Horns gone again...

4.2 V8 40v biturbo - 450 bhp
4.2 V8 40v biturbo - 480 bhp (plus)
MalcolmSu
4th Gear

Horns gone again...

Post by MalcolmSu » Sat Mar 28, 2015 10:32 pm

MOT's due next week so gave the car a quick check over to discover the horns have gone again. I think the only time they get used is in the MOT test! I think I'm on my 3rd or 4th set...

I saw a Stebel Nautilus air horn on Amazon that's quite compact that I think I could squeeze under the bonnet - or even behind the bumper depending on how it's mounted.

the kit seems to come with its own relay but I'm wondering why I can't just use the existing horns wiring as they're already controlled through a relay?

anyone else fitted one or a variant?

MalcolmSu
4th Gear

Re: Horns gone again...

Post by MalcolmSu » Sun Mar 29, 2015 8:07 pm

Fitted this afternoon, work fine off the existing relay. Just had to stick a meter across the existing cables to find which one became live when the horn button was pressed. Not wanting to have to take the bumper off again (for a long time) I brought the horn cables back into the engine compartment and extended them slightly. I made up a bracket, mounted it onto the bracket that holds the SAP and squeezed the horn in. I did have to shave about half a centimetre of the horn but I don't think that makes any difference.

This is the one I bought http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00H ... ge_o00_s00. They do a black and a chrome one but mine's bright red unfortunately...

ahoooga
5th Gear

Post by ahoooga » Sun Mar 29, 2015 8:30 pm

All you have to watch for with air horns is the voltage demand .
the compressor on them has a large demand for power . Yours says 20-30amp in the linked advert . did you check your original relay can handle 30amp flow and the wiring is capable of 30amp ?
IIRC , the horn fuse is 25a

MalcolmSu
4th Gear

Post by MalcolmSu » Sun Mar 29, 2015 10:56 pm

fair comment - all I want right now is just one toot to get me through its mot. ☺ Interestingly the horn didn't come with a relay... I'll look at rewiring it later.

Return to “RS6 / RS6 plus (C5 Typ 4B) 2002-2004”