the end of his eBay advert so there's a lot of it about!)

Shoppinit
Cruising

Post by Shoppinit » Tue Sep 27, 2016 7:03 pm

Yeah, there's been loads of ABS controller failures recently. Must be like the alternator... programmed death at certain mileage.

Puggie
3rd Gear

Post by Puggie » Tue Sep 27, 2016 7:47 pm

Shoppinit wrote:Yeah, there's been loads of ABS controller failures recently. Must be like the alternator... programmed death at certain mileage.
Its probably electrolytic capacitors, if your circuit design or environment is harsh on them (probably heat and vibration if they are in the engine bay) then they typically have a life of 10-15 years. I've know them fail in 6-7years in a hot environment (recording studio mixing desk). If anyone has a dodgy unit and soldering skills then it may well be worth a look.

audi_driver79
4th Gear

Post by audi_driver79 » Tue Sep 27, 2016 9:37 pm

Yes its been brought up by a few people that electronic circuits have a certain lifespan it's a hazard of owning an ageing car.
C5 RS6 Avant Mugello Blue, Koni Yellows & Original Springs.
1997 Audi Cabriolet 1.8 for when its Sunny!
2005 A2 Storm 1.4tdi 90bhp.

Puggie
3rd Gear

Post by Puggie » Tue Sep 27, 2016 10:56 pm

Certain components have a definite lifespan yes, but the vast majority of these are relatively easily replaced. I doubt fixing an ABS unit will be more than a tenner in parts and an hours work, even going for top drawer components. I've re-repaired a couple of ecus due to 'recognised repair companies' fixing them and using the absolute cheapest components they can find, the capacitors which had a recognised life span of about 2000 hours, not a lot if you do the math.

pete62
4th Gear

: ABS and ESP lights on

Post by pete62 » Wed Sep 28, 2016 9:19 am

So not going according to plan as the online stuff I've seen didn't seem to have inter coolers air ducts in the way .
That aside came across this ( see pictures) should there be a bolt or something through these three holes?
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

pete62
4th Gear

Post by pete62 » Wed Sep 28, 2016 9:51 am

Or a bush maybe??

Shoppinit
Cruising

Post by Shoppinit » Wed Sep 28, 2016 10:46 am

No, it's for alignment purposes. There's a tool that goes in there.

bam_bam
Cruising

Post by bam_bam » Wed Sep 28, 2016 10:49 am

Shoppinit wrote:There's a tool that goes in there.
*snigger*
It's like an RS6 vagina.
No matter where you go, there you are.

pete62
4th Gear

Post by pete62 » Wed Sep 28, 2016 1:09 pm

Removed and posted. Fingers crossed!
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

Return to “RS6 / RS6 plus (C5 Typ 4B) 2002-2004”